Attempting Custom Cables

OK so I am going to attempt to sleeve my own cables. The plan is to run black cables from my PSU, because I just feel like that never looks right with colorful cables, then switch to my custom color scheme behind the mobo and run the cables where they need to go. I am doing research and I am just confused. On close inspection with the 24 pin I had previously been using the wires cross all over the place between the connectors, but I looked at a pinout and they all line up so that pin 1 on one connector has the same voltage as pin 1 on the other connector. So I am just wondering do I need to cross around all the wires like my current cable or can I just run them straight across. Any help is helpful. TY 

Is there a reason you dont want to buy either premade extentions from a company like Bitfenix or custom cables / extensions from @CableMod or similar?

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Extensions are inded the cleaner method. Either get a premade set or even make your own. But sleeving your PSU cables is messy business. 

Even if you get the proper tools for removing pins from the connector, and don't go with the ghetto staple approach, you will still have a bad time. The other option - de-soldering the wires from the PSU base (assuming they're not modular), and then soldering them back on is even scarier. It's a learning curve and you'll be mangling a few pins along the way. So unless you have a few spare PSU's lying around to practice and get good on, you'll be better off getting extensions.

I speak from experience.  My first attempt had me break the wings of three pins and tear two more clean out of the wire. My second attempt was a bit better but still not flawless. Since then I've been running a small sleeving business on the side, making extensions and providing materials for the people in my local market who don't want to go through this pain. I'm pretty sure I can remove all the pins from a cable set without any problems at this point, but I am not willing to try anymore, unless it is absolutely necessary. :)

1 hour ago, ThatCoolBlueKidd said:

Is there a reason you dont want to buy either premade extentions from a company like Bitfenix or custom cables / extensions from @CableMod or similar?

Was planning to go with cablemod but its hard to get them in US and they are pretty pricey.

1 hour ago, Corwin111 said:

Extensions are inded the cleaner method. Either get a premade set or even make your own. But sleeving your PSU cables is messy business. 

Even if you get the proper tools for removing pins from the connector, and don't go with the ghetto staple approach, you will still have a bad time. The other option - de-soldering the wires from the PSU base (assuming they're not modular), and then soldering them back on is even scarier. It's a learning curve and you'll be mangling a few pins along the way. So unless you have a few spare PSU's lying around to practice and get good on, you'll be better off getting extensions.

I speak from experience.  My first attempt had me break the wings of three pins and tear two more clean out of the wire. My second attempt was a bit better but still not flawless. Since then I've been running a small sleeving business on the side, making extensions and providing materials for the people in my local market who don't want to go through this pain. I'm pretty sure I can remove all the pins from a cable set without any problems at this point, but I am not willing to try anymore, unless it is absolutely necessary. :)

Well I don't have a ton of space for extensions is a big issue.My psu is modular by the way.  Also I am starting halfway. I priced it out and decided my best option was to just get pre-sleeved but not yet installed cables and then I'm going to finish off the work myself. That way I avoid most of the mess but still get the finished product I want for a good amount cheaper. I just need to know about the actual wiring process

2 hours ago, ferrbearr said:

OK so I am going to attempt to sleeve my own cables. The plan is to run black cables from my PSU, because I just feel like that never looks right with colorful cables, then switch to my custom color scheme behind the mobo and run the cables where they need to go. I am doing research and I am just confused. On close inspection with the 24 pin I had previously been using the wires cross all over the place between the connectors, but I looked at a pinout and they all line up so that pin 1 on one connector has the same voltage as pin 1 on the other connector. So I am just wondering do I need to cross around all the wires like my current cable or can I just run them straight across. Any help is helpful. TY 

The wires do cross over and in most cases are not a 1:1 connection, so you will need a pinout diagram made to make sure you don't cross any wires. Also note many PSU's will have a few pins with two wires going to it as a sense line.

If your want more details on sleeving I have a guide here on it under Sleeving, including links to Lutro0customs which has some great guides: