(Member Review) EVGA 1080 FTW Hybrid

EVGA 1080 FTW Hybrid Review

Good Morning Everyone,

I wanted to share my experience with the EVGA 1080 FTW Hybrid on here since there is not much talk of any hybrid GPUS. I wouldn't consider myself an expert in building computers, but not a novice by any stretch of the word. I have built several computers and this is just an upgrade my from Gigabyte 770 OC.

First off what made me decide to buy this card over something else. Well at first I didnt plan to buy this. I was going to buy the standard FTW from NewEgg on black Friday but it was out of stock and I wouldn't get my copy of Watch Dogs 2 if I back ordered it. So when I was contemplating what to do I saw that the Hybrid was on sale for 30 off taking it down to only 20 above the standard FTW and it had my game included. I had already had the idea of dabling into an AIO for my CPU but hadn't pushed the button and I figured this could give me that step without having an additional product.

TL:DR
So down to the review part. I have had the product installed since Thursday evening (1 Dec 2016) and so far I am very happy with it. I will give you guys some numbers in a second but wanted to share the one thing that I noticed compared to my 770 right off the bat. I can hear the fan much more on this card than I could on the 770. I am not sure if this is due to the type / quality of fan on the radiator, the fact that it has to be constantly spinning because it is an AIO, or the fact the fan is attached to the outside of the case and my 770 was further down inside.

Now for the numbers part which is why most of you are here I assume. These are taken using EVGA Precision XOC and are not scientific in any capacity.

Slave BIOS:
Temp Idle: 26C
Temp Watch Dogs 2 40 min: 34C

Master BIOS:
Temp Idle: 28C
Temp Watch Dogs 2 40 min: 33C

Furmark Score:
Score: 4896
82 FPS
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Temp: 51C

Furmark 10 Min Run
Resolution: 2560 x 1600
FPS Aver: 76
    Min: 69
    Max: 77
Temp Min: 26C
Temp Max: 51C

Real World Test:
Utorrent All night temp 27C

Edit: Added Heaven Results after OC

Clock Speed: 2164

Temp: 42C

FPS: 47.3

Score 1192

I am still trying to figure out the best way to overclock since the OC scanner in Precision XOC just runs but never gives me anything but I hope to get that done at some point.

Edit: Current OC results

I am running a stable 2164 base clock at 66% power usage with auto fan. I am getting this at only about 42C.

If there is anything else you guys want to know, let me know and i will try to answer.

Thanks.

PS. Ill post some installed pics later but they are on my phone and i am feeling lazy.

That looks nice. I'm being tempted of buying an hybrid card. The temperatures are much better for sure.

Is the noise much worse, then...? I guess, when playing, the fan noise should not be that bad, since a traditional fans one needs to boost its fans and the hybrid one doesn't need it so much...

The fan noise when I am not playing I notice, but when I am playing with headphones on there is no sound that I hear from it.

I have contemplated changing the fan to something with a lower RPM speed to decrease the noise, but right now it inst bothering me.

Perhaps do one with the GTX 770 - everyone loves a comparison between a behemoth and tiny mouse :)

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

1 hour ago, FIXXX said:

Perhaps do one with the GTX 770

Probably not, it is all boxed up and ready to send out when I sell it. Get me 100 bucks or so back.

42 minutes ago, lieder1987 said:

Probably not, it is all boxed up and ready to send out when I sell it. Get me 100 bucks or so back.

100 bucks is better than a pile of tech sitting in the corner - losing money.

CPU R7 1700    Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro  RAM  24GB Corsair LPX 3000 (at 2933Mhz)    GPU EVGA GTX1070 SC  Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M    

Storage 1 x 1TB m.2, 1x 500GB SSD, 1x 1TB HDD, 1x 8TB HDD  PSU Corsair RM1000  Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev B (tower)

Synology NAS 1 x 4TB 1 x 8TB

16 minutes ago, FIXXX said:

100 bucks is better than a pile of tech sitting in the corner - losing money.

that was my thought LOL

So I also have a EVGA hybrid, but it is installed on a 1070. And my temps are quite a bit higher than yours. Probably because I have swapped out the stock radiator fan with an aftermarket 3-party fan. 

The fan I have is the Phanteks SP120 which is designed for radiators (though technically you can use any case fan with a high RPM, but a static pressure fan will be better at shoving air through those dense radiator fins). I run it at half to 3/4 fan speed and temps went up to 48-50c. I am thinking of doing a push/pull but I would rather avoid such a setup as it doesn't look very good.