Sleep key?

Looking for ANY keyboard (not buying, just curious) that has an actual sleep button on it. It's so useful to have one on my Logitech K260.

I know you can probably set a macro on any gaming keyboard to sleep, but some software that comes with the keyboards doesn't work with sleep :/

Any ideas? Hoping for a gaming keyboard. Cherry MX Brown Switches, Red backlight? Those are optional.

Looking for ANY keyboard (not buying, just curious) that has an actual sleep button on it. It's so useful to have one on my Logitech K260.

I know you can probably set a macro on any gaming keyboard to sleep, but some software that comes with the keyboards doesn't work with sleep :/

Any ideas? Hoping for a gaming keyboard. Cherry MX Brown Switches, Red backlight? Those are optional.

Get a Logitech G710+. It's a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches (Which, while key switches are a very personal choice that varies per person, are seen as the best over-all switch for both gaming and typing). It has a adjustable backlight, 6 macro keys (with 3 switches, so up to 18 macro keys really), and it's super solid build.

Best part, Logitech's keyboard software is amazing and probably one of the best (if not the best).

You could even just create a BAT script file that triggers the sleep function, and then assign a macro key to launch the file. This should also work with just about any keyboard with programmable keys.

BTW I have the G710+ and love it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I don't know of any keyboards that have this, although I'm pretty sure you can program any key combo to do this like alt+s. It gives you a lot more freedom in choosing a keyboard.

Back from the dead....

Get a Logitech G710+. It's a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches (Which, while key switches are a very personal choice that varies per person, are seen as the best over-all switch for both gaming and typing). It has a adjustable backlight, 6 macro keys (with 3 switches, so up to 18 macro keys really), and it's super solid build.

Best part, Logitech's keyboard software is amazing and probably one of the best (if not the best).

You could even just create a BAT script file that triggers the sleep function, and then assign a macro key to launch the file. This should also work with just about any keyboard with programmable keys.

This also has O-rings beneath the keycaps which will help dampen the noise. I have it and the backlight is very bright that I would have to set it at 50%.

Use this command: 

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0

http://superuser.com/questions/42124/how-can-i-put-the-computer-to-sleep-from-command-prompt-run-menu

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

This also has O-rings beneath the keycaps which will help dampen the noise. I have it and the backlight is very bright that I would have to set it at 50%.

Use this command: 

http://superuser.com/questions/42124/how-can-i-put-the-computer-to-sleep-from-command-prompt-run-menu

Awesome, thanks guys :)

I just wish Logitech would write which kind of switch it is on the box of the G710+. I know they have them at best buy but I have no clue what MX switch it is...

Also, do I just paste that code in a BAT file? Seems simple enough :3

microsft keyboards have sleep keys on them though its realy easy to put a pc to sleep

windows key > right right right right > s >(enter with classic start)

job done

microsft keyboards have sleep keys on them though its realy easy to put a pc to sleep

windows key > right right right right > s >(enter with classic start)

job done

Good point :P that can be my backup if I can't get a macro to work.

Use this command: 

Well, I tried it in CMD, and instead of putting my computer on sleep it put it on hibernate :/

Good point :P that can be my backup if I can't get a macro to work.

and no need to spend money

shortcuts might be better than macro

ive got a shutdown timer shortcut on my desktop for when i download stuff

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-desktop/is-there-any-way-to-make-a-desktop-shortcut-for/4e57f536-50a8-4942-a84a-290b3dea1ffb

Well, I tried it in CMD, and instead of putting my computer on sleep it put it on hibernate :/

In cmd, powercfg -h off.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

Think the easiest way to script for keybaords is to download autohotkey

In cmd, powercfg -h off.

Error code: "You do not have permission to enable or disable the Hibernate feature."

Huh. I'm running as admin :3

Can't you still use Windows button + right arrow key + enter or something? I can't really remember as the only one I use is Win Key + L for instant change user.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Error code: "You do not have permission to enable or disable the Hibernate feature."

Huh. I'm running as admin :3

I would try it again and make sure that the cmd window has the word Administrator: command prompt and try using this command:

powercfg -hibernate off

If it doesn't work, then download the .reg file in option 2 or try option 3: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I just wish Logitech would write which kind of switch it is on the box of the G710+. I know they have them at best buy but I have no clue what MX switch it is...

It has Cherry MX Brown switches. I know the packaging isn't super specific, but I can 100% confirm that (I have the G710+, plus: Linus' Unboxing of it!)

If your local Best Buy has it, you should try it out, and if you like it, get one! A decent price would be $140 or less.

Keep in mind, there is usually a small learning period as you adapt to the way a mechanical keyboard feels. Right at first, you may be a little worse then with a membrane keyboard. This is normal, and you should return to your normal level, then surpass it after a few weeks or a month.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It has Cherry MX Brown switches. I know the packaging isn't super specific, but I can 100% confirm that (I have the G710+, plus: Linus' Unboxing of it!)

If your local Best Buy has it, you should try it out, and if you like it, get one! A decent price would be $140 or less.

Keep in mind, there is usually a small learning period as you adapt to the way a mechanical keyboard feels. Right at first, you may be a little worse then with a membrane keyboard. This is normal, and you should return to your normal level, then surpass it after a few weeks or a month.

I thought it came in other kinds of Switches as well? That's why I was concerned.

Best buy doesn't seem to have an open box at the store, so I don't know how it feels (I haven't even tried out MX Browns yet but I know I want them :3)

There's only one thing I don't like about it - the white backlight. I was hoping for red/orange :/

I thought it came in other kinds of Switches as well? That's why I was concerned.

Best buy doesn't seem to have an open box at the store, so I don't know how it feels (I haven't even tried out MX Browns yet but I know I want them :3)

There's only one thing I don't like about it - the white backlight. I was hoping for red/orange :/

Yep it only comes with MX Browns. Eventually they may start adding new switches, but for now it's exclusively Brown.

As for the backlight, it's like a white/blue LED. It has 4 levels of brightness (Not as much as other choices, but I find the 4 levels enough variety personally). Unfortunately it only comes with the one backlight choice as well.

This is Logitech's first take at a Mechanical Keyboard after all, and I think they did a kickass job. Just imagine what the 2nd or 3rd generation one will be like. Hopefully they will add tri-colour LED's (Like many Razer mice) where you can literally choose from a colour wheel. And while I personally like Browns the best, it would be nice to have a choice of switches.

Yep it only comes with MX Browns. Eventually they may start adding new switches, but for now it's exclusively Brown.

As for the backlight, it's like a white/blue LED. It has 4 levels of brightness (Not as much as other choices, but I find the 4 levels enough variety personally). Unfortunately it only comes with the one backlight choice as well.

This is Logitech's first take at a Mechanical Keyboard after all, and I think they did a kickass job. Just imagine what the 2nd or 3rd generation one will be like. Hopefully they will add tri-colour LED's (Like many Razer mice) where you can literally choose from a colour wheel. And while I personally like Browns the best, it would be nice to have a choice of switches.

Thanks for all the help :) I'll get it as soon as I can afford it.

There's only one thing left I'm wondering about - I got a sleep function bound to a shortcut, but how do I bind it to a key? I have Logitech's Gaming software because I use a gaming mouse, and there doesn't seem to be a way to bind a program to a key :/ Only keyboard shortcuts.