can i turn a old shitty laptop into a server for hosting websites?

today i got a old laptop its a core 2 duo with a 300 some gig HDD. i was thinking if i did try to set up my own server id use this because i read its safer to use something you have none of your own personal data on. so can this be used as a server some how? im just looking into the future to when my hosting is up.

7 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

today i got a old laptop its a core 2 duo with a 300 some gig HDD. i was thinking if i did try to set up my own server id use this because i read its safer to use something you have none of your own personal data on. so can this be used as a server some how? im just looking into the future to when my hosting is up.

Why not?

Just put ubuntu or your favorite linux distro on it and boom personal server. With backup power, which is nice.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

Hey,

I actually am starting up a blog about turning old PCs and laptops into servers. And to answer your question, absolutely! An Intel Core 2 Duo will be just fine for hosting a web server and the CPU will probably sit around 10-25% with Ubuntu Server usage even when accessed by many different locations. Here are the instructions to get the server up & running!

1.  Use my tutorial or this one to install Ubuntu Server 15.10 on your laptop
  2.  Use this tutorial to install Webmin on the server to better manage it.
  3.  Use this tutorial to install the web server. (Apache2, PHP5, MySQL, etc)
  4.  Then you can configure the server and access to it on Webmin!
  5.  Finally, use this so that the server will run even when the laptop's lid is closed.

Have fun! Feel free to contact me if you need any help, because I love this stuff :P

I'm a blogger, student, and developer. I love re-purposing old hardware such as PCs, routers, and phones. 

9 minutes ago, Ben Potter said:

Hey,

I actually am starting up a blog about turning old PCs and laptops into servers. And to answer your question, absolutely! An Intel Core 2 Duo will be just fine for hosting a web server and the CPU will probably sit around 10-25% with Ubuntu Server usage even when accessed by many different locations. Here are the instructions to get the server up & running!

5.  Finally, use this so that the server will run even when the laptop's lid is closed.

Have fun! Feel free to contact me if you need any help, because I love this stuff :P

i'll look into this, this weekend. i've never used linux so i'll have to look into that too.

22 minutes ago, Ben Potter said:

Hey,

I fucking love people who spend their time to write tutorials. Keep up the good work!

53 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

I'd recommend stress testing an old laptop before setting it up for that purpose, if you're expecting any traffic.

Also be sure to test the HDD extensively, don't let your plans end in tears!

4 minutes ago, icey said:

I'd recommend stress testing an old laptop before setting it up for that purpose, if you're expecting any traffic.

Also be sure to test the HDD extensively, don't let your plans end in tears!

I have a left over HDD I can throw in it if the one it has dies. And I know for a face my site won't get much traffic xD well I guess unless I advertise it.

16 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

I have a left over HDD I can throw in it if the one it has dies. And I know for a face my site won't get much traffic xD well I guess unless I advertise it.

Haha well then yeah by all means, if it doesn't need to be reliable and down time won't cost you anything go hard!!

On 4/13/2016 at 10:58 PM, Ben Potter said:

Hey,

im going to be trying to set it up now. its installing ubuntu as i type this