8 (or is it 10??) Gamers, 1 CPU

LinusTech
  • 1 month later...

I hope I'm not necroing this topic too bad, but I hope it's relevant enough.. Watching this video a while back, I was wondering if Linus would ever reboot the project, but maybe something more "portable" to use the concept for.  I.E. a couple of servers mounted in a bus or RV of some sort and use the same/similar Thunderbolt hubs and Corning optical cables from the Personal Rig builds to allow for a roundtable of gaming rigs.  Maybe have the different companies sponsor the build (Limetech, Supermicro, or the individual component manufacturers, etc) and allow LTT to take the rig to various shows, sort of help show off performance of the VM software, and just make a badass portable gaming tour bus.  (Oh, and did I mention, lots of room for RGB's?)

Insane, I know, but it is LTT after all..

Time to do an Ryzen Thread ripper reboot (Or the 18 core i9). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

"may 22"
oh this is not that old

"2016"
Bildergebnis für tfw face

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

16 hours ago, rn8686 said:

Time to do an Ryzen Thread ripper reboot (Or the 18 core i9). 

And in that new corsair case at computex!

• 1 year later...

Hi, so how does one connect to the VMs? By Windows Remote Desktop (RDP), or is it by steamlink or something? Most notably can I use my Mac as a display?

• 1 month later...

6:38 "shared data between virtual disks"

Any info on how this was done? Now over 2 years later, on unraid 6.6.6 it hasn't made its way to the webgui like Linus was hoping.

I've got 3 gaming VMs and was running out of SSD space. Each of them has their own vdisk for Windows 10 and one smb share for games/data. Picked up 2 NVMe drives on black friday and the nightmare started:

Asus Hyper m.2 x16 card only shows 1 of the 2 NVMe drives (am I running out of pcie lanes?)

I have to use the mobo m.2 slot (only has one) and one x8 m.2 card to have both show up. That messes the iommu groupings so have to enable PCIe ACS override. Now I get USB devices disconnecting and VMs crashing when another one is started.

Guess I can only use one of the new drives so anything to save disk space would be nice. Last few days I've been troubleshooting, moving data and the kids are going nuts because their gaming VMs are either shutdown, or just not stable.

Xeon E5-2683 v4 

128GB DDR4

r9 280x, gtx 1080, gtx 780

5 hdd (1 for parity + 4 data), 4 SSD, 2 NVMe 

PCI-e USB 3.0 card for HTC Vive

• 2 years later...

how you extend the wires to all monitors, keyboard and mouse?