Is the iPhone 5s that big of a deal?

ShadyHost

I managed to get my hands on one at launch day. I didn't spend hours outside the store, I called a RadioShack in the middle of nowhere and they happened to have a few in stock. 

People are losing their heads when I sit next to them in class and they find out I have the 5s. In one instance my Personal Finance teacher stopped the entire class and came over just to mess with my phone. 

Is the 5s that much more exciting than any other iPhone? I remember the 4 being a huge deal but not enough to drop everything. 

Thoughts? Is Apple just that good at marketing?

lol that is like the opposite of this happened in one of my classes. A kid got an Iphone 5c and people pointed, laughed at him, and said he got ripped off.

to me the new apple product is just treated like you have the latest in fashion even if it isn't that much different

They don't have a marketing, they have a following.

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

Apple (and subsequently the iPhones) is big because everyone talks about it; Just look at all the [positive] media coverage they get compared to, for example, Google or Microsoft. Of course this will lead to amazing levels of hype among those who are not all that into hardware, or just phones in general. Apple lives off of this hype, and I applaud their success. However, I would never personally invest in a Apple-branded product.

Cheers,

Linus

lol that is like the opposite of this happened in one of my classes. A kid got an Iphone 5c and people pointed, laughed at him, and said he got ripped off.

to me the new apple product is just treated like you have the latest in fashion even if it isn't that much different

That is a good point, the 5c is nice or someone coming from a 4 or 4s. But so close to launch day you can still pick up an iPhone 5 which looks and feels nicer. Now there is a battery life improvement which is nice but the plastic is unbearable. Talk about 3g/3gs 2.0

It's a fashion item. Apple does a fantastic job creating something like a cult around them and keeping people within their iEcosystem.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

In my High school everyone got a Macbook Air for school work instead of a computer... Just because they thought it was better at everything and just so great  :huh:

And if you say something bad about Apple they will look upon you like a christian in a Syrian rebel camp...

i wonder what would happen if someone where to buy an iPhone 5S here...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

I had my first iPhone because my family uses iPhones. I've got nothing against android but I won't be using one any time soon. I don't buy apple products because they are popular, I but them because they work and feel the way mobile devices should.

In my High school everyone got a Macbook Air for school work instead of a computer... Just because they thought it was better at everything and just so great  :huh:

And if you say something bad about Apple they will look upon you like a christian in a Syrian rebel camp...

i wonder what would happen if someone where to buy an iPhone 5S here...

Its rare to see someone in my school that doesn't have an iPhone. I use my Macbook during school in some classes while others look at me from behind their peasant HP laptops from Best Buy.

Just kidding. 

I prefer OS X on laptops because it make sense. Windows on a laptop is mediocre. The scrolling on a Mac just feels so nice and its fun to use. On the contrary: OS X on a desktop sucks. I much prefer Windows on my desktop. People who use a Mac Pro/iMac are hipsters. 

Its rare to see someone in my school that doesn't have an iPhone. I use my Macbook during school in some classes while others look at me from behind their peasant HP laptops from Best Buy.

Just kidding. 

I prefer OS X on laptops because it make sense. Windows on a laptop is mediocre. The scrolling on a Mac just feels so nice and its fun to use. On the contrary: OS X on a desktop sucks. I much prefer Windows on my desktop. People who use a Mac Pro/iMac are hipsters. 

Of course the Macbook Air is great when you get used to it but I would still prefer one of the Ultrabooks which launched with Haswell this summer because I actually like Windows 8 as long as it is being controlled by a touchscreen :)

I started this year so it wouldn´t have been to hard to but them instead...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

I think the changes which have come with the 5s are some of the biggest and best improvements they have made to almost the same phone. Makes me want to get one as it would be my first iPhone.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Coming from an Android user I got to admit that the iPhone 5S is actually doing really well in benchmarks, people are also saying it has a great camera and is a really well designed phone. It's also one of the few high end phones to have a smaller screen.

I still prefer the android platform for so many reasons, so I won't be switching anytime soon, regardless I think the iPhone 5S is a decent phone.

Coming from an Android user I got to admit that the iPhone 5S is actually doing really well in benchmarks, people are also saying it has a great camera and is a really well designed phone. It's also one of the few high end phones to have a smaller screen.

I still prefer the android platform for so many reasons, so I won't be switching anytime soon, regardless I think the iPhone 5S is a decent phone.

The 5s gets a better score than the S4

Compare scores:

MwvwcHv.png