Stepping into the audiophile world

Beliroz

I'm about to dip my toe in the wild west that is the audiophile world. I currently have a pair of Cloud 2s and I'm looking to upgrade. I've never had a pair of open headphones before, and the concept of soundstage interests me, but I've also read that it sacrifices bass. I will be using the headphones for gaming and music; I listen to metal and "heavy" electronic music. Comfort is important since I play my video games for long stretches. I'm currently looking at the V-moda crossfade m-100 (If I can get it at a discount), the Beyerdynamics Custom One Plus and DT990 (No idea which version though). Feel free to opt in with other suggestions.

Will I need one of these "amps" or "dacs" to drive the headphones on my HERO VIII? Virtual surround would be nice.

Also, what are cans?

8 minutes ago, Beliroz said:

I'm about to dip my toe in the wild west that is the audiophile world. I currently have a pair of Cloud 2s and I'm looking to upgrade. I've never had a pair of open headphones before, and the concept of soundstage interests me, but I've also read that it sacrifices bass. I will be using the headphones for gaming and music; I listen to metal and "heavy" electronic music. Comfort is important since I play my video games for long stretches. I'm currently looking at the V-moda crossfade m-100 (If I can get it at a discount), the Beyerdynamics Custom One Plus and DT990 (No idea which version though). Feel free to opt in with other suggestions.

Will I need one of these "amps" or "dacs" to drive the headphones on my HERO VIII? Virtual surround would be nice.

Also, what are cans?

Cans are just another word for headphones.

I listen to metal and "heavy" electronic music as well. These aren't audiophile level but they sound excellent to me. https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB

Only 100 bucks, great bass for the EDM but there's not too much to a point where it drowns out the guitars or vocals in metal music. I also have a maximus Hero VIII mobo and I have not been using an amp or dac.

FX8U291H5TVB5XW.LARGE.jpg

ma' new cans yo :P

and honestly, the only value of importance in the audiophile world is that it sounds good to you.

my coworker has a tube amplifier (with USSR tubes in it, because reasons :P) because he loves the warm sound it produces. i went the same road but just a step more insanity: i have a solid-state (which means transistors instead of tubes, like a modern device) amplifier, which was made just after tubes started to get out of fashion, and it was still tuned to have that "tube" vibe to it with less heatup time, less heat kicked into the room, and offcourse also lower power draw because of it.

41 minutes ago, dobo2001 said:

Cans are just another word for headphones.

Thats a common mistake. Cans does not equal headphones.

33 minutes ago, manikyath said:

FX8U291H5TVB5XW.LARGE.jpg

ma' new cans yo :P

This is ironically the correct meaning of cans. As in tin can and string.
Cans is like a headset. Its not a pair of cans if it doesnt have a way to communicate with someone else

Your mobo is good, no need for extra dac/amp. Just make sure to plug your headphone jack to the rear IOs.

43 minutes ago, Deli said:

Your mobo is good, no need for extra dac/amp. Just make sure to plug your headphone jack to the rear IOs.

Well, that's a relief. Will it be able to produce 7.1 with software like the Razer one? If not, can I just use the "soundcard" from my Cloud 2?

10 hours ago, Beliroz said:

Well, that's a relief. Will it be able to produce 7.1 with software like the Razer one? If not, can I just use the "soundcard" from my Cloud 2?

don't use the noisecard that comes with the cloud 2, yes you can use that razer surround software, not that I would advice using it.

First thing we need to find out where do you want more focus in your sound and then just to be clear open headphones leak sound in and out. I know a lot of people who are into EDM and they like the DT990, because of the V shaped sound signature, meaning they have a boosted bass and treble, but the treble can also be too much for some people.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 hour ago, Dackzy said:

don't use the noisecard that comes with the cloud 2, yes you can use that razer surround software, not that I would advice using it.

First thing we need to find out where do you want more focus in your sound and then just to be clear open headphones leak sound in and out. I know a lot of people who are into EDM and they like the DT990, because of the V shaped sound signature, meaning they have a boosted bass and treble, but the treble can also be too much for some people.

I watched a few videos yesterday about open headphones, and a lot of people said they get more spacial awareness with open w/o surround than with closed w/ surround. I know they leak a bit in and out, but I live in a quite place by myself, and my PC is whisper quiet, even under load. I read about the V-shape and thought it would suit me since I'm a "basshead". If the treble seems too much, is it possible to use an EQ to turn it down a bit? 

48 minutes ago, Beliroz said:

I watched a few videos yesterday about open headphones, and a lot of people said they get more spacial awareness with open w/o surround than with closed w/ surround. I know they leak a bit in and out, but I live in a quite place by myself, and my PC is whisper quiet, even under load. I read about the V-shape and thought it would suit me since I'm a "basshead". If the treble seems too much, is it possible to use an EQ to turn it down a bit? 

Fidelio X2 would probably be more suited to your needs if you're worried about treble but want bass & open headphones.  Open is definitely my preference, I vastly prefer it, especially if you talk on voice chat with headphones on. It lets you hear yourself much easier so you don't end up shouting etc.

If you can find a used pair in good condition, it'll be about the same price as DT990.

As someone who's tried lots of headphones in lots of games, I really am not a fan of virtual surround, I find stereo or the built in "headphone" option in games is the best option for me.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Currently talking to a guy who's selling his 990's for 120$. Now I gotta decide whether to get a modmic or a Snowball ice. They're both the same price, but the ice seem to have better quality. I'm not doing any sort of voice/sound work, so having a desktop mic might be too much hassle just for Skype.