"Fake" 4-pin PWM fan header on motherboards

maybethisnamewillwork

On my motherboard CPU_FAN is the only one that has true pwm control, I can run my Noctua NF-A15 fan with the advertised min. speed ~350rpm at 20%.
But CHA_FAN and PWR_FAN headers are "fake" 1Amp DC headers. and the NF-A15 runs min. ~650rpm at 35%. I can still control the fans precisely by each %, but the min. rpm is higher and it doesn't supply continuous +12V like real pwm would.

Real PWM header pin layout:
1st = GROUND
2nd = +12V
3rd = RPM SIGNAL
4th = PWM CONTROL

So what's the purpose of the 4th pin when it doesn't have pwm function?

dont know , my boards had these headers but also in bios the option to set that header to DC or PWM , it might be a PWM header , but set to DC in bios , making the fan just spin away at 100% 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

It's so that people don't mistakenly plug a 4 pin fan into the wrong 3 pins, or complain they can't use a 4 pin fan because it only has 3 pins.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Because they can and it looks better to have 4pin headers.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv