Which fan setup in Define R5?

racer243l

Hey guys,

today I finally decided on how my fall pc upgrades will be, only one question remaining.

So I thought of four options:

1. two 140mm intake fans, one 140mm exhaust fan

2. two 140mm intake fans, two 140mm exhaust fans (one in the back of the top)

3. two 140mm intake fans, one 140mm bottom intake, one 140mm exhaust fans

4. two 140mm intake fans, one 140mm bottom intake, two 140mm exhaust fans (one in the back of the top)

The upper 3,5" drive bay will be removed.

It should be able to nicely cool a Asus Strix GTX 1080 and a 6700k coold by a Cryorig R1 Ultimate.

Thanks for the help :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

you wont notice much of a difference even if you went with the default setup

1 minute ago, spartaman64 said:

Oh well, adding a fan never hurts so, why not ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

Honestly from the video that Luke did on this I think you are best off just having a single intake and a single out in the back. Any more than that is a waste of money.

Just now, AjKawalski said:

Honestly from the video that Luke did on this I think you are best off just having a single intake and a single out in the back. Any more than that is a waste of money.

I rewatched the video as well. Seems right. I will replace the stock ones with PWM ones anyway

3 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

It depends on the fan speeds used. At minimal fan speeds, having extra fans can help make up for airflow.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, racer243l said:

Hey guys,

today I finally decided on how my fall pc upgrades will be, only one question remaining.

So I thought of four options:

1. two 140mm intake fans, one 140mm exhaust fan

2. two 140mm intake fans, two 140mm exhaust fans (one in the back of the top)

3. two 140mm intake fans, one 140mm bottom intake, one 140mm exhaust fans

4. two 140mm intake fans, one 140mm bottom intake, two 140mm exhaust fans (one in the back of the top)

The upper 3,5" drive bay will be removed.

It should be able to nicely cool a Asus Strix GTX 1080 and a 6700k coold by a Cryorig R1 Ultimate.

Thanks for the help :)

I put the two stock fans in the front since you cant see them as intake and bought two 140mm riing fan for the rear exhaust and heatsink. So you only have to buy two fans and have nice looking case LEDs.

17 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It depends on the fan speeds used. At minimal fan speeds, having extra fans can help make up for airflow.

I want to have a quiet system, so low RPM fans are what I´m looking at. So two would help?

16 hours ago, DunePilot said:

I put the two stock fans in the front since you cant see them as intake and bought two 140mm riing fan for the rear exhaust and heatsink. So you only have to buy two fans and have nice looking case LEDs.

Ah, thanks for the tip :)

I'm running a 240mm intake rad in the front, 140mm fan exhaust in the back, and two 140mm intake fans on the bottom. The two fans on the bottom are VERY snug. I have an adapter in my 5.25" drive bay that holds my HDD and have all of my HDD cages removed. Ambient room temperature sits around 20-21C. Idle temps on my OC'd CPU are around 40C, and artificial load temps are around 74C. During gaming, rendering footage, encoding, etc the CPU sits around the low-mid 60s with an occasional hit into the high 60s.

I've changed my fan configuration multiple times and it really doesn't make much difference at all. Basically everything is within margin of error. My Asus X99-A motherboard bios will let me completely turn fans off if temps are low. I have set them to be off until the CPU hits 45C and they don't even kick on when browsing, watching Youtube, etc. The only ones that stay on are the ones on the rad and the one on the back exhaust, and they're set very low. Even without my headphones on, the only noise from the system(at idle/consuming media) is from the pump, and it's pretty tolerable because of the noise cancelling foam inside the case.

Hope you can find some use from the shared experience. All in all, just the intake fans on the rad and exhaust on the back are plenty for my overclocked hardware. I have the fan slots populated because I have the fans to put there, they don't really provide any extra benefit.

35 minutes ago, smittywits said:

I'm running a 240mm intake rad in the front, 140mm fan exhaust in the back, and two 140mm intake fans on the bottom. The two fans on the bottom are VERY snug. I have an adapter in my 5.25" drive bay that holds my HDD and have all of my HDD cages removed. Ambient room temperature sits around 20-21C. Idle temps on my OC'd CPU are around 40C, and artificial load temps are around 74C. During gaming, rendering footage, encoding, etc the CPU sits around the low-mid 60s with an occasional hit into the high 60s.

I've changed my fan configuration multiple times and it really doesn't make much difference at all. Basically everything is within margin of error. My Asus X99-A motherboard bios will let me completely turn fans off if temps are low. I have set them to be off until the CPU hits 45C and they don't even kick on when browsing, watching Youtube, etc. The only ones that stay on are the ones on the rad and the one on the back exhaust, and they're set very low. Even without my headphones on, the only noise from the system(at idle/consuming media) is from the pump, and it's pretty tolerable because of the noise cancelling foam inside the case.

Hope you can find some use from the shared experience. All in all, just the intake fans on the rad and exhaust on the back are plenty for my overclocked hardware. I have the fan slots populated because I have the fans to put there, they don't really provide any extra benefit.

Thank you, that helps me a lot. Having someone with the same case telling about his fan setup is always nice to have. I thought about a 280mm intake rad with an adapter for the HDD as well. Does it impact GPU temps?

5 hours ago, racer243l said:

I want to have a quiet system, so low RPM fans are what I´m looking at. So two would help?

Yes, extra fans can help. 

4 hours ago, smittywits said:

I've changed my fan configuration multiple times and it really doesn't make much difference at all. Basically everything is within margin of error. My Asus X99-A motherboard bios will let me completely turn fans off if temps are low. I have set them to be off until the CPU hits 45C and they don't even kick on when browsing, watching Youtube, etc. The only ones that stay on are the ones on the rad and the one on the back exhaust, and they're set very low.

What are your fans speeds during load? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

19 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The curve for the two intake 140s at the bottom is set to turn on at 45C at 30%, reach 80% at 75C, and max out at 80C. The rad intake fans and rear exhaust fan are always at 30% below 45C and slowly increase as temps rise, hitting the same 80% at 75C and 100% at 80C. 

Thank you, that helps me a lot. Having someone with the same case telling about his fan setup is always nice to have. I thought about a 280mm intake rad with an adapter for the HDD as well. Does it impact GPU temps?

I'm running a Zotac AMP! Extreme 980Ti. It's never had problems with temps or noise. The two 140mm intakes at the bottom probably lower the temps a bit but I rarely see the GPU break over 45C on a really conservative fan curve. 

Edited by smittywits
oops double post~

22 hours ago, racer243l said:

I'm running a Zotac AMP! Extreme 980Ti. It's never had problems with temps or noise. The two 140mm intakes at the bottom probably lower the temps a bit but I rarely see the GPU break over 45C on a really conservative fan curve. 

19 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Ok, I will grab two 140mm Noiseblocker PWM 400-1500rpm as intake and one as exhaust.

17 minutes ago, smittywits said:

Alright, thanks a lot ;)