Seeking Power Supply

ivan.cortes12

Hello everyone,

This is my first build and still have not decided on a power supply to efficiently power my rig. If anyone could suggest some because I was looking at a EVGA 80 Gold Certified 550watts. Here is the link to my pc part list. This rig will mainly be for light gaming, but mainly for the basic things for a college student. Also any advice on the parts I picked would be great. Thank you in advance and hopefully to hear some great advice. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

5 minutes ago, ivan.cortes12 said:

Hello everyone,

This is my first build and still have not decided on a power supply to efficiently power my rig. If anyone could suggest some because I was looking at a EVGA 80 Gold Certified 550watts. Here is the link to my pc part list. This rig will mainly be for light gaming, but mainly for the basic things for a college student. Also any advice on the parts I picked would be great. Thank you in advance and hopefully to hear some great advice. http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

you have to save the partslist

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

10 minutes ago, ivan.cortes12 said:

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the forums!

If you want something cheap that's still really good quality I recommend the $60 S12II from Seasonic. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Note that there are two mftrs with different ratings for EVGA Bronze PSUs. There is a B1 and a B2 version of the EVGA Bronze. The B2 is by a slightly better mftr and is rated as more dependable IIRC. It also tends to be slightly more expensive. Most think it is worth the extra $5-$10 to get the B2.

550W might be fine, if you're getting a graphics card look it up, the manufacturers site should have a minimum recommended/required psu power, you could low ball it a little if you have to, but better to have too much power available than not enough

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Sorry about that guys, the parts that I have decided on are the following:

Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core

Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB DDR4-2400

Samsun 850 EVO Series 500GB SSD

WD 1TB HDD 7200RPM

EVGA Geforce GTX 960 2GB SuperSC ACX 2.0+Video Card

NZXT Phantom 530 ATX Full Tower Case

13 hours ago, Steel_Wind said:

Note that there are two mftrs with different ratings for EVGA Bronze PSUs. There is a B1 and a B2 version of the EVGA Bronze. The B2 is by a slightly better mftr and is rated as more dependable IIRC. It also tends to be slightly more expensive. Most think it is worth the extra $5-$10 to get the B2.

So do you think its better to go with a EVGA Bronze PSU rather than a Gold Certified? I know it only matters in efficiency

12 hours ago, Cyracus said:

550W might be fine, if you're getting a graphics card look it up, the manufacturers site should have a minimum recommended/required psu power, you could low ball it a little if you have to, but better to have too much power available than not enough

Well if you have too much power wouldnt you risk frying your components or no? 

14 minutes ago, ivan.cortes12 said:

So do you think its better to go with a EVGA Bronze PSU rather than a Gold Certified? I know it only matters in efficiency

It depends on the prices and what you are willing to spend.

More often than not it's not worth it to pay the difference.

13 minutes ago, ivan.cortes12 said:

Well if you have too much power wouldnt you risk frying your components or no? 

That's not how it works.

A power supply only gives the hardware of the computer the amount of power that said hardware needs to operate.

Imagine if you buy a 1000 watt power supply, but the hardware in your computer only uses 300 watts when under maximum load. This just means that your power supply will only be "working" at 30% of it's possibilities. It would be a waste of money....

On the other hand if your pc under load needs 500 watts and you buy a 500 watt power supply, that means that your PSU will be maxed out every time you put your pc under load. Wich is obviously not good. Imagine every time you had to go somewhere on foot you could only sprint as fast as possible....

In both scenarios both you and the psu would give in to the stress at any moment.

35 minutes ago, MoraisGT said:

It depends on the prices and what you are willing to spend.

More often than not it's not worth it to pay the difference.

That's not how it works.

A power supply only gives the hardware of the computer the amount of power that said hardware needs to operate.

Imagine if you buy a 1000 watt power supply, but the hardware in your computer only uses 300 watts when under maximum load. This just means that your power supply will only be "working" at 30% of it's possibilities. It would be a waste of money....

On the other hand if your pc under load needs 500 watts and you buy a 500 watt power supply, that means that your PSU will be maxed out every time you put your pc under load. Wich is obviously not good. Imagine every time you had to go somewhere on foot you could only sprint as fast as possible....

In both scenarios both you and the psu would give in to the stress at any moment.

Thank you for the information and I understand it more now. I am willing to spend about $80 on a PSU, but I read about the differences between Bronze and Gold but I see other people's builds mainly have the 80+Bronze PSU rather than a Gold, why is that? I know it has to deal with how much you plan to spend which is a factor. 

I understand both scenarios, so it would be smart to get a PSU that is a sufficient amount of wattage that way you have room for any additional upgrades or maximum loads.

1 hour ago, ivan.cortes12 said:

Thank you for the information and I understand it more now. I am willing to spend about $80 on a PSU, but I read about the differences between Bronze and Gold but I see other people's builds mainly have the 80+Bronze PSU rather than a Gold, why is that? I know it has to deal with how much you plan to spend which is a factor. 

I understand both scenarios, so it would be smart to get a PSU that is a sufficient amount of wattage that way you have room for any additional upgrades or maximum loads.

Exactly, it's always a good idea to choose a power supply that can output more than the computer demands (to an extent obviously). PSU's generally operate at peak efficiency at around 60-80% load. (rough numbers BTW)

The difference between bronze and gold is just efficiency, so a 400W with 80% efficiency at full load would draw 500W from the wall and deliver 400W to your system. Buying a super expensive psu because it's more efficient isn't going to give you savings for a long time so not a good reason to go that route, but you do want a psu that delivers power consistently with minimal energy ripple. Linus provides good power supply picking advice, you can skip to 2:30 for the major bits and like he suggests look up reviews on whatever power supply you're considering

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

21 hours ago, MoraisGT said:

Exactly, it's always a good idea to choose a power supply that can output more than the computer demands (to an extent obviously). PSU's generally operate at peak efficiency at around 60-80% load. (rough numbers BTW)

Oh okay that makes much more sense, so if my entire rig needs (roughly) 340 and I get a 650watt PSU that will give me enough room for some upgrades, right?

6 hours ago, ivan.cortes12 said:

Oh okay that makes much more sense, so if my entire rig needs (roughly) 340 and I get a 650watt PSU that will give me enough room for some upgrades, right?

That's right ;)