can a mamanged switch act as Router?

Bacon8tor
5 hours ago, Windspeed36 said:

It's terribly overpriced for what it is unless you need the payment or social media gateway feature. Plenty of other manufacturers have unified control solutions.

My personal favorite to work with is Aruba, but they win the over priced competition by a mile :P

8 hours ago, leadeater said:

My personal favorite to work with is Aruba, but they win the over priced competition by a mile :P

Yeah know that feel - quoting a 3810 for a client to act as an iSCSI SAN switch - ~$22k.

1 hour ago, Windspeed36 said:

Yeah know that feel - quoting a 3810 for a client to act as an iSCSI SAN switch - ~$22k.

Only ever used their range of access points and controllers, never even seen one of their switches. What are they like to use and manage etc? 

At work we have just finished moving from Cisco Nexus to HP in our data centers and have also been running HP for campus networks for a while. I can say it has not been smooth sailing, with critical fixes for us only coming from product releases not from frankly simple firmware fixes. For ages we were plagued with an issue where if the switches were rebooted the ports would become active and also supply PoE to phones before the switch is fully booted so the VoIP phones would end up on the data VLAN not the voice VLAN, why could that not be fixed with firmware grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!.

Another brand I've had a lot of success with is Allied Telesis, really like the x510/x610/x900-24XS/DC2552XS/L3. I would say almost every school in NZ uses Allied Telsis as it was the preferred vendor for a long time during the School Network Upgrade Program (SNUP), info from previous job.

I still use Cisco for my home network though, Cisco training really is good for locking people in to their brand. Can't really see the day where I'll ever change from them as my top choice.

On 5/5/2016 at 5:32 AM, KuJoe said:

That is at somebody's house? I've seen actual data centers with less cables. xD

You should see some of the homes with home automation services. My friend can route video from any device to any screen or projector in his house, along with music and even control and dim lights and shades via an android / iphone app.

Look up Crestron. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

7 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

You should see some of the homes with home automation services. My friend can route video from any device to any screen or projector in his house, along with music and even control and dim lights and shades via an android / iphone app.

Look up Crestron. 

THe owner in which I am doing this for has the crestron in his house. mainly why everything is shit . 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w 

Just now, Bacon8tor said:

THe owner in which I am doing this for has the crestron in his house. mainly why everything is shit . 

I will say, it really depends who setup the system and did all the programming. I've seen Crestron done really well, and super shitty.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

10 minutes ago, ionbasa said:

Look up Crestron. 

to clarify they have had like 3 different ppl come on and try to "fix" their network. 

I dont knwo if its the crestron itself. I think its more the fact that they have like 5 different routers in all different parts of the house. and they have none of the logins so I have no idea what it is configured like what. 

got a new modem ubiquiti switch, gigabit switch, 5 ubiquit AP's , bunch of cat 6 . shit I hope I didnt forgot anything. 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w