How to use the microphone on headphones as a desktop mic

Altaren
Go to solution Solved by soup,

No guarantees but the following should work :-

Try

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-Separate-Headphone-Microphone-Headphones/dp/B00Y4663GG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1474932512&sr=8-9&keywords=mic+and+headphone+splitter

Headphone/mic phone cable plugs into the single combo socket then the two seperate plugs go into the two (one microphone one speakers) sockets on the  computer case.

Mind you by the time you have bought this splitter and had it shipped to Slovenia you would probably be as well off getting a new dedicated (virtually guaranteed to work) mic.

Best of luck

I remember once recording my voice (for a web forum I was subscribed to at the time) by shouting into the headphones which I had plugged into the mic socket (the sound quality was erm 'interesting', but it did work).

So my desktop mic broke and i want to use the headphones that i use for calls on my phone. I know that mic is good but when i try to plug it in as a mic it only detects the sounds that come in thru the speakers. 

I dont want the speakers to act as a microphone but the actual microphone thats on the headphones thats used for calls. I dont know how phones solve this but there has to be an option to use the mic on there.

Anyone got ideas?

Thanks

EDIT: Ill probably need a splitter, wont i?

Not at all a 'audiophile' but things to think about might be

Does the lead from your headset have one or two plugs?

Does the system have seperate sockets for microphone or a single combined socket?

Perhaps some combination of splitters/combiners will work.

The plug on a phone is divided into three sections( and ground)  Lspeaker R speaker and Mic

Normal audio plugs have only two distinct regions L speaker and R speaker.

pjimage.jpg

Aside for 'audiophiles'.

If you plug (say) the mic plug into a combined socket will the system be able to see that as a mic only signal or will it just be garbled crap

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

9 minutes ago, soup said:

Not at all a 'audiophile' but things to think about might be

Does the lead from your headset have one or two plugs?

Does the system have seperate sockets for microphone or a single combined socket?

Perhaps some combination of splitters/combiners will work.

The plug on a phone is divided into three sections( and ground)  Lspeaker R speaker and Mic

Normal audio plugs have only two distinct regions L speaker and R speaker.

Aside for 'audiophiles'.

If you plug (say) the mic plug into a combined socket will the system be able to see that as a mic only signal or will it just be garbled crap

Thanks for your response. The headphones with the mic, they only have one plug. In my pc i have seperate sockets at the mobo and two combined sockets (i think) on the front of the case. Either way whenever i want to use my headphones as a mic i only get the headphone speakers working as a mic. Surprisingly good considering theyre designed to play sound not record it. Still i want to use the actual mic since its a lot better and i have found no combination of sockets or audio device retasking that would make that happen.

Try

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Splitter-Separate-Headphone-Microphone-Headphones/dp/B00Y4663GG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1474932512&sr=8-9&keywords=mic+and+headphone+splitter

Headphone/mic phone cable plugs into the single combo socket then the two seperate plugs go into the two (one microphone one speakers) sockets on the  computer case.

Mind you by the time you have bought this splitter and had it shipped to Slovenia you would probably be as well off getting a new dedicated (virtually guaranteed to work) mic.

Best of luck

I remember once recording my voice (for a web forum I was subscribed to at the time) by shouting into the headphones which I had plugged into the mic socket (the sound quality was erm 'interesting', but it did work).

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

21 minutes ago, soup said:

Try

Best of luck

Yea i figured that would be the only solution. Too bad really since its a perfectly good mic that could be used on a pc. Its pretty crazy that you can get audio to record on speakers at all, of course the quality is awful but still really cool.

Thanks for the help