Xeon e5 2666 V3 most mysterious cpu ever

So my friend came over to my house with a new cpu and he shows it to me and I noticed it was a Xeon cpu he said it was a 10 core 20 thread cpu and that it could turbo to 3.4 or something so I plug it into my test bench with a msi gaming carbon x99 motherboard and it instantly shows that it's a 10 core 20 thread but it is already running 3.5ghz and I haven't touched a thing. This is like a stock 6950x like wtf. I might put this in my main rig now Haha.

More like MOST EVIL CPU EVER HA HA HA HA HA

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i wonder what the performance difference is with HT turned off with 10 cores

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

19 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i wonder what the performance difference is with HT turned off with 10 cores

Its the same 10-30% on all intel cpu's with hyperthreading

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats turbo boost. What is the freq under load. It should be at arount 2.6 ish.

Dude I didn't have to do anything to make it hit the frequency and I tested it under load and every program showed it was at 3.5ghz the whole time.

3 hours ago, Marcus Torre DeProspero said:

Dude I didn't have to do anything to make it hit the frequency and I tested it under load and every program showed it was at 3.5ghz the whole time.

That seems correct.

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon E5-2666 v3.html

They make some really high frequency xeons especially custom xeons that aren't sold publicly and aren't on intel ark.

There is a stock 5.1GHz quad core xeon the e5 2602v4 it is a custom chip so it isn't listed on intel ark.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

• 11 months later...

Was that an engineneering e5-2666 v3? i believe i got one its a QFCS 2.9ghz es xoen all the research has its a e5 2666v3 with ht turned off but it doesnt post in my msi x99a gaming pro carbon.

• 2 weeks later...

I have this CPU and it is 10/20 setup with HT enabled. Default clock speed on all cores is 2.9Ghz, you can force all cores to run at 3.2Ghz and it will turbo them to 3.5GHz. I paid only $200 for this CPU on ebay and it was the best deal ever, no Ryzen deal can beat it. Great CPU and great for gaming. At 3.5Ghz on 2 Cores and others running between 3.2 and 3.5Ghz i see no gaming problems. I have SLI 1080 with it, gaming in 2K. I have CPU on ASRock x99 Entreme 4. When you install CPU you don't get lot of options to play with. It will simply lock cpu at 3.2Ghz on all Cores and then Turbo will do the rest.

• 3 years later...

Hi guys I am thinking about buying one but I couldn't find almost any info. I was wondering, if any of you managed to overclock it?