Xbox one controller not working with certain games in steam

So as the title says I am having issues using my xbox one controller in a few games with steam,

It is star wars sales on steam so I downloaded KOTOR 2 (which should have full controller support) but as soon as it launches it is as though the xbox pad is being ignored for some reason?!

I had the same issue with Zombie Driver HD a few days ago but that had a Config or launch button when you first click play from steam, that was showing my Roccat Tyon mouse as the main controller so clicked and it gave me a drop down to choose the xbox one pad. 

There is no config menu for KOTOR 2 and looking through google I can only find people complaining about it then uninstalling the Xbox 360 drivers and software and then it seems to work fine. 

I USED to use the 360 pad and had the wireless dongle but I have removed and uninstalled all of that stuff so it shouldn't be an issue. 

Is there anyway to get steam to ensure it see the xbox one pad as the main pad and make it work?!

thanks in advance :)

CPU:                Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

Graphics:         Inno3D GeForce GTX 980Ti Hybrid Black Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-E

RAM:              Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz

Case:                Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower Case - Black (3x 140mm Phantek fans)
MOBO:            Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Boot SSD:        Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA
Game SSD:      Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive

CPU Cooling:  Overclockers UK & SilverStone - 120mm FQ121WC Watercooling Radiator Fan x 2
                       Asetek 240mm 570LX

PSU:               Corsair 750M Semi-Modular 80 Plus Gold rated

Monitor 1:       Sony BRAVIA KDL32W705BBU Smart 32" LED TV

Monitor 2:       Samsung 24" S24C300

Keyboard:        Razer Blackwidow Chroma

Mouse:             Roccat TYON

Speakers:         SBS2112 with Bluetooth

Headset:           Turtle Beach Elite 800 Stealth

Em... Kinda weird - I didn't have any troubles with my xbox 360 gamepad in kotor 2, just in some other games.

Later I switched to logitech f710 and this is way much better now - works with everything. Also you need to charge it like once in 4 month.

So after a bit of fiddling it seems if I unplug my Roccat Tyon Gaming mouse then the game will allow me to use the xbox pad....wtf?! how do I make steam make the Xbox pad priority and the mouse not be recognised as a game pad.... never had this before...?!

CPU:                Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor

Graphics:         Inno3D GeForce GTX 980Ti Hybrid Black Edition 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-E

Case:                Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Mid Tower Case - Black (3x 140mm Phantek fans)
MOBO:            Asus Maximus VIII Hero Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

Game SSD:      Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive

CPU Cooling:  Overclockers UK & SilverStone - 120mm FQ121WC Watercooling Radiator Fan x 2
                       Asetek 240mm 570LX

5 minutes ago, paprikman said:

Em... Kinda weird - I didn't have any troubles with my xbox 360 gamepad in kotor 2, just in some other games.

Later I switched to logitech f710 and this is way much better now - works with everything. Also you need to charge it like once in 4 month.

I think one issue was because I had the old drivers installed it was recognising that as the main pad and then ignoring the xbox one controller, now it seems it is seeing the mouse as the controller and ignoring the xbox one pad...

any idea how to change the priority or remove the mouse from recognised game pad devices....?!

Asetek 240mm 570LX

It seems like for some daft reason steam is putting my gaming mouse as the main controller so does anyone know how to delete this from the menu or get it to be chosen second or something so it wont be a problem anymore?!

here's a screen shot of the steam big picture mode showing the Tyon under controllers: 

(Virtual XInput Device is the xbox pad and the XInput Controller seems to show battery life and when I click on it then it vibrates so I would assume that handles the rumble feedback on the controller) 

controller steam.jpg

Asetek 240mm 570LX

13 hours ago, MrG13 said:

It seems like for some daft reason steam is putting my gaming mouse as the main controller so does anyone know how to delete this from the menu or get it to be chosen second or something so it wont be a problem anymore?!

here's a screen shot of the steam big picture mode showing the Tyon under controllers: 

(Virtual XInput Device is the xbox pad and the XInput Controller seems to show battery life and when I click on it then it vibrates so I would assume that handles the rumble feedback on the controller) 

controller steam.jpg

Actually, you cannot delete anything from here.

Idk why your mouse appears here, maybe because you've added it manually. I have only my gamepad shown in this list. Reset your steam settings, disconnet your mouse, maybe some will help.

You need to change the ID of the mouse.

It seems like your mouse is using game controller HID software to control this.  No mouse should ever be doing that.  In other words, trash that mouse and get something decent like a Logitech G900 or G502.  A mouse should NEVER be seen as a game controller!

Most likely, you would have the exact same issue with Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4, which only accept the first game controller detected.

Anyway, there may be a few programs which let you change the ID of game controller devices, but I never had any luck with changing ID's

You can try JoyIDs, or Xinput Plus (Xinput plus is ONLY for xinput controllers!!) to see if one of those will help.

Note that Xinput Plus allows you to set deadzones, remap buttons, etc, and even allow you to use your controller in directinput mode with remapped buttons or dpad.  It's basically "X360CE (Xbox 360 controller emulator) in reverse, meaning it requires an xinput device (Xbox 360 controller, xbox 360 fightsticks, xbox one).  I really like Xinput plus because it allows me to use my Xbox 360 triggers in a directinput game, by allowing me to set the triggers as buttons 11 and 12 and then to enable directinput output.  Then I can use my triggers in Silent Hill 2, 3, 4, etc.

Another program is Xoutput 0.11 but that's basically a "driver" version of Xbox 360 CE, which works well with PS3 controllers, and won't work with Xbox 360 controllers.

The current version of JoyToKey supports xinput devices and can read all of the axes and buttons on xinput controllers if you enable show all axes in the options.  This won't help you if you need analog support, however, since you would be remapping everything as keys, including the thumbsticks.

I have no idea if this will do anything for you.

http://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13009

https://sites.google.com/site/0dd14lab/xinput-plus

On 07/05/2016 at 8:13 AM, paprikman said:

maybe because you've added it manually

No I did not, only ever used a 360 pad with dongle and then the Xbone pad, again with dongle, but never manually added anything

On 07/05/2016 at 10:14 PM, Falkentyne said:

Most likely, you would have the exact same issue with Battlefield 3 and Battlefield 4, which only accept the first game controller detected

I haven't tried battlefield 4 but I have 3 through Origin and I can't seem to get it to load today to do some testing for some reason, (I will look into that in the future...) 

But some great news I did a bit more googling and it seems as the mouse has a lever which operates as a joystick it gets a driver attached to it called,

'HID-Compliant game controller'

which can be found in my device manager, I don't use the little lever/paddle apart from scrolling up and down websites so I disabled the driver and it is no longer recognised by steam so means the Xbone pad, now being the only one officially installed is working just fine :) talk about a long winded effort lmao! 

but thanks to everyone for the help and that was a pretty good explanation of how to get gaming pads running @Falkentyne with good explanation behind so thanks again for that :)

I included some screen shots of what I found below and how it now appears in big picture mode if anyone else is interested or has the same issue: 

deviceman.png

working steam.jpg

Asetek 240mm 570LX