AMD Sempron SI-42 replacement

Hello there, LTT-Forum

I've got an old laptop I still use, today I added 2GB of RAM to have a comfortable 3GB DDR-2 RAM.

I also cleaned the old termal paste and the air cooler to improve temps, since I'm going to holiday in Cyprus soon and I don't want to fry it.

In future I'd like to replace my CPU aswell, I am currently using a Sempron SI-42 (1x2.1GHz) on the S1G2 socket,

my candidate for replacement is a  AMD Turion x2 Ultra ZM-87 (2x2.4GHz).

The question whether or not the CPU even fits my mainboard, the socket is the same but I know that tech can be confusing from time to time and I lack experience with AMD to know.

PS: I know this post ĺooks like it's from 2009, but I seriously keep using this PC till now and it works great.

TL;DR: Can you replace Sempron SI-42 by a AMD Turion x2 Ultra ZM-87?

A Toshiba Satellite Pro L300D-24B

it could work... probably.. we need to know whats your laptop.. the only problem is where are you gonna find that cpu xD

I found some more or less legit ones on Aliexpress

Are you sure your cpu can be even removed from your motherboard? I'm not much into laptops but I do know that sometimes those things can be soldered in and that pretty much closes your upgrade paths. And it's still kinda hazardous since you can't really find a list of supported CPUs for a laptop which wasn't meant to be upgradable. Though those are both K8 processors so you should be fine here.

Can somebody tell me if there could be anything besides the socket that I have to watch out for that could make this upgrade impossible?

@Verrierr thanks, I don't think that this should be an issue, but I'll do my research towards that anyways.

I think the Satellite Pros were partially marketed as upgradeable even thp a CPU isn't a normal thing to upgrade.

2 minutes ago, Millie said:

Can somebody tell me if there could be anything besides the socket that I have to watch out for that could make this upgrade impossible?

@Verrierr thanks, I don't think that this should be an issue, but I'll do my research towards that anyways.

I think the Satellite Pros were partially marketed as upgradeable even thp a CPU isn't a normal thing to upgrade.

The bios may prevent that cpu from working, and if the new chip has a higher tdp the cooling may not be powerful enough, and with older laptops they usually have a socket.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

The things that could potentially make this upgrade impossible are:

1. The BIOS of your mb can have some problems with your new CPU even though those two are pretty close related so it's most likely fine

2. Even though your new CPU will be successfully recognized by BIOS your old MB won't be able to take full advantage of the upgrade (like your HT bus being too slow or sth)

It would be ideally if you could fine someone out there with a laptop from the same model family who successfully upgraded his or her CPU to one that's the same or newer/better than the one you chose but chances of finding something this specific are pretty slim.