New Scrap-yard Wars!

UneekConcepts

So I have been a long time LMG watcher, well Linus watcher In a WAY less creeper way then that sounds, but yea been watching since NCIX, but new to the Forums  soo Hello all! So I wanted to make a quick post and maybe see what other people thought, I am sure a bunch of people have a bunch of different ideas, etc. But my Scrap Yard Wars idea for the next SYW would be something totally more difficult.  So I ADHD snd Dyslexic lol so gonna be kinda hard to explain from my head but have teams again, but it would be Linus teamed up with a complete "Amateur Builder/Maybe even brand new to building" and then obviously Luke with someone exactly the same but the twist is that Linus and Luke can ONLY  help with building and overclocking the PCs, the "Newbs" MUST be in charge of buying ALL the needed components!  Now th a t would really show some skill from Linus and Luke! Lol. So what are your thoughts?  What other scenarios do you guys see?

Look forward to seeing!

Edited by UneekConcepts

Interesting concept. I can only give my opinion this, and it would be that I would cringe way too hard through the whole season and would really hate it as a result... maybe someone else would like to see this though? :) 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If I remember rightly Linus has stated / hinted to the the next being Laptop based? Not too sure on this though and might just be talking out of my ass

2 minutes ago, LabRat said:

how about a teammate who doesn't speak the same language........... LOL

Dennis FTW :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Tbh I don't really like scrapyard wars anymore, the initial concept was fine but it has become less interesting with each iteration, I honestly prefer build guides over scrapyard wars/reviews over it, but I believe I'm in the minority on this view.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Tbh I don't really like scrapyard wars anymore, the initial concept was fine but it has become less interesting with each iteration, I honestly prefer build guides over scrapyard wars/reviews over it, but I believe I'm in the minority on this view.

Yeah, I'm in this boat too. My problem is it has become less 'scrap yard' and more '2nd hand'. I did like how luke and the other guy did use some scrap in the last series though! 

2 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

you're right, it got sidetracked somehow. maybe if they go back to the roots and stay closer to it. but I'd still like to see more.

7 minutes ago, UneekConcepts said:

So I have been a long time LMG watcher, well Linus watcher In a WAY creeper way then that sounds, but yea been watching since NCIX, but new to the Forums  soo Hello all! So I wanted to make a quick post and maybe see what other people thought, I am sure a bunch of people have a bunch of different ideas, etc. But my Scrap Yard Wars idea for the next SYW would be something totally more difficult.  So I ADHD snd Dyslexic lol so gonna be kinda hard to explain from my head but have teams again, but it would be Linus teamed up with a complete "Amateur Builder/Maybe even brand new to building" and then obviously Luke with someone exactly the same but the twist is that Linus and Luke can ONLY  help with building and overclocking the PCs, the "Newbs" MUST be in charge of buying ALL the needed components!  Now th a t would really show some skill from Linus and Luke! Lol. So what are your thoughts?  What other scenarios do you guys see?

Look forward to seeing!

Not a bad idea, but I'd be worried about this getting boring - with more explaining going on than actually going around and grabbing the parts.

3 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Because of when I got into LTT videos, I saw season 4 first which I thought was amazing. Season 1 was cool as well. Can't remember Season 2, but Season 3 however, it was just starting to get a bit old.

I wouldn't say the idea is old, it's just what @LabRat said. They just get sidetracked.

9 minutes ago, LabRat said:

I think I prefer this idea xD

I  noticed a couple parts of a couple episodes that got a bit boring, but I have still really enjoyed the series in a whole. Same with the Theme Based Builds, there are some parts that could be better, but the over all series is definitely fun to me. I think one HUGE thing that brought/brings some parts "down" is the absolute LACK of decent pc parts you guys have available in Canada,  so some parts became more about"How can I screw over so & so, instead of how can I "Beastmode this computer enough to dominate". One thing that may help is have it be a 1 week thing, and allow contestants the ability to use their eBay "Sniper Skillz", etc. To try to calculate a actual plan and make a nice, promising PC, instead of "I need to go grab the ONE only ONLY decent cpu anywhere within a 80 mile radius".

Another route could be to have the Challenge be back to just Linus and Luke, well maybe a few "helpers" for this concept, but NOT teammates. Then have something like a  $3k budget each, and see how many QUALITY rigs they can put together within the week, I know it may not sound super amazing but I could definitely see entertainment value in it, but my main thinking of this concept is having them be able to donate a ll Quality rigs to needing Families or Schools, etc.  That is something I could really support. 

If you want to put a bit of a twist on that particular concept,  you could also maybe give guidelines like one Basic Classroom PC, one Video Editing rig, one CAD rig, one Gaming Rig, etc. That way they really have to think about the components they are getting and how they will be used in each build. It could also act as a easy to follow basic "Computers for Purpose" kind of tutorial that can show newer builders, etc. What exactly the differences are in each setup, and why.

Thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2016 at 7:56 PM, KE2012 said:

Yeah, I'm in this boat too. My problem is it has become less 'scrap yard' and more '2nd hand'. I did like how luke and the other guy did use some scrap in the last series though! 

The first scrap yardwars was amazing

It's an interesting idea.  I'd actually like to see them travel somewhere fora week for it thoug, their area seems dried up, so go to the opposite end of Canada maybe?  Or maybe some cities with good craigslist selections in the US?  Do more 3 or even 4 ways with you tubers (like they did with Austin). The teams were kinda boring to me, I liked the free for all of season 3 better honestly. 

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

On Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 1:53 AM, LabRat said:

Too easy, you take Dennis and you're okay!

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

It's an interesting idea.  I'd actually like to see them travel somewhere fora week for it thoug, their area seems dried up, so go to the opposite end of Canada maybe?  Or maybe some cities with good craigslist selections in the US?  Do more 3 or even 4 ways with you tubers (like they did with Austin). The teams were kinda boring to me, I liked the free for all of season 3 better honestly. 

Yea the whole "dried up" thing is why Isuggested that they get the week instead of 24 hours so they could use eBay or Amazon or something,  but having them goto the States or something would be cool too. Send them to L.A. California or New York City, or better yet Silicon Valley Palo Alto, CAwhere there is im sure a assload of parts would be cool.

Linus can shop in the U.S. and Luke can shop in Afghanistan............

I don't know tho, even in the Silicon Valley area the parts still seem a bit over priced like a R9 270 for $100usd, $130cad seems a bit priceyto me at least or 8 GB of Crucial RAM for $35usd, $45cad just seems a bit much for just 1 stick of 8 gb when you can buy it brand new for the same price or probably even cheaper if you catch it on sale. Nvidia Gt 730 for $60usd, $78cad when you can get it brand new for $5 cheaper (or you can even get the better 2gb version for still $2 cheaper on that same page if you just click the 2gb tab) lol. Of course I am a Amazon Prime user so I don't consider shipping costs like a lot of people would I guess. 

I mean seriously lol this is crazy. A Zotac 1GB GTX 750ti low profile for $125use, $165cad went I can get the damn 2GB version for $30 cheaper! Lol, am I missing something here?

Man after watching all those Scrap Yard Wars videos I always just thought people in Canada were asking to much for their used parts because there just wasn't a lot to pick from, cause ive just never used craigslist to search for computer parts. But after doing the searching for that last post I made I can really see that 95% of people are ridiculous with their used parts, they all think their used shit is worth the same as brand new,  or even MORE in quite a few cases. Its crazyness lol

I say we have our own Scrap Yard Wars right here in this post and see who can actually link a computer component "upgrade" that is ACTUALLY worth buying! Lol, like something that you would consider "a good deal", cause the last hour I spent on Craigslist in various cities I have found JACK! Lol

Btw in the last hour THIS has been the best "deal" i have come across and that is a Intel 4790k for $250 usd. Thats basically all ive found lol. Oh and although I don't personally think its a "good deal", especially since you can get a rx480 or gtx 1060 cheaper and be well better lol, this MSI Golden Edition 970 is the cheapest ive seen anywhere else, but imo 300 usd is craze even though the seller is totally hell bent on getting that price lol.

I  think I am actually going to go ahead and start a new thread for that idea, iono people might think its dumb, but this is actually kinda fun to me so if its fun to a couple other people then it will be worth it lol.

I ask, why in the hell didn't they do one of these when they "vacationed" in Mexico?

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

I ask, why in the hell didn't they do one of these when they "vacationed" in Mexico?

Because hardware is ridiculously expensive here, even if is used. 

On top of that, the area where they were staying is a Tourist hotspot where would be next to impossible to find someone selling used, not even online.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

1 hour ago, Sors said:

Because hardware is ridiculously expensive here, even if is used. 

On top of that, the area where they were staying is a Tourist hotspot where would be next to impossible to find someone selling used, not even online.

sounds like a contest........

On 7/13/2016 at 7:53 PM, LabRat said:

DENNIS