Running a server in sub-zero temps

Aivaras

I am running my server in a loft. House is isolated not from the roof, but from the floors of the loft, so loft pretty much gets as cold as the outside. What would be dangerous temperatures? 

Yes, I am aware how to make a screenshot, just did not wanted to move a thing and get the lowest idle temps I could. 

As you can see, I am running Q6600 at 3GHz (FSB to 1333) with no other options changed.

BTW, it's really interesting that CPU temperatures pretty much matches ambient temperature with no load. It's -3C. Also it's been running for two days with no problems whatsoever. 

WP_20160228_07_54_35_Raw.jpg

those extreme overclocking competition people use liquid nitrogen i think that temp is fine xD

"Television brainwashing the youth"

"Politicians won't tell us the truth"

Well, i would like to mention that where I live temperature could go from -30C to +30C over the year. :) 

Just now, Aivaras said:

Well, i would like to mention that where I live temperature could go from -30C to +30C over the year. :) 

Wow, where the heck does the temperature change that much? Also those temps are fine and it won't cause any harm or anything liek that.

1 minute ago, Aivaras said:

The main issues with sub-ambient is condensation forming on components and damaging the boards or components, if it's in an attic type loft where it's above the insulated ceiling I would not put it there, in the summer it can get +60C on hot summer days of an attics of homes. 

32 minutes ago, Aivaras said:

Don't do it.

Electrical components will wear very quickly in a constantly changing environment.

Please also note that most hard drives have an operating range. You could risk data loss once the temperature of those drives fall out of range. Here's a quote from Seagate:

"The operating temperature range for most Seagate hard drives is 5 to 50 degrees Celsius. A normal PC case should provide adequate cooling."

Source: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/193771en?language=en_US

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

2 hours ago, Blucyrik said:

Please also note that most hard drives have an operating range. You could risk data loss once the temperature of those drives fall out of range. Here's a quote from Seagate:

"The operating temperature range for most Seagate hard drives is 5 to 50 degrees Celsius. A normal PC case should provide adequate cooling."

Source: http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/193771en?language=en_US

Once it's working, temperature is in the range... so it should be OK. 

4 hours ago, Aivaras said:

Once it's working, temperature is in the range... so it should be OK. 

Yeah, you're HDD's are fine, for the rest of the system your fine also. What you will want to make sure is that there is not issue with condensation.

7 hours ago, Blake said:

Yeah, you're HDD's are fine, for the rest of the system your fine also. What you will want to make sure is that there is not issue with condensation.

I humidity is less than 30% so I think I should be OK, right?