Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cantaloupeman

Best all around headphones for an infinite budget

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Just out of curiosity what would be the best all around headphones with an infinite budget? Also what about for gaming. I'm assuming hd800 but I may be wrong. Feel free to chip in with your opinions. Just thought this would be for a bit of fun, just pretending I am rich :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2016 at 10:49 AM, Cantaloupeman said:

Just out of curiosity what would be the best all around headphones with an infinite budget? Also what about for gaming. I'm assuming hd800 but I may be wrong. Feel free to chip in with your opinions. Just thought this would be for a bit of fun, just pretending I am rich :) 

For $300AUD get the Logtiech Artemis G933. 7.1 Surround sound and a amazing mic! THEY ARE REALLY GOOD!


Main Rig

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 (4.2Ghz) | RAM: TeamDark DDR3 16GB 1600Mhz | GPU: XFX RX480 8GB OC (1337Mhz) | PSU: CoolerMaster CM Storm 600W | MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 3 | CASE: Phanteks P400s TG Black/White | STORAGE: 128GB Samsung SSD + 2x2TB Samsung 7200RPM HDD | SCREEN: LG 25UM58-P 25" IPS 21:9 Ultrawide 2560x1080p + 2 x Dell 16:10 Non-IPS 1440x900p | AUDIO: Logitech G430 + Shure SM58 + Focusrite Solo | Keyboard: CoolerMaster MK750 | Mouse: G.Skill MX750 |

 

Laptop

CPU: Intel Core i7 7500U 3.5Ghz | RAM: 8GB DDR4 | GPU: Radeon R7 M445 4GB | SCREEN: 1920x1080 15.6" Non-IPS

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no such thing as a "best" headphone.

 

Personal preferences are a major reason; the other is that there isn't a headphone in existence that doesn't have some flaw or other.

 

The HD800 has hi-fi resolution but lo-fi frequency response, for example.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sennheiser Orpheus


CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : Gloway 2400Mhz 8GB CL16 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SSL said:

There's no such thing as a "best" headphone.

 

Personal preferences are a major reason; the other is that there isn't a headphone in existence that doesn't have some flaw or other.

 

The HD800 has hi-fi resolution but lo-fi frequency response, for example.

After watching his review, I think Tyll might think the MrSpeakers Ether C's are a contender for "best" headphone. He was seriously loving on 'em.

Link to post
Share on other sites

LCD 3 are pretty good.


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than maybe the EL-8s, all of Audeze's headphones are just too heavy, at least for me. If I can't wear a pair of headphones for several hours, they are no good to me.:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

Other than maybe the EL-8s, all of Audeze's headphones are just too heavy, at least for me. If I can't wear a pair of headphones for several hours, they are no good to me.:)

Every time I look at the spec sheet of the LCD-X, I cannot help but just drop my jaw at the 600+ grams.  How do people even wear it for more than 10 minutes?


AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pomfinator said:

Every time I look at the spec sheet of the LCD-X, I cannot help but just drop my jaw at the 600+ grams.  How do people even wear it for more than 10 minutes?

Exactly. If it wasn't for that, there's a strong possibility I would already own a pair.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

Exactly. If it wasn't for that, there's a strong possibility I would already own a pair.

If only the Ether's weren't $1500.  I wanna dip my feet into the planar waters but not sure if I should cheap out and go the Hifiman route or just YOLO and get something crazy like the Ethers.


AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

If only the Ether's weren't $1500.  I wanna dip my feet into the planar waters but not sure if I should cheap out and go the Hifiman route or just YOLO and get something crazy like the Ethers.

If you're going to start using terms like Yolo, I have a nice pair of M50x's you might be interested in.:P

 

I've really been considering the Ethers, but I'm hung up on whether to go with open or closed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really enjoy my HD800, but i do admit that something like the lcd 2 or 3, that are warmer sounding, is something a lot of more main streaming people enjoy. I brought my hd800 to school and did a comparison with a mate who owned a pair of lcd2 and most of my friends preferred the lcd2, mainly due to it having more kick and more body in the bass. On the other hand, comfort and soundstage wise, the hd800 were favoured. Also the  HD800 do have a bit to much energy in the upper treble as well, it doesnt bother me to much though, as I use a warm sounding amp, as well as a eq to tame some of the treble peaks. (mine have a tiny peak at 6k and a small peak at 10k)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kenna said:

(mine have a tiny peak at 6k and a small peak at 10k)

 

They all do. And it's more than tiny.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tesla T1 goes good with anything imo, used price is great too

 

 


// irenebb-pc v4 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] RTX 2060 Super [] 16GB Crucial Ballistix [] Samsung U28D590 (4K) []

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the HE 560 as a really good all around headphones.


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, seduce_me said:

Stax SR-009...?

bro they cost 4900$ atleast they do in Denmark and then you also need a amp that you can plug them into so you will end up with 5500-6000$


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

bro they cost 4900$ atleast they do in Denmark and then you also need a amp that you can plug them into so you will end up with 5500-6000$

I know nothing about those headphones, but "infinite budget" is in the title.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JoeyDM said:

I know nothing about those headphones, but "infinite budget" is in the title.

I just looked up how much a amp in Denmark cost for them you will have to pay 1600$ for the amp and only the amp. But yeah infinite budget...........


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

Tesla T1 goes good with anything imo, used price is great too

 

 

I have heard bad things about them.


n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, spwath said:

I have heard bad things about them.

do u live under a rock 

 

Literally SSL is the only person I've seen give them a bad review. They are deeply loved in the community, and many people including I prefer it over the HD800. They used to be overpriced, but the first version dropped in price a lot :D

 

Although, some people say there is a treble spike. Anyways, here's a poll that shows there popularity http://www.head-fi.org/t/624061/please-vote-audeze-lcd-2-vs-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-sennheiser-hd-800-vs-audeze-lcd-3/165 (don't draw any conclusions from a poll though, find the sound sig you like)


// irenebb-pc v4 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] RTX 2060 Super [] 16GB Crucial Ballistix [] Samsung U28D590 (4K) []

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

do u live under a rock 

 

Literally SSL is the only person I've seen give them a bad review. They are deeply loved in the community, and many people including I prefer it over the HD800. They used to be overpriced, but the first version dropped in price a lot :D

 

Although, some people say there is a treble spike. Anyways, here's a poll that shows there popularity http://www.head-fi.org/t/624061/please-vote-audeze-lcd-2-vs-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-sennheiser-hd-800-vs-audeze-lcd-3/165 (don't draw any conclusions from a poll though, find the sound sig you like)

He is not the only one. I ones tried them for about 2 hours and when I put them on I felt like okay the sound is okay, not the signature I love the most. I thought they were about 400-500$ in price maybe 600-700$ when I heard them, keep in mind I dont go that much up in build since it's how they sound that are most important for this kind of headphones for me atleast. I heard the spike they had in the highs and I thought okay, this is not something that should be on high end headphones, I like headphones with treble that can be a bit harsh for some people, so I did not mind it that much. When one guy then told me that they cost 1700$ (danish price in US dollar) I just thought WTF, because I did not think that they should cost that much, they did not even give me that feeling when you get goose bumps because the music is so good, those are some of the first higher end headphones that did nothing like that for me and I think that headphones should do that before you buy them, right after I tried that HE 400i and 560 and they both gave me goose bumps, just like my K612 did the first time I heard them, so I waited for the HE400i (640$) to come on sale because I didnt want to spend that much money on headphones, they went on sale and I bought them and when I finally got them they where the old version so to make a long story short I paid 400€ for the 400i the seller could not give give me the new one so I got an offer on the 560 where I only had to pay 99€ more and get the 560 and RE400i instead of the 400i.


Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

do u live under a rock 

 

Literally SSL is the only person I've seen give them a bad review. They are deeply loved in the community, and many people including I prefer it over the HD800. They used to be overpriced, but the first version dropped in price a lot :D

 

Although, some people say there is a treble spike. Anyways, here's a poll that shows there popularity http://www.head-fi.org/t/624061/please-vote-audeze-lcd-2-vs-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-sennheiser-hd-800-vs-audeze-lcd-3/165 (don't draw any conclusions from a poll though, find the sound sig you like)

Headfi loves them.

From what i have seen, superBAF is less thrilled with the t1's, and the innerfidelity measurements don't look too good for the price.


n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×