Hitachi Desktar 48c Temps, is this safe?

babadoctor

What is the safe temperature operating range for the Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000?

I currently own one of these, and with it running normally it is at 48c. I am not sure if this is okay.

It doesn't get much airflow, if any.

the pci port for some reason is stuck at ~73c, no idea why 

I just wonder if this is safe for the hard drive.

Smart doesn't currently show any issues.

Is it safe to run this hard drive 24/7 at less than 50c?

Thanks

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

Just now, babadoctor said:

What is the safe temperature operating range for the Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000?

I currently own one of these, and with it running normally it is at 48c. I am not sure if this is okay.

It doesn't get much airflow, if any.

the pci port for some reason is stuck at ~73c, no idea why 

I just wonder if this is safe for the hard drive.

Smart doesn't currently show any issues.

Is it safe to run this hard drive 24/7 at less than 50c?

Thanks

That should be OK, i put two fans right next to my hard drives so mine sit around 15-20C but 48C is acceptable

1 minute ago, DisconnectedYT said:

That should be OK, i put two fans right next to my hard drives so mine sit around 15-20C but 48C is acceptable

Hm. So.. i have a spare heatsink... should i put it on the hard drive? will that make a difference?

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

12 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

also according to this your hard drives are too cold http://www.buildcomputers.net/hdd-temperature.html

Just now, DisconnectedYT said:

It is different for all drives, mine are WD Black 1TB, they are good at that temp

So is there anywhere where I can find the correct temps for hitachi drives? 

DO you know anything about running a HDD 24/7? IS IT OKAY TO RUN IT 24/7??????

Just now, babadoctor said:

So is there anywhere where I can find the correct temps for hitachi drives? 

DO you know anything about running a HDD 24/7? IS IT OKAY TO RUN IT 24/7??????

1) In the manual it will say otherwise look up safe temp for it on google.

2) I run my drive 24/7 and its been doing that for a year now, i host a server so yeah, its been on for almost 8000 Hours and disk health is at 92%, HOWEVER hitachi drives could be crap, my HDD is mead for that so i dont know but it should be ok for a while (like 1 Years ish)

Here's the annual failure rates of hard drives (all brands and models they use) at different temperatures, as measured by Google in their data centers.

Google annual failure rate.jpg

Ideally you'd want to drop the temps down to somewhere in the 30's. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Here's the annual failure rates of hard drives (all brands and models they use) at different temperatures, as measured by Google in their data centers.

Google annual failure rate.jpg

Ideally you'd want to drop the temps down to somewhere in the 30's. 

I see. Thank you. Do you have any experience to say about running a HDD 24/7?

8 minutes ago, DisconnectedYT said:

1) In the manual it will say otherwise look up safe temp for it on google.

2) I run my drive 24/7 and its been doing that for a year now, i host a server so yeah, its been on for almost 8000 Hours and disk health is at 92%, HOWEVER hitachi drives could be crap, my HDD is mead for that so i dont know but it should be ok for a while (like 1 Years ish)

Alright. Thank you for the insight. I think I will buy a WD if this one fails.

You are using a WD black? Is there any WD that is suppose to run 24/7?

27 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

Hm. So.. i have a spare heatsink... should i put it on the hard drive? will that make a difference?

don't block any holes on the drive

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

Just now, SCHISCHKA said:

don't block any holes on the drive

I will not. Thank you.

3 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

You are using a WD black? Is there any WD that is suppose to run 24/7?

the WD red drives are designed for 24/7 operation

Edited by SCHISCHKA

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

3 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

I will not. Thank you.

also i don't know of a heatsink will help. the only drive with a heatsink is the WD 10,000RPM scorpio drives. All drive coolers iv seen have fans. If you think about the entire drive is made of metal anyway

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

50C voids the warranty on those drives and sets a permanent SMART notation for an over temperature event.  48C is hotter than I'd run a Hitachi 7K2000/7K3000/7K4000 at. 

4 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

50C voids the warranty on those drives and sets a permanent SMART notation for an over temperature event.  48C is hotter than I'd run a Hitachi 7K2000/7K3000/7K4000 at. 

Really?

Well, I just bought a fan for it, so I don't think it will become an issue... Hopefully...

6 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

Where are your sources?

2 minutes ago, babadoctor said:

Where are your sources?

I've seen it in the SMART logs.  It will set a permanent notation in the drive if its over 50degC.  They could reject your RMA if they do an investigation (incredibly unlikely, but its possible).

Get yourself a mobile rack, or an Icy Dock, or similar hot-swap enclosure add-in with fans.  That's what I do for my drives (a fleet of 7K2000/7K3000s).  Keeps 'em at a nice 30degC.

Just now, Mark77 said:

I've seen it in the SMART logs.  It will set a permanent notation in the drive if its over 50degC.  They could reject your RMA if they do an investigation (incredibly unlikely, but its possible).

I won't be able to do a RMA in 1 year, if it fails in 1 year. It has already been a month... 

Just wondering, what kind of case do you use, and why you don't want to install a fan?

Also, i agree with @Mark77: i'd never run 24/7 an hard disk at that temp. Mine are between 28 and 33 (i get worried when something in my workstation goes over 40°C)

I never had issues with seagate, nor with hitachi, nor with Samsung, nor with WD, not even with maxtor (way before 2006, i think i should still have it somewhere); even when running those 24/7

I remember i saw a review over 36 months, and hitachi's HDD were rocking with the lowest failure rate - not linking because i never really trust those "stats", so i will not waste time searching for it again

all my hard drives are 25c and under, they have been like that for 3 years now. OP you need to put some airflow over your HDDs and then look at the temps, no need for a heat sink or anything like that.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

all my hard drives are 25c and under, they have been like that for 3 years now. OP you need to put some airflow over your HDDs and then look at the temps, no need for a heat sink or anything like that.

I envy your temps, man. My room is at (almost) 25°C, no AC, no heat on. They're at 25 when the pc is OFF xD

Just now, Shingouki said:

I envy your temps, man. My room is at (almost) 25°C, no AC, no heat on. They're at 25 when the pc is OFF xD

well my room is about 18-19c, also no AC and no heat on (yet), even when my room is 26-28c, my SSDs and HDDs are 25c max 26c, they are often below room temps when my room is above 25c, no idea how. I have push pull over my harddrives to get the most airflow in my case (C70)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

22 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

well my room is about 18-19c, also no AC and no heat on (yet), even when my room is 26-28c, my SSDs and HDDs are 25c max 26c, they are often below room temps when my room is above 25c, no idea how. I have push pull over my harddrives to get the most airflow in my case (C70)

Probably the physics is failing in your room, or the temperatures are wrong.

Unless you have a heat pump on that computer, you cannot reach lower temperature than room temperature. And i'm excluding water evaporation because water

2 minutes ago, Shingouki said:

Probably the physics is failing in your room, or the temperatures are wrong.

Unless you have a heat pump on that computer, you cannot reach lower temperature than room temperature. And i'm excluding water evaporation because water

they are 1-2c above room temps right now and I have never seen them above 26c. maybe there is a hardware fail some place, but all the PCs I have build in the same case gets really low hard drive temps