Change Battery Drain Order? (Multiple Battery System)

GodSpoon

I've got a Lenovo T410s for my girlfriend (She writes a lot and she loves the Lenovo keyboard haha)

I have an ultra bay battery along with the standard 6 cell that you cannot upgrade, and I noticed by default windows drains the 3 cell Ultrabay battery 

I feel like its gonna wreck it if it constantly is completely discharging the little guy before even touching the big battery 

Anyone know of a utility to change the drain order? Maybe a bios modification or a way to make them drain in parallel even?

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

I feel like your profile picture violates COC

Wow really informative reply, I appreciate the help! 

Just now, Stupidtiggers said:

Wow really informative reply, I appreciate the help! 

well... he's not wrong.

on topic: battery drain order is decided in hardware, rather than software.

so either get soldering, or learn to live with it.

no you cannot change how the batteries drain because if its plugged into the power port then it will always drain first

this is because you dont want your laptop battery being wasted when youre plugged into the wall

there is no way to change this in software, it is all hardware coded in the battery switching circuit in your laptop

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well... he's not wrong.

on topic: battery drain order is decided in hardware, rather than software.

so either get soldering, or learn to live with it.

*sigh* Ight I changed it back since its apparently a problem lol

Ah well I assumed that it was decided by the ACPI which is why I mentioned the bios modification 

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

no you cannot change how the batteries drain because if its plugged into the power port then it will always drain first

this is because you dont want your laptop battery being wasted when youre plugged into the wall

there is no way to change this in software, it is all hardware coded in the battery switching circuit in your laptop

Ah, so its not handled by the ACPI or SMC like on a mac?

2 minutes ago, Stupidtiggers said:

Ah, so its not handled by the ACPI or SMC like on a mac?

no, you cant control what drains first, power plug is always first

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

no, you cant control what drains first, power plug is always first

Well power plug aside, I thought the internal battery circuit for multiple batteries was a bit different, I assumed there was a controller 

6 minutes ago, Stupidtiggers said:

Well power plug aside, I thought the internal battery circuit for multiple batteries was a bit different, I assumed there was a controller 

no there is no way of external battery packs communicating with your laptop, its just a power plug and thats all

the controller is inside the laptop and prioritizes the power plug over the internal battery

an external battery is no different than a charger to it

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, Enderman said:

no there is no way of external battery packs communicating with your laptop, its just a power plug and thats all

the controller is inside the laptop and prioritizes the power plug over the internal battery

an external battery is no different than a charger to it

Did you read the post..? its another internal battery hahaha

Both are connected via internal terminals 

Spoiler

mTEfajKhi4p1FAlCOuWxsNQ.jpg

Slides into the disc bay

There is a controller that prioritizes the disc bay battery over the standard battery 

In newer systems you can change the order in the bios since its controlled by ACPI protocol 

I was asking if anyone had a similar solution for an older machine like this, either a tool or bios modification since its controlled by ACPI not APM like bios toggles