Mac for video editing you know whats bull****

Lil Chillbil

The fact that imovie is better than Windows movie maker made lots of people think mac are better than pc on editing 

Or maybe the fact, that until Apple released FCPX, Final Cut was one of the most used editing suites in the whole industry and is still very popular? Certainly not that ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Don't know exactly how powerful it is haven't looked into it much so don't know if ITX could compete form factor wise personally I've never cared for form factor 

It's the same extreme price for pretty good performance. Crossfire workstation cards, etc.

But it's a workstation. It's going to be expensive.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

@MrSuperb I challenge you

200mhz processor difference is neglegable for the $400 price difference

Pc http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230672&name=Laptops-Notebooks $2,269

Mac (same specs) http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD103LL/A? $2,599.00

now for the desktop

Pc 

mac http://store.apple.com/us/configure/MD770LL/A?

This can be attributed to different things:

1) higher the CPU clock speed, the more expensive the chips is. Then Apple adds a few to make profit.

2) Apple gets "binned" components. Apparently this doesn't mean anything when you're not overclocking, but it's still a rumor going around for ages.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

show me 

a graphics card for thunderbolt

a raid config for thunderbolt

a network card for thunderbolt

a usb card for thunderbolt

Then compare the prices to pci-e 

RAID config is done through Mac OS X called Raid Utility. It's how you set up the LaCie enclosures.

Graphics card through Thunderbolt can be done. Problem is, no one has an enclosure big enough for a gaming graphics card. You can fit a workstation card if it's a single bracket one.

Network card can be Ethernet to Thunderbolt adapters or Thunderbolt cable from the Airport Express / Time Capsule

There are thunderbolt boxes that have DVD/BR, USB, headphones, etc.

Or maybe the fact, that until Apple released FCPX, Final Cut was one of the most used editing suites in the whole industry and is still very popular? Certainly not that ...

Look at his sig, he owns a mac and would be butt hurt to admit that macs are inferior in many ways to pc's including visual arts! 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

FCPX is not a pro grade editor unlike FCP7, clearly Apple is abandoning pro grade platform. Lots of professional stop using Apple product years ago

Look at his sig, he owns a mac and would be butt hurt to admit that macs are inferior in many ways to pc's including visual arts! 

At my signature? You'd also see, that I have a self built pc and both of them run Windows 8 and OS X. I also have two brand new working pcs from Dell with Windows 7. I largely criticize Apple for many things that I think they are doing wrong. But you are just a troll crying out shit for no reason.

You didn't bring one single argument to the table why Macs are the inferior editing machines.

FCPX is not a pro grade editor unlike FCP7, clearly Apple is abandoning pro grade platform. Lots of professional stop using Apple product years ago

And many still use FCP7 and also a lot of professionals (as in they make money by doing what they are doing) actually now use FCPX after a lots of updates.

At my signature? You'd also see, that I have a self built pc and both of them run Windows 8 and OS X. I also have two brand new working pcs from Dell with Windows 7. I largely criticize Apple for many things that I think they are doing wrong. But you are just a troll crying out shit for no reason.

You didn't bring one single argument to the table why Macs are the inferior editing machines.

And many still use FCP7 and also a lot of professionals (as in they make money by doing what they are doing) actually now use FCPX after a lots of updates.

I am no troll, you are ignoring the fact's that pc's are far superior and can do what a mac can and more because of hackintoshing. You also seem to claim that final cut pro x is a good solid editor when in reality its a little bit better than imovie and is not even in the same ballpark as premiere  

#KilledMyWife 

I am no troll, you are ignoring the fact's that pc's are far superior and can do what a mac can and more because of hackintoshing. You also seem to claim that final cut pro x is a good solid editor when in reality its a little bit better than imovie and is not even in the same ballpark as premiere  

HOW are they far superior? Get some solid arguments on the table!

Yeah those using FPC7/FCPX professionally are just idiots, because they make money using that software ...

HOW are they far superior? Get some solid arguments on the table!

Yeah those using FPC7/FCPX professionally are just idiots, because they make money using that software ...

EXPANDABILITY they require their own special ram and only certain gpu's but pc's can run any ole mix of hardware

LIFESPAN I can run windows 8 on a Pentium 4 from 2005 and it'll run, it'll lag but it WILL work. Try running 10.8 on a  2006 mac pro and it just won't install

Compatibility, I can take a drive from a pc and access 75% of the worlds computers will be able to read it without wanting to reformat it. 

Gaming pc just IS gaming at its best and for those who say "the mac pro can game too" well I don't want to have to spend $3000 to be gaming on xeon's and quadro's when a i5 and a 770 runs it just the same. 

And as for video editing, There are a lot more plugins for premiere than there are for final cut so that it can handle newer codec's and formats. 

Finally to put the final nail in the coffin SLI is on pc and not on mac 

#KilledMyWife 

EXPANDABILITY they require their own special ram and only certain gpu's but pc's can run any ole mix of hardware

LIFESPAN I can run windows 8 on a Pentium 4 from 2005 and it'll run, it'll lag but it WILL work. Try running 10.8 on a  2006 mac pro and it just won't install

Compatibility, I can take a drive from a pc and access 75% of the worlds computers will be able to read it without wanting to reformat it. 

Gaming pc just IS gaming at its best and for those who say "the mac pro can game too" well I don't want to have to spend $3000 to be gaming on xeon's and quadro's when a i5 and a 770 runs it just the same. 

And as for video editing, There are a lot more plugins for premiere than there are for final cut so that it can handle newer codec's and formats. 

there is again a lot of false information. I will go to bed now, but I might answer you tomorrow...

Mac Pros are leased or BTO for a reason. Most people with workstation performance aren't going to change their computer. Regardless if it's a PC or Mac

That's because 2006 Mac Pros are 32 Bit CPUs. Mac OS X is 64 bit now. That's why.

I'll give you the storage one because without software, you can't write to a NTFS. 

Mac Pro can't game because workstation GPUs are shit for games. Which is why you don't buy workstation GPUs for games.

Mac Pro 2013 has crossfire AMD workstation GPUs.

Mac Pros are leased or BTO for a reason. Most people with workstation performance aren't going to change their computer. Regardless if it's a PC or Mac

That's because 2006 Mac Pros are 32 Bit CPUs. Mac OS X is 64 bit now. That's why.

I'll give you the storage one because without software, you can't write to a NTFS. 

Mac Pro can't game because workstation GPUs are shit for games. Which is why you don't buy workstation GPUs for games.

Mac Pro 2013 has crossfire AMD workstation GPUs.

In case you guys didn't notice is that apple doesn't care about the professional, they haven't since Steve died and they because a laptop and phone company. 

#KilledMyWife 

There is not 1 mac today editing 4k 

I can show you 4-500 macs editing 4k.

Not to be rude but it's hard to argue this topic with a kid that has limited knowledge when it comes to the "professional" work flow and the "industry" - You seem to repeat what is said on the internet and what others say but really don't give any solid information as to why pc > mac. I'm a full blown PC guy. The mac pro can edit 4k no problem with 20/gbps transfers. 

It really falls down to personal preference. I would say they are on par with each other when it comes handling what they need to do.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

In case you guys didn't notice is that apple doesn't care about the professional, they haven't since Steve died and they because a laptop and phone company. 

Oh no, a company focusing more on the parts that make them money!

I can show you 4-500 macs editing 4k.

Not to be rude but it's hard to argue this topic with a kid that has limited knowledge when it comes to the "professional" work flow and the "industry" - You seem to repeat what is said on the internet and what others say but really don't give any solid information as to why pc > mac. I'm a full blown PC guy. The mac pro can edit 4k no problem with 20/gbps transfers. 

It really falls down to personal preference. I would say they are on par with each other when it comes handling what they need to do.

Oh no, a company focusing more on the parts that make them money!

I am an idiot and I will stop while I still have a shred of dignity to not continue down this road. 

Mac=pc with a different case and a better os 

End of story 

#KilledMyWife 

By professional I mean TV station not indy filmmaker, if you can make money by doing something doesn't mean you'er a professional  

@Botasky

Oh that is exactly what make someone makes a professional video editor.

And I didn't mean indy filmmakers only.

Many features that were missing when FCPX orginally launched in 2011 and were the reason for the outrage of some people (like the missing multicam) have been added to FCPX through updates.

And Apple not caring about professionals? Seriously? Why would they then extremly push OpenCL then? Why would they bring an OpenCL monster (aka Mac Pro 2013)? Why would they implement some of the best screens (not only resolution but also color accuracy etc.) you can find in their laptops?

@Botasky

Oh that is exactly what make someone makes a professional video editor.

And I didn't mean indy filmmakers only.

Many features that were missing when FCPX orginally launched in 2011 and were the reason for the outrage of some people (like the missing multicam) have been added to FCPX through updates.

And Apple not caring about professionals? Seriously? Why would they then extremly push OpenCL then? Why would they bring an OpenCL monster (aka Mac Pro 2013)? Why would they implement some of the best screens (not only resolution but also color accuracy etc.) you can find in their laptops?

Are you a professional video editor or a media professional?   

The final cut argument is becoming moot. The new final cut pro X has been the bane of a lot of FCP users, they removed a lot of features. iMovie is cool but obviously not used by pro's. Everyone is switching to Adobe, because it's a complete package. just my $0.02

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I can't find the video but some guy compared 2 same spec laptops. One was a lenovo and one was a Macbook pro. Using Adobe Premier running a 1080p video with lots of filters, the Lenovo wiped it's ass with the MAC. The real time previews were smooth on the PC but choppy on the mac and the final rendering times were significantly less. The mac was much more expensive too, but it looked prettier, that's it.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I can't find the video but some guy compared 2 same spec laptops. One was a lenovo and one was a Macbook pro. Using Adobe Premier running a 1080p video with lots of filters, the Lenovo wiped it's ass with the MAC. The real time previews were smooth on the PC but choppy on the mac and the final rendering times were significantly less. The mac was much more expensive too, but it looked prettier, that's it.

I remember that video, I recently took a trip down memory lane and in conclusion. I really wouldn't be who I am today without macs, I wouldn't of found imovie and the isight and therefor wouldn't of made my youtube account. wouldn't of kept at it. And wouldn't of been inspired to save up to the setup I have today 

#KilledMyWife 

I remember that video, I recently took a trip down memory lane and in conclusion. I really wouldn't be who I am today without macs, I wouldn't of found imovie and the isight and therefor wouldn't of made my youtube account. wouldn't of kept at it. And wouldn't of been inspired to save up to the setup I have today 

I have a youtube channel, but it's been inactive for about a year for the most part. I used Sony Vegas Movie studio HD platinum to record gameplay videos :) Loved doing that.

Hail Sithis!