GTX 1060, GTX 980 or RX 480?

somerandomguy12

OK fair enough, with the 4G vs 8g RX480, In some game titles there is no difference in performance and the bigger cooler will be beneficial particularly if you overclock the card but in others, the extra memory certainly gives you better frame rates at stock Ram speeds so that may offset the cooling and overclocking benefits that the better cooler has. 

If you go 8Gb, I would suggest that you just keep in mind the temps and case ventilation, particularly if you are in the southern hemisphere and coming into summer now. I wouldn't go out and spend on extra fans on day one but experiment first and find out if your installation actually has any high temperatures that causes the card to throttle significantly first. You may find extra case fans end up being beneficial by feeding the card more cool air. 

8 hours ago, somerandomguy12 said:

We have a nice debate going on. :)

Anyway, thanks agian but I have a new question

Should I pay £10 ($14) more for this XFX RX 480 or go for the reference one which is £10 cheaper?

http://www.xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-400-series/rx-480-rs-8gb-dd-rx-480p8lfb6

The XFX 480 is basically the best one out there alongside the MSI and Sapphire versions. Definitely worth going for the XFX to avoid the noise and to keep thermals in check so you hit that boost clock all the time.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

480s are amazing now equalling 1060s in every titles and winning in most. Plus mine overclocks like a champ and beats 980 classifieds on LN2

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

On 9 December 2016 at 4:39 AM, Clanscorpia said:

480s are amazing now equalling 1060s in every titles and winning in most. Plus mine overclocks like a champ and beats 980 classifieds on LN2

On 9 December 2016 at 4:22 AM, Carclis said:

The XFX 480 is basically the best one out there alongside the MSI and Sapphire versions. Definitely worth going for the XFX to avoid the noise and to keep thermals in check so you hit that boost clock all the time.

On 9 December 2016 at 4:12 AM, GTBTK said:

OK fair enough, with the 4G vs 8g RX480, In some game titles there is no difference in performance and the bigger cooler will be beneficial particularly if you overclock the card but in others, the extra memory certainly gives you better frame rates at stock Ram speeds so that may offset the cooling and overclocking benefits that the better cooler has. 

If you go 8Gb, I would suggest that you just keep in mind the temps and case ventilation, particularly if you are in the southern hemisphere and coming into summer now. I wouldn't go out and spend on extra fans on day one but experiment first and find out if your installation actually has any high temperatures that causes the card to throttle significantly first. You may find extra case fans end up being beneficial by feeding the card more cool air. 

On 3 December 2016 at 1:31 PM, KOMTechAndGaming said:

and if you compare the sheer amount of freesync monitors available versus g sync

On 3 December 2016 at 3:15 PM, JabroniBaloney said:

The price difference on ultrawides puts AMD ahead on upper tier cards without them existing yet, imo.

On 3 December 2016 at 3:17 PM, KOMTechAndGaming said:

well g-sync is more resticting afaik it changes the colours/calibration or something, 

On 4 December 2016 at 4:39 PM, just tilt said:

oh lol my bad
1060 if you ask me

On 7 December 2016 at 10:01 AM, WhiteSkyMage said:

The RX 480 is now winning over with performance. As enthusiasts voted it's a smarter buy, it definately is, and it's also the case with drivers...

Your choices are:

Get RX 480 (at the about the same price as a GTX1060) and get FreeSync for free - gives you chance to opt for a better monitor or save $200.

Get a GTX 1060 and PAY $200 more on top for G-Sync.

Even though I have a GTX 980 from back 2014, I did not buy into this big scam of G-Sync. nVidia won't get away with this, and with Vega 10 coming on front, a GTX 1080 would have to run for its money.

On 7 December 2016 at 10:57 AM, xAcid9 said:

980 support DX12, in fact it support DX12 with feature level 12_1 compare to RX 480 with feature level 12_0. 

On 7 December 2016 at 11:38 AM, GTBTK said:

don

The maxwell cards are excellent cards. The only thing against them now in December 2016 is that they are 2014 technology that has been made obsolete by pascal. DX12 didn't exist when they were introduced to the market so what is going to become more important from this point of time forward was not included in the design of the card that will require more and more compromises over time. It happens. It it the very nature of technology. Time moves on and new tech emerges. If you have a 980, and are prepared to compromise game settings down from ultra and can run at dx11, there is probably no driving force to upgrade to a 1060. 

That being said, I cannot see the value in investing now in an obsolete technology that is already starting to ask for compromises when for teh same price, you can get something that doesn't ask for compromises at all.

On 7 December 2016 at 0:53 PM, WhiteSkyMage said:

The GTX 980 was a great card. The Maxwell generation was great for what it offered, but it is getting old now, I mean, since I already have it, I might as well keep it until Vega 10 releases (it will be ok for that short term), then I would buy a good Ultrawide monitor with FreeSync, upgrade to AMD Vega cards, and then I may keep it for longer. I however DO NOT suggest buying a GTX 980 - it's too late to go on the Maxwell GM204 and even GM200 (GTX 980Ti) now, back then it was a blast with this card.

I bought it cuz of greediness to have more Vram for the Skyrim mods and other games, and on top, I did not want AMD (even if they had 8GB Vram), cuz I thought of them being crap, only for consoles and stuff, well, until I did not start digging up what they got, and found out it's the opposite way.

AMD gave people more value for better performance and technology, yet, they bought nVidia, cuz of that mindshare, NVIDIA really is a cool name especially for a GPU company, you will always remember it, it's like a name that, in a way, signifies "quality products". And this is really how they make so much money.

On 7 December 2016 at 2:44 PM, xAcid9 said:

LOL, Radeon HD 7970 released on 2011 but it already support Async Compute. How do you explain that?

I know, i just pointing the misinformation about 980 doesn't support DX12.

On 7 December 2016 at 4:12 PM, ivan134 said:

They all perform the same. I would get a 480 because of AMD's track record of longevity. If you do decide to upgrade, FreeSync monitors are cheaper too.

Thanks for the info guys. 

I can now get the XFX AMD Radeon RX 480 RS Edition or the Sapphire AMD Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 for £10 more. Both 8GB, which one should I get? 

I have more dedocated WAM than you on my Minecraft server!

Specs:

RX 480 Sapphire Nitro+

i5 4460 w/ Raijintek Aidos cooler

XFX TS 650W PSU

Cheap OEM Acer motherboard w/ Cheap dollar tree Micro-ATX case

12GB DDR3 Decocated WAM

1TB Seagate Barracuda HHD

BTW I live in the UK so if I don't know where you live I will quote all prices in £

46 minutes ago, somerandomguy12 said:

Thanks for the info guys. 

I can now get the XFX AMD Radeon RX 480 RS Edition or the Sapphire AMD Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 for £10 more. Both 8GB, which one should I get? 

I would get the XFX for cheaper. Neither card is really better than the other, so either way you won't be disappointed.

CPU - Ryzen Threadripper 2950X | Motherboard - X399 GAMING PRO CARBON AC | RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4x8GB DDR4-3200 14-13-13-21 | GPU - Aorus GTX 1080 Ti Waterforce WB Xtreme Edition | Case - Inwin 909 (Silver) | Storage - Samsung 950 Pro 500GB, Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Samsung 840 Evo 500GB, HGST DeskStar 6TB, WD Black 2TB | PSU - Corsair AX1600i | Display - DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W |

The cards are virtually in the same ballpark of performance so if it wasn't for the drivers you probably wouldn't even know which one you had running in your system.