Maxed Out PCIE Lanes Help

Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,
2 hours ago, jkeasley said:

What do you mean? If all 4th gen CPUs have 16 lanes and the motherboard says that it supports crossfire, then wouldn't I be able to run crossfire?

The CPU lanes are dedicated for Graphics cards and their PCI slots. All the other PCIe slots use the Chipset lanes provided and will not affect your graphics PCI Lanes. 

So I am planning on having 2 graphics cards, BUT I have maxed out lanes (16). Now my question: Will it still work if I then add a sound card?

yes but one of your gpus will be slowed down to x4.

the impact of that should be limited as PCIE 3.0 x4 should be like PCIE 2.0 x8

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Pretty sure just the GPU's use the CPU PCIe lanes, There are additional lanes on the chipset. Only the graphics card is dedicated to your CPU, so if you add a GPU, you will run in 8x mode on both, which still will not saturate the lanes. All other devices on PCIe pull from the Chipset. 

Here is an image based on the B85 chipset you have in your signature.

b85-chipset-diagram-3x2.jpg

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

4 minutes ago, 007agentHP said:

yes but one of your gpus will be slowed down to x4.

the impact of that should be limited as PCIE 3.0 x4 should be like PCIE 2.0 x8

Nope, it uses the chipset lanes.

7 minutes ago, jkeasley said:

So I am planning on having 2 graphics cards, BUT I have maxed out lanes (16). Now my question: Will it still work if I then add a sound card?

Also you can't run sli/crossfire on b85, you can only do that on z97/z170/c236/c226

17 minutes ago, legacy99 said:

-snippety-

Oh ok, so I can add another 7 x1 devices to run off the chipset lanes? Or at least another couple, or just one x4?

12 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Also you can't run sli/crossfire on b85, you can only do that on z97/z170/c236/c226

Not true, according to the B85-G43 website, it has crossfire support

Just now, jkeasley said:

Not true, according to the B85-G43 website, it has crossfire support

Using the chipset lanes. I said that wrong. You can't spit up the main x16 lanes from the cpu on b85

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Using the chipset lanes. I said that wrong. You can't spit up the main x16 lanes from the cpu on b85

What do you mean? If all 4th gen CPUs have 16 lanes and the motherboard says that it supports crossfire, then wouldn't I be able to run crossfire?

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

You can run crossfire on practically any motherboard. In fact I once did it on a crappy dell OEM machine before and it actually worked. But yeah you are right about the SLI thing Nvidia is much more picky about the boards SLI will work on.

That's why I went for this board, because it supports crossfire. As long as it does that, then I'm fine...right?

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

You can run crossfire on practically any motherboard. In fact I once did it on a crappy dell OEM machine before and it actually worked. But yeah you are right about the SLI thing Nvidia is much more picky about the boards SLI will work on.

Its intel not allowing you to run 8x 8x from the cpu. only the z97 boards support splitting the main pcie lanes.

depending on your budget, its likely to be better getting an external dac. you get less interference noise and it use lanes from the dmi, not the cpu

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

1 hour ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Why don't you get some sort of USB sound card then. That way you won't be stealing lanes from PCIe. Anyway what cards are you trying to crossfire anyway? It may be worth just selling the old one and buying a new card outright. 

I'm planning 2 secondhand R9 390s

1 hour ago, DrM said:

depending on your budget, its likely to be better getting an external dac. you get less interference noise and it use lanes from the dmi, not the cpu

Dont worry about my budget

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its intel not allowing you to run 8x 8x from the cpu. only the z97 boards support splitting the main pcie lanes.

All I can say, is that if a motherboard says that I can run crossfire ON B85. Then I can.

2 hours ago, jkeasley said:

The CPU lanes are dedicated for Graphics cards and their PCI slots. All the other PCIe slots use the Chipset lanes provided and will not affect your graphics PCI Lanes. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

16 hours ago, legacy99 said:

THANK YOU! At least I can get a straight answer from somebody