Is this a good Ebay buy?

No. If you have a GameStop near you though, they usually sell $30 used DS's WITH stylus's.

4 minutes ago, ChickenNugget said:

No. If you have a GameStop near you though, they usually sell $30 used DS's WITH stylus's.

Thanks, I'll check that out

23 minutes ago, Johnmakuta said:

I am looking into getting an original DS because I love GBA games and DS games and would love to play them again. Do you think this ebay listing is legit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-DS-Original-Platinum-Silver-Handheld-System-/351605570421?_trkparms=%26rpp_cid%3D56aff60fe4b01f562158b3c5%26rpp_icid%3D56afd35be4b0dda625e724be

Man, that makes me want to play some DS games. However, our DSi has a shoulder button that doesn't work. Maybe parts are cheaper than a replacement. Hmmm...  <runs to a new tab to start searching>

I would recommend getting a system in real life, from a second hand game store, a pawnshop or even a flea market. With the first two you usually have some sort of guarantee the system will work, or you can try it out in real life with the latter (or get it super cheap at a flea market)

On 5/24/2016 at 3:13 AM, TheBestUserName said:

Man, that makes me want to play some DS games. However, our DSi has a shoulder button that doesn't work. Maybe parts are cheaper than a replacement. Hmmm...  <runs to a new tab to start searching>

Keep in mind you will need a proprietary screwdriver (bit). It's called 'tri wing'

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

Keep in mind you will need a proprietary screwdriver (bit). It's called 'tri wing'

I have one, but the DSi actually has regular philips-head screws.  

I took it apart and examined it. The shoulder buttons are part of a $7 ribbon cable from eBay.  It just shipped this morning. I'm excited to get this bad boy back up and running. 

3 hours ago, Minibois said:

I would recommend getting a system in real life, from a second hand game store, a pawnshop or even a flea market. With the first two you usually have some sort of guarantee the system will work, or you can try it out in real life with the latter (or get it super cheap at a flea market)

@Johnmakuta  I generally agree with this unless the seller has a lot of very explicit descriptions. The reason for this specific system is because of the nature of using it -- the touch screen.  Many listings will say in the description "scratches on the touch screen."  The word "scratches" can have varying degrees of severity to different people and it's hard to get the true meaning in words, and photos are hard to see.  Nearly every system in the DS family (DS, DSi, 3DS, etc) has some sort of abrasion on the touch screen because of the stylus. It's unavoidable unless the owner just never uses a stylus at all, ever.  But I wouldn't consider normal-use abrasions to be "scratches" or anything that would decrease the resale value.  

But again, some sellers/owners would have their own views on what they call a "scratch."  Tread those waters lightly.  I still encourage you to continue shopping online for used ones, but consider my food-for-thought above when you see one that looks like a good system at a good price. 

8 minutes ago, TheBestUserName said:

@Johnmakuta  I generally agree with this unless the seller has a lot of very explicit descriptions. The reason for this specific system is because of the nature of using it -- the touch screen.  Many listings will say in the description "scratches on the touch screen."  The word "scratches" can have varying degrees of severity to different people and it's hard to get the true meaning in words, and photos are hard to see.  Nearly every system in the DS family (DS, DSi, 3DS, etc) has some sort of abrasion on the touch screen because of the stylus. It's unavoidable unless the owner just never uses a stylus at all, ever.  But I wouldn't consider normal-use abrasions to be "scratches" or anything that would decrease the resale value.  

But again, some sellers/owners would have their own views on what they call a "scratch."  Tread those waters lightly.  I still encourage you to continue shopping online for used ones, but consider my food-for-thought above when you see one that looks like a good system at a good price. 

Only if the seller always had a screen protector, it wont have any scratches. And you also have the hinge to worry about (mainly on DS Lite system), so it's just really handy to actually see the device in real life.

Maybe OP can use Craigslist (or his local equivalent like Kijiji or whatever) so he can meet up with someone and see the device.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Minibois said:

Only if the seller always had a screen protector, it wont have any scratches. And you also have the hinge to worry about (mainly on DS Lite system), so it's just really handy to actually see the device in real life.

Maybe OP can use Craigslist (or his local equivalent like Kijiji or whatever) so he can meet up with someone and see the device.

Ahhhh screen protectors.  Good point.  I didn't think about that because I don't use them. 

The more I think about my DSi (thanks to this thread) the more excited I am to fix it and play games on it. (I need to start a new thread topic.) I almost bought a replacement used one instead since they're relatively cheap, but I didn't for all the reasons we just stated.  I know the history of mine (it's actually my son's).. so it's almost like buying a used car.  "Just what exactly did the last owner do with it?"