Client Only F@H?

https://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/linux-install-guide/#ntoc11

In this page under the heading "Command Line Only Options" it explicitly states that a command line only option is available, but that there is no installation guide. I'm considering this method because it will allow me to put my computer on a schedule using Ubuntu Server (CLI only install) such that it can automatically start and stop folding (I want to fold 16 hours at a time with an 8 hour break in between) for me. This will prevent me from having to spend precious time booting and starting F@H when I can better spend that time sleeping, errrr, I mean getting ready for class.

Has anyone tried this? Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn more? Is this just a really stupid idea?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

10 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

https://folding.stanford.edu/home/guide/linux-install-guide/#ntoc11

In this page under the heading "Command Line Only Options" it explicitly states that a command line only option is available, but that there is no installation guide. I'm considering this method because it will allow me to put my computer on a schedule using Ubuntu Server (CLI only install) such that it can automatically start and stop folding (I want to fold 16 hours at a time with an 8 hour break in between) for me. This will prevent me from having to spend precious time booting and starting F@H when I can better spend that time sleeping, errrr, I mean getting ready for class.

Has anyone tried this? Can anyone point me in the right direction to learn more? Is this just a really stupid idea?

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I'd just use cron to scedule bash scripts to run the on/off commands listed on the page you linked to.

• sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient start
  • sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient stop

Just leave the system running, and have it run them according to whatever schedule you want.

Folding For Linus since July 2015

5 hours ago, petem said:

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I'd just use cron to scedule bash scripts to run the on/off commands listed on the page you linked to.

• sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient start
  • sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient stop

Just leave the system running, and have it run them according to whatever schedule you want.

I had that part. For some reason, I cannot successfully install folding at home on any version of Linux, including when I manually make sure that all dependencies are installed. I have actually already written a batch script to start f@h after system startup, and another one to shut f@h down, leave idle for 2 minutes, then shut the system down and reboot 8 hours later. I can't actually get F@H to install anything other than the config.xml file. I've dug around on their forums, but to no avail so far.

7 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I had that part. For some reason, I cannot successfully install folding at home on any version of Linux, including when I manually make sure that all dependencies are installed. I have actually already written a batch script to start f@h after system startup, and another one to shut f@h down, leave idle for 2 minutes, then shut the system down and reboot 8 hours later. I can't actually get F@H to install anything other than the config.xml file. I've dug around on their forums, but to no avail so far.

I installed the standard 64 bit linux FAHclient and FAHcontrol on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS according to their instructions here: 

stanford linux install guide

I didn't bother with viewer.

The client still has my GTX 1080 confused with my GTX 980 - will get around to fixing it eventually...

If you can get that far, you should be able to start/stop the FAH client as posted above.  

It looks like the headless install requires configuring the client from the command line - which is apparently poorly documented.  If you intend to automate it, it might be simpler to just use FAHcontrol the first time around to get it working the way you want, then just run the client directly from cron/bash.

Linux is not my main OS, but I know enough to get myself in trouble :P.

Good luck!

- Pete

Just now, petem said:

I installed the standard 64 bit linux FAHclient and FAHcontrol on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS according to their instructions here: 

Ok. I'll move to Tahr from 16.04 (server) and see if that solves my problem. People have been reporting problems with 16.04(desktop) and non of the fixes worked. I do have two GPUS, but they are identical, so that shouldn't matter, so long as I can actually get FAHClient up and running at all. lol

5 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Ok. I'll move to Tahr from 16.04 (server) and see if that solves my problem. People have been reporting problems with 16.04(desktop) and non of the fixes worked. I do have two GPUS, but they are identical, so that shouldn't matter, so long as I can actually get FAHClient up and running at all. lol

Yea, I thought of upgrading, but I'm definitely a believer of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" when it comes to stuff I'm not familiar with ... :ph34r:

Just now, petem said:

Yea, I thought of upgrading, but I'm definitely a believer of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" when it comes to stuff I'm not familiar with

Yeah. I did learn a metric wackton about Linux trying to solve my issue though. I have to say that I would prefer it for folding at home because it makes it easier (or rather, possible) to have explicit control over certain aspects from the perspective of automation. This is proving to be quite challenging though, it's almost as if the people over at Stanford don't actually want people to run F@H. Keep an eye out for a guide: once I get things working the way I want, I will be posting a guide and the scripts I'll be using.