Review of Cryorig R1 Ultimate (and Cryorig as a Company)

NarimaanV

Hi,

So I've currently got the Cryorig R1 Ultimate in my sights as a high-end air cooler for an overclocked 6700k rig I'm planning (nothing insane, even 4.5GHz at a cool temperature is good). From numerous reviews and videos it sounds like it's up there with Noctua's NH-D15 in terms of cooling performance and silence, and that's regarded as one of the very best air coolers out there. So I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the cooler personally and also with Cryorig's customer service because that's also a point of concern for me. The fact that I can only find this cooler on Amazon isn't super encouraging for their company's ability to provide good customer service (as in they might still be too small to do so) like more established companies like Noctua and Phanteks. So if anyone's got any tales about their customer service that be a sweet little bonus :). Thanks in advance!

I had to RMA a C7 once becuase the fan died and I got mine in out and back in a week

I have the R1 ultimate myself and it works amazing, on my old deepcool gamer storm lucifer my 3770k used to reach 90°C on 4.8GHz and now it only reaches only 75 and it can even do 4.9GHz with ease now (although the voltages are too high when I set it to 4.9GHz). FYI, the CPU is delidded and consumes roughly 175Watts (TDP is ~75Watts).

The heatsink is very big though, low profile RAM shouldn't be a problem but it might limit the use of your first expantion slot (it blocks the usage of my first PCI-e 1x slot with the fan clips).

The fans are also pretty damn quiet but I modded them a bit to make them run at 400RPM instead of 700RPM (which is their lowest speed) and when I put my ear right next to the fans I can only hear the air flowing past my ears, not the fans themselves.

I don't have any experience with the customer service though.

Someone once said: "Having a rollercoaster on a PC would be epic"

So threw a rollercoaster on my K'nex PC: Project Dragon Khan- K'nex rollercoaster PC build

10 minutes ago, IskanderEXC said:

I had to RMA a C7 once becuase the fan died and I got mine in out and back in a week

That's actually quite encouraging to hear thanks for sharing that :D

3 minutes ago, tomaatvk said:

I have the R1 ultimate myself and it works amazing, on my old deepcool gamer storm lucifer my 3770k used to reach 90°C on 4.8GHz and now it only reaches only 75 and it can even do 4.9GHz with ease now (although the voltages are too high when I set it to 4.9GHz). FYI, the CPU is delidded and consumes roughly 175Watts (TDP is ~75Watts).

The heatsink is very big though, low profile RAM shouldn't be a problem but it might limit the use of your first expantion slot (it blocks the usage of my first PCI-e 1x slot with the fan clips).

The fans are also pretty damn quiet but I modded them a bit to make them run at 400RPM instead of 700RPM (which is their lowest speed) and when I put my ear right next to the fans I can only hear the air flowing past my ears, not the fans themselves.

I don't have any experience with the customer service though.

Yeah because I was looking at the NH-D15 at first, I found some Corsair LPX memory compatible with the motherboard, so ram shouldn't be a problem. And yeah I have no problem with losing the first 1x slot, as long as it doesn't touch the second 16x slot which my graphics card would use which it seems like it shouldn't. I'm glad to hear you've had such good experiences with it, pretty much follows what everyone else's been saying. Thanks for the review :)

2 minutes ago, NarimaanV said:

That's actually quite encouraging to hear thanks for sharing that :D

No problem

I had to RMA an H7 once because it had a warped heat spreader. They were as confused as I was (and the guys at Micro Center, who spent an hour with me trying to figure out what the hell was going on before we all realized it at once), but they took it back and sent me a new one without question.

I've got an H7, a C7, an H5 Ultimate and a few fans purchased after the fact. I consider them to be one of the best out there.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

It isn't as quiet as the NH-D15 and is taller. Other than that, the two are pretty similar. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On August 25, 2016 at 8:06 PM, aisle9 said:

I had to RMA an H7 once because it had a warped heat spreader. They were as confused as I was (and the guys at Micro Center, who spent an hour with me trying to figure out what the hell was going on before we all realized it at once), but they took it back and sent me a new one without question.

I've got an H7, a C7, an H5 Ultimate and a few fans purchased after the fact. I consider them to be one of the best out there.

Well that's not too bad, not great start but the fact that they didn't put up any fuss to replace it is good customer service in my book :)

15 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

It isn't as quiet as the NH-D15 and is taller. Other than that, the two are pretty similar. 

Yeah it's a close 2nd, which for the MUCH better looks I'm willing to sacrifice.

12 hours ago, nobelharvards said:

Noctua ship you new future socket mounting parts for free.

Does Cryorig do that?

I don't know. Probably not. Still willing to give it up since I probably won't change the computer for a very long time, and it looks so so so much better.