Gigabyte AMD 970 Motherboard

Go to solution Solved by Prysin,
5 hours ago, MajorGoob said:

So the GA-970 UD3P should suffice? I really just want something that wont die after a year of running at 3.9 or 4 ghz.

ASRock 970A-G/3.1, Gigabyte GA970-UD3P or ASUS 970 Gaming. they will all do just damn fine at 3.9-4Ghz. All of those is capable of doing 4.2GHz even. Just make sure to keep the voltage below 1.425v and have good airflow going through your case.

If you use a AIO watercooler, you need a stronger fan at the back to push more air across your motherboard, if not the loss of air that a air-cooler would move across the VRM heatsink will limit your ability to OC.

The three motherboards i listed above will not "just die". They have advanced safety measures to prevent you from killing the board. That doesnt mean you CANT kill your board. it is just a lot harder. In case of "Over Voltage" or "Over Current" or simply the VRMs getting too hot, the motherboards will throttle the CPU until the VRMs are able to cool down sufficiently.

2 hours ago, Prysin said:

Well, unfortunatly, you managed to attract @Benji_w, which is arguably one of the biggest FX Fanboys on this forum. He knows his stuff, but like i said earlier, he is blinded by brand bias.

That being said, it was not my intention to cause such a fuss. He just ticks me off with his continued bias and blindness.

As for your question.

Gigabyte GA-970 UD3P
ASRock 970A-G/3.1

ASUS 970 GAMING

those three are the best choices. 

So the GA-970 UD3P should suffice? I really just want something that wont die after a year of running at 3.9 or 4 ghz.

ERROR: VAR_TRAINOFTHOUGHT RETURN CHAR(MISSING)

RESTART  BRAINTHOUGHTS_MAJORGOOB.EXE?

Y                             N

~               

MSI 970 gaming will handle 4.5 without a stutter - I would go as far as to guarantee it if the silicon quality is capable. 

3 hours ago, Benji_w said:

Not really, I have an intel rig, but I'm still waiting for it to blow my socks off with this amazing performance everyone speaks of? 5 extra fps in games really isn't a huge leap in performance tbh. I'm not biased btw I just speak the truth, the UD3P will shit itself so will the ASRock, the asus is the best board.

The truth hurts Prysin but then again you've a lot to learn. Recommending a sub par product when the asus is the best bang for the buck is just silly is it not? I'm pretty sure you've said that to me a few times... Ironically. 

The amount of VRM isn't worth jack shit if the quality of the component is shit like ASRock love to do.

The ASUS is notably more expensive then the others. Currently it goes for 109 USD, that is 37 USD more then the ASRock, 20 bucks more then the Gigabyte 970 Gaming.

And following your logick, why not put another 20 bucks ontop of that ASUS board and get a Gigabyte 990FX Gaming. Arguably one of THE best boards availible atm given its feature set, the 990FX chipset and power delivery being solid.

You claim i have a lot to learn, that might be, but you are in the same boat. We are at different ends of the same boat. I do not see a huge need to reach 5GHz. Ive done plenty of benchmarking of OC scaling with FX, you get severe diminishing returns after 4.5Ghz. The more you push, the more power you spend, the less you get in return. Sure you get more FPS, but the % cost in power far outweighs the % boost in FPS or synthetic scores. It simply AINT WORTH IT.

If you want to get the best you can get from a FX, sure go for 5Ghz+, but that doesnt mean it is a SMART move. 

Also, you got what? a i5 4460? 4690k?

Did you think you would see huge differences in todays game with an i5??? Ive been saying this for MONTHS that if you play games from 2014 or newer, a FX6 or FX8 is generally as good as an i5 at stock. But then again, 4 cores which is 70% faster in single thread at 3.6Ghz, will obviously be MUCH faster at 4.xGhz. But the fact is, you are trying to make outdated and weak CPUs work with todays demand, when as a matter of fact, they are still not meeting todays demand no matter how hard you push em.

Now, your setup may be fine, but then again, you dont have a 980Ti, you dont even have a GPU powerful enough to make your CPU bottleneck show up. Your whole setup and argument is based upon a mid-range GPU paired with a mid-range CPU.

Come back when you got a GPU powerful enough to turn every setting to absolute MAX in The Witcher 3 at 2560x1440p. Then we can talk how "good" your CPU is.

5 hours ago, MajorGoob said:

ASRock 970A-G/3.1, Gigabyte GA970-UD3P or ASUS 970 Gaming. they will all do just damn fine at 3.9-4Ghz. All of those is capable of doing 4.2GHz even. Just make sure to keep the voltage below 1.425v and have good airflow going through your case.

If you use a AIO watercooler, you need a stronger fan at the back to push more air across your motherboard, if not the loss of air that a air-cooler would move across the VRM heatsink will limit your ability to OC.

The three motherboards i listed above will not "just die". They have advanced safety measures to prevent you from killing the board. That doesnt mean you CANT kill your board. it is just a lot harder. In case of "Over Voltage" or "Over Current" or simply the VRMs getting too hot, the motherboards will throttle the CPU until the VRMs are able to cool down sufficiently.

2 minutes ago, Prysin said:

Most 970 boards would do fine at 4GHZ, just watch out for VRM and Socket cooling...

I can hit 4.2GHZ easily with 1.38-1.4v but i'm limited by my stock cooler.

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

The ASUS is notably more expensive then the others. Currently it goes for 109 USD, that is 37 USD more then the ASRock, 20 bucks more then the Gigabyte 970 Gaming.

And following your logick, why not put another 20 bucks ontop of that ASUS board and get a Gigabyte 990FX Gaming. Arguably one of THE best boards availible atm given its feature set, the 990FX chipset and power delivery being solid.

You claim i have a lot to learn, that might be, but you are in the same boat. We are at different ends of the same boat. I do not see a huge need to reach 5GHz. Ive done plenty of benchmarking of OC scaling with FX, you get severe diminishing returns after 4.5Ghz. The more you push, the more power you spend, the less you get in return. Sure you get more FPS, but the % cost in power far outweighs the % boost in FPS or synthetic scores. It simply AINT WORTH IT.

If you want to get the best you can get from a FX, sure go for 5Ghz+, but that doesnt mean it is a SMART move. 

Also, you got what? a i5 4460? 4690k?

Did you think you would see huge differences in todays game with an i5??? Ive been saying this for MONTHS that if you play games from 2014 or newer, a FX6 or FX8 is generally as good as an i5 at stock. But then again, 4 cores which is 70% faster in single thread at 3.6Ghz, will obviously be MUCH faster at 4.xGhz. But the fact is, you are trying to make outdated and weak CPUs work with todays demand, when as a matter of fact, they are still not meeting todays demand no matter how hard you push em.

Now, your setup may be fine, but then again, you dont have a 980Ti, you dont even have a GPU powerful enough to make your CPU bottleneck show up. Your whole setup and argument is based upon a mid-range GPU paired with a mid-range CPU.

Come back when you got a GPU powerful enough to turn every setting to absolute MAX in The Witcher 3 at 2560x1440p. Then we can talk how "good" your CPU is.

Lmfao don't be a sour puss, and my card isn't your average 970, it's a few points off being the fastest on the forum. Is there anything else you need to say for my amusement or are you pretty much out of salt? So cute!

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

After some scrolling trough this topic, i read allot of discussions about VRM cirquitry.

I´m not fully sure how well some of you guys are exaly educated into this stuff.

And i´m not going to deeply into this right now.

Because i allready done that in other topics.

But to aswer topic starters question.

If you are looking for a decent reasonable priced AM3+ motherboard which can do some nice overclocking.

Then the Asus 970 pro gaming Aura is one of the better choices.

THe Asus 970 pro gaming / Aura has a very rarely seen 7+1 digital controled PWM from IR / chil.

Mosfets used on this particular board are decent aswell, namely NTMFS4C09N and 2xNTMFS4C06N.

And the output capacitors used on the board are most likely 10K black caps from Ti.

The inductors they use are the same as Asus uses on their mainstream Intel Z170 boards.

Not the highest end they have in stock, but they are sufficient.

Some overclock testing they have done with the Asus pro gaming Aura.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1591829/fx-8370-and-pro-gaming-aura-asus-mb-overclocking

6 hours ago, Sintezza said:

After some scrolling trough this topic, i read allot of discussions about VRM cirquitry.

I´m not fully sure how well some of you guys are exaly educated into this stuff.

And i´m not going to deeply into this right now.

Because i allready done that in other topics.

But to aswer topic starters question.

If you are looking for a decent reasonable priced AM3+ motherboard which can do some nice overclocking.

Then the Asus 970 pro gaming Aura is one of the better choices.

THe Asus 970 pro gaming / Aura has a very rarely seen 7+1 digital controled PWM from IR / chil.

Mosfets used on this particular board are decent aswell, namely NTMFS4C09N and 2xNTMFS4C06N.

And the output capacitors used on the board are most likely 10K black caps from Ti.

The inductors they use are the same as Asus uses on their mainstream Intel Z170 boards.

Not the highest end they have in stock, but they are sufficient.

Some overclock testing they have done with the Asus pro gaming Aura.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1591829/fx-8370-and-pro-gaming-aura-asus-mb-overclocking

Thats all fine and good that its the best one, but I dont need the absolute best. Yes, I am sure the aura has some great heatsinks and overclocking abilities etc. But I dont need something that can overclock a 9350 to 8 gigahertz. I dont have 120 dollars to spend on a motherboard, I have 80 to 90.

ERROR: VAR_TRAINOFTHOUGHT RETURN CHAR(MISSING)

RESTART  BRAINTHOUGHTS_MAJORGOOB.EXE?

Y                             N

~               

4 hours ago, MajorGoob said:

Thats all fine and good that its the best one, but I dont need the absolute best. Yes, I am sure the aura has some great heatsinks and overclocking abilities etc. But I dont need something that can overclock a 9350 to 8 gigahertz. I dont have 120 dollars to spend on a motherboard, I have 80 to 90.

I understand, and there is nothing wrong with that.

The Gigabyte 970A UD3P or Msi 970A Gaming should basicly be fine.

But my point mainly was that i see allot of people talk about vrm and powerphases.

But you need to understand that there is more to the story of vrm cirquitry then just raw phase count.

Also there is a diffrence between "true" phases and "pwm" phases, and some people might not fully understand that.

Motherboard manufacturers often misslead people wenn it comes to that matter.

The Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P is a good example of this.

Thats more my point. :)

But i dont want to go too far off topic on an allready answerd topic.

But if you are interested in this stuff, you might like to read the last 2 posts i made in that topic i linked above.

Or feel free to ask.