Surface Pro 3 external heat sink w/ 4790K Intel heatsink?

Does anyone know if it would be possible to have a ghetto set up using an extra Intel heatsink attached to my Surface Pro 3? I have observed increased performance pointing a fan at the right upper corner (cpu area). I was just wondering how reasonable this would be to do. I have the extra heatsink sitting around so I thought "why not?". I'm not sure how mounting it would work nor how I would power it. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

A large fan would work much better than a heatsink considering the conductivity of aluminum and the fact that you'd be trying to pull heat away from the CPU through multiple layers of metal and air. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, RyGuy99 said:

Does anyone know if it would be possible to have a ghetto set up using an extra Intel heatsink attached to my Surface Pro 3? I have observed increased performance pointing a fan at the right upper corner (cpu area). I was just wondering how reasonable this would be to do. I have the extra heatsink sitting around so I thought "why not?". I'm not sure how mounting it would work nor how I would power it. 

If you take off the fan and thermal paste it'll still cool it.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

A large fan would work better than a heatsink considering the conductivity of aluminium and the fact that you'd be trying to pull heat away from the CPU through multiple layers of metal and air. 

The surface of it gets pretty hot under load so I thought taking that heat away with direct contact would work better. I could be wrong though. 

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

The surface of it gets pretty hot under load so I thought taking that heat away with direct contact would work better. I could be wrong though. 

It gets hot, but usually not instantly. I would assume you would never be able to get a good/effective enough heat transfer to outperform a large volume of cool fresh air being forced into the internal heatsink that's making direct contact with the die. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

A large fan would work much better than a heatsink considering the conductivity of aluminum and the fact that you'd be trying to pull heat away from the CPU through multiple layers of metal and air. 

A heat sink increases the surface area of the thing being cooled. I would think the heat sink alone would work better than pointing a fan at a flat surface (I'm assuming OP is wanting attach it to the chassis)

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

A heat sink increases the surface area of the thing being cooled. I would think the heat sink alone would work better than pointing a fan at a flat surface (I'm assuming OP is wanting attach it to the chassis)

Yes, except keep in mind that the CPU doesn't make direct contact with the housing. So he'd be cooling the chassis directly underneath the heatsink -- that won't pull heat off the CPU very effectively.

Vs. using a fan which is going to force large volumes of cold air into the internal cooling fans/heatsinks. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes, except keep in mind that the CPU doesn't make direct contact with the housing. So he'd be cooling the chassis directly underneath the heatsink -- that won't pull heat off the CPU very effectively.

Vs. using a fan which is going to force large volumes of cold air into the internal cooling fans/heatsinks. 

The Surface body was designed to dissapate heat away from the hottest areas of the computer. 

Just now, RyGuy99 said:

The Surface body was designed to dissapate heat away from the hottest areas of the computer. 

Go ahead and try it, but my guess is that the fan will work better. Put some thermal paste on the heatsink, and tape it down to the surface (I would tape it around the surface -- obviously it wouldn't be a long term solution, but it would work for benchmarking purposes) and power it off of a desktop fan header. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

The fan would have to be inside of the chassis for that to work. Or the airflow would have to be constrained to flow into the chassis holes. Simply blowing a fan on it won't do you any good because the internal fan is more than likely going to have a better influence on airflow internally.

Also looking at this: https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/4PLJL4POmNMAsuTf.huge

it looks like the heat sink assembly appears to be close to the chassis and OP can install thermal pads to make the chassis a giant heat sink if it doesn't do that already. A heat sink can be placed over that area to concentrate the heat on it.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Go ahead and try it, but my guess is that the fan will work better. Put some thermal paste on the heatsink, and tape it down to the surface (I would tape it around the surface -- obviously it wouldn't be a long term solution, but it would work for benchmarking purposes) and power it off of a desktop fan header. 

Yeah I'll run some benchmarks comparing the two solutions. Thanks! 

Use fan!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, RyGuy99 said:

Yeah I'll run some benchmarks comparing the two solutions. Thanks! 

Mention me once you've run some comparison tests.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Why not put some of those mini heatsink things designed for VRMs on it with a fan blowing?

Let me know how it works out, I have one. I'm obvioulsy not going to do it because I use mine when carrying it around but I'd still be interested to see how it goes.

I just found this post with someone using an old GeForce 8800 GTS cooler. 

https://m.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/2w8r1n/surface_pro_3_dock_cooling_concept_using_heatsink/

Also someone using a dark rock cooler. 

http://www.winbeta.org/news/guy-installed-ginormous-cpu-cooler-his-surface-pro-3

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone again! I haven't had time to test out the heatsink idea but here is another post I found on cooling the Surface Pro 3

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/51d1o2/surface_pro_4_external_cooling_rough_prototype/

P.S. Can I go without using thermal paste. I do carry around my Surface Pro 3 with me so it would be great if I could keep it free of that gunk. Would thermal pads work?? 

21 minutes ago, RyGuy99 said:

Hello everyone again! I haven't had time to test out the heatsink idea but here is another post I found on cooling the Surface Pro 3

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/51d1o2/surface_pro_4_external_cooling_rough_prototype/

P.S. Can I go without using thermal paste. I do carry around my Surface Pro 3 with me so it would be great if I could keep it free of that gunk. Would thermal pads work?? 

Thermal pads would work. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Thermal pads would work. 

Awesome thank you for the fast response. Any suggestions or recommendations on brands/types? 

Just now, RyGuy99 said:

Awesome thank you for the fast response. Any suggestions or recommendations on brands/types? 

Not really since there isn't that much of a difference. The important part is that it replaces air which is pretty bad at conducting heat. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

• 1 month later...

Hello I'm back everyone. I'm finally free enough to go ahead and do this. I had one last question before I order thermal pads. Is bigger better? Do I want the thermal pads to have more surface area on the Surface Pro or is smaller ok since the heatsink only comes in contact with a small part of the thermal pad?

Hello I'm back everyone. I'm finally free enough to go ahead and do this. I had one last question before I order thermal pads. Is bigger better? Do I want the thermal pads to have more surface area on the Surface Pro or is smaller ok since the heatsink only comes in contact with a small part of the thermal pad?

The pad will only make a difference where the cooler contacts the tablet.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The pad will only make a difference where the cooler contacts the tablet.

Ok I wasn't sure if the more surface area the thermal pads had the more they could pull from the tablet. I'm guessing the area where the heatsink is coming into contact reaches a heat transfer bottleneck of some kind though. So go for thermal pads 50x50x1mm?

Ok I wasn't sure if the more surface area the thermal pads had the more they could pull from the tablet. I'm guessing the area where the heatsink is coming into contact reaches a heat transfer bottleneck of some kind though. So go for thermal pads 50x50x1mm?

That sounds about right. 

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

That sounds about right. 

Thickness matters in this case or not? I can get the 0.5 or 1 mm ones. 

Thickness matters in this case or not? I can get the 0.5 or 1 mm ones. 

Thinner would be better.