AMD gets an infusion of 320 mil USD by entering a partnership with Nantong Fujitsu Microelectronics - press release

zMeul

source: http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2163253

AMD (NASDAQ: AMD) and Nantong Fujitsu Microelectronics Co., Ltd. (NFME) (SZSE: TFWD) today announced that they have closed the transaction to create a joint venture offering differentiated assembly, test, mark, and pack (ATMP) capabilities to both AMD and a broader range of customers.

"Combining AMD's world-class teams and facilities in Penang and Suzhou with NFME's expertise in the growing assembly and test market will create a new outsource assembly and test leader with the scale and capabilities to help us deliver our upcoming high-performance technologies and products that can re-shape the industry," said AMD President and CEO Dr. Lisa Su. "The creation of this joint venture marks another step in building a more focused AMD as we complete our transition to a fabless business model, enhance our supply chain operations, and further strengthen our financial position."

"AMD is a world class semiconductor provider with advanced flip chip packaging and test technologies. These capabilities are complementary with NFME's advanced packaging and test technologies, such as its flip chip and bump technology for the computing, communication and consumer market. The establishment of this joint venture will elevate the competitiveness of NFME's flip chip packaging and test technologies to a world-class level. With this joint venture, NFME's advanced packaging and test capabilities will account for 70 percent of its total revenue, leading the entire industry and ranking among the top packaging and test companies in the world," said Chairman of Nantong Fujitsu Mr. Shi Mingda.

AMD's has just sold 85% of their China operations (Penang, Malaysia and Suzhou) for 371 mil USD, after taxes they got around 320 mil USD in cash

AMD's share price might jump again after this latest deal, but  if AMD has to sell assets to stay in business .. that ain't good - they're not making a profit from product sales

1700 of AMD's employees will get transferred to the new joint venture

I can't find anything recent about Nantong Fujitsu Microelectronics Co., Ltd.

the semiconductor packaging and testing factory opened in 1997 with Fujitsu controlling 39%; it had only two clients at that time: Siemens and Fujitsu

in 2007, Fujitsu still had 3 of the 11 member board chairs, 4 were chinese and last 4 were independent directors

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

This is the second time you make a thread about the same topic, with the same flawed argumentation.

REPOST:

This is still a very good call by AMD, thus outsourcing the testing of chips, since they are fabless anyways. Sharing that cost is a good thing as it makes AMD less open to big rises and falls in chip production/sales.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

As long as part of the deal is that AMD gets priority access to the test facility when they need it, then I'm all for it. I was never really a big fan of their plan to go Fabless, but it happened. Once they spun off GloFo in 2009, there was pretty much no going back.

So, since their committed to going Fabless anyway, at least they're making the best of it and making good partnerships and deals.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

-

1st you sell a kidney, no big deal .. you have one left

next you're going to sell fingers .. until you can't hold a spoon in your hands

59 minutes ago, zMeul said:

This deal is only positive for AMD. And you still doesnt get it, 6 months after you made your first retarded and misinforming argument.

18 minutes ago, Prysin said:

This deal is only positive for AMD. And you still doesnt get it, 6 months after you made your first retarded and misinforming argument.

It is not about him "getting" it. He actively avoids "getting" the point.

We all know his agenda.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

But AMD isn't selling AGAIN. This is the confirmation of the deal that you wrote a scathing report on last October. The only thing that is new about this news is that the move has been confirmed.

So AMD have got about 700 million in cash from this deal and the licensing deal announced last week?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

AMD related news written by zmeul should be banned from News Sections

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Ban for abusive commercial propaganda. This guy is probably on some Nvidia payroll.

Doubt he is on anyones payroll. This is all his own interest.

Nvidia could quickly find someone more qualified to spew BS against the competition

I'd like to get an infusion of money :3

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

9 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

I'd like to get an infusion of money :3

Me too. If trends goes bad, I might have to sell a kidney to fund my 'Black Desert Online' habits.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero