Overclocking the $30,000 7 Gamers 1 CPU PC

nicklmg

How do some moderate overclocks impact the performance of the 7 gamers PC?

Parts List

Kingston 32GB DDR4 ECC RAM (x8)
Amazon: http://geni.us/3N2B

Kingston KC400 1TB Business SSD (x8)
Amazon: http://geni.us/3c6w

Lime Technology unRAID Server Pro Software
Manufacturer Link: http://lime-technology.com/

Caselabs Mercury S8
Amazon: n/a
Manufacturer Direct: http://bit.ly/1P8UvW3

Acer Predator X34 21:9 Gaming Monitor (x7)
Amazon: http://geni.us/32xr

Intel Xeon E5 2697 V3 (x2)
Amazon: http://geni.us/1nya

ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS
Amazon: http://geni.us/wov

AMD R9 Nano (x7)
Amazon: http://geni.us/Ubr

EVGA T2 1600W
Amazon: http://geni.us/3ad1

Cablemod Custom Cables for PSU
Manufacturer Link: http://bit.ly/1NYnrCz

Water Cooling Parts
CPU blocks - EK Supremacy Evo
Radiators - EK Coolstream XE 360
GPU Blocks - EK R9 Nano
GPU Connector - Custom 7-way version of FC Terminal
Pump/Reservoir - EK Xres 140
Fittings - EK Advanced Compression Fittings
Tubing - Primochill Primoflex Black/Orange

May someone explain the logic behind 7 Gamers 1 CPU? 

The budget for this system was 30,000. Giving each game $4000, all of those gamer could have built a separate rig that would have outperformed this system. So I don't understand the reasoning here: @LinusTech

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

Well if Linus was at it, my guess would be horrible to start and then less badly the more he got the hair model to help.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

9 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

The budget for this system was 30,000. Giving each game $4000, all of those gamer could have built a separate rig that would have outperformed this system. So I don't understand the reasoning here: @LinusTech

the logic is more like; balls to the walls in a relatively small form factor

without money in the back of your head

to game or not to game, that`s the question

22 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

I don't think this is supposed to be a logical setup. More like a really cool idea that nobody has done before. Also, what would be the point of the video if they just built 7 identical systems and then had a LAN party? Anyone can build 7 systems and have a LAN party. Not everyone can build the computer in this series of videos (custom 7-way waterblock connector).

MAIN RIG: Dell Precision T5500 -CPU: Intel Xeon W5580 (4c,8t@ 3.2ghz,turbo 3.46) -MOTHERBOARD: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -RAM: 16gb ECC DDR3 FBDIMM (Hynix) -GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770  OC WINDFORCE X3 -Case: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -STORAGE: 240gb ADATA Premier SP550 (OS, Programs), 2x 500GB WD Caviar WD5000AAKS (Games, Files) (RAID 0) -PSU: Dell Precision T5500 OEM (875w) -DISPLAY(S): Primary: Acer AL2016w (1680x1050), Left and Right: Gateway FPD1976W (1440x900), Extra displays around the room: 42" Vizio TV (1920x1080) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5500 OEM -KEYBOARD: Logitech G710+ -MOUSE: Logitech G502 Proteus Core -SOUND: Logitech x320 and Razer Electras -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

LAPTOP: Dell Precision M6500 -CPU: Intel Core i7 920xm (4c,8t@2.0ghz,turbo 3.2ghz) -RAM: 12gb DDR3 -GPU: ATi Firepro M7820 -STORAGE: 240gb ADATA Premier SP550 (OS, Programs), 500GB Seagate STL500LM000 SSHD (Games, Files) -DISPLAY: 1920x1200 17.3” -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

SECONDARY RIG: -CPU: 2x Intel Xeon x5450 (4c, 4t ea., 8c, 8t @3ghz total) -MOTHERBOARD: Corvalent BDPEX -RAM: 14GB ECC DDR2 (Mix Match of Brands) -GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 -CASE: No Case (Everything is mounted on the wall in my closet) -STORAGE: 160GB WD Caviar SE WD1600AAJS (OS, Programs, Files) -PSU: 450w BFG -DISPLAY: Samsung UN22D5000 (1920X1080) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5400 Heatsinks and some random fans -KEYBOARD: Logitech G105 -MOUSE: Logitech M215 Wireless Mouse -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7 Professional x64

NAS: -CPU: Intel Pentium e2180 (2c, 2t@2ghz) -MOTHERBOARD: HP Compaq DC5800 OEM -RAM: 2GB DDR2 (Unsure of Brand) -CASE: No Case (Everything is mounted on the wall in my closet) -STORAGE: 500GB HGST (Backup) -PSU: HP Compaq DC5800 OEM (300w) -DISPLAY: Samsung UN22D5000 (1920X1080) -COOLING: Cooler Master Hyper 101a (Zip Tied) and some random fans -OPERATING SYSTEM: FreeNAS 9.10 (Running From USB Flash Drive)

FOLDING RIG: Dell Precision T5400 -CPU: 2x Intel Xeon X5450 (4c, 4t ea., 8c, 8t @3ghz total) -MOTHERBOARD: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -RAM: 32gb ECC DDR2 (Hynix) -GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 -CASE: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -STORAGE: 250gb WD 250ABYS (OS, Programs, Files) -PSU: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -DISPLAY: Dell 1707FP (1280x1024) -COOLING: Dell Precision T5400 OEM -OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro x64

PHONE: iPhone 7 32GB Matte Black (Sprint)

28 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

To use Linus-isms...

"Because we can"

Does this PC make sense? Heck no. Is it cool? 2.7 million people thought so, and we did too!

"Do as we say, not as we do"

We would NEVER, EVER recommend this as a "sensible" build if you want to do a 7-PC LAN setup... It's not supposed to provide the best price/performance, it's supposed to be a spectacle, it's supposed to be cool, and it's supposed to be something that most people can't do (and shouldn't do).

There is no logic. It's just fun :D

4 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

To use Linus-isms...

"Because we can"

Does this PC make sense? Heck no. Is it cool? 2.7 million people thought so, and we did too!

We would NEVER, EVER recommend this as a "sensible" build if you want to do a 7-PC LAN setup... It's not supposed to provide the best price/performance, it's supposed to be a spectacle, it's supposed to be cool, and it's supposed to be something that most people can't do (and shouldn't do).

FUN > logic B|

EDIT: sadly only if the budget allow it :P 

37 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

To use Linus-isms...

"Because we can"

Who's idea was this? Kingston?

- Albert Einstein

Just now, LittleCarrot said:

Who's idea was this? Kingston?

Uhh. No... it was definitely Linus'.

Sponsors don't come up with our video ideas, our team does.

Just now, nicklmg said:

Uhh. No... it was definitely Linus'.

Sponsors don't come up with our video ideas, our team does.

Did LMG pay for any of the stuff shown or was it all sponsored?

- Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, LittleCarrot said:

Did LMG pay for any of the stuff shown or was it all sponsored?

I'm not sure as I wasn't the one sourcing parts. As with most of our builds, I'm sure most of the parts were provided by the brands themselves. We're very up front about that.

10 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

I'm not sure as I wasn't the one sourcing parts. As with most of our builds, I'm sure most of the parts were provided by the brands themselves. We're very up front about that.

Thanks for all of this. Should we expect another video with this computer, a taredown video would be pretty nice to see with a computer of that size.

- Albert Einstein

8 minutes ago, LittleCarrot said:

Thanks for all of this. Should we expect another video with this computer, a taredown video would be pretty nice to see with a computer of that size.

You can check out the teardown on Vessel right now (if you have it). Just went up.

Just now, nicklmg said:

You can check out the teardown on Vessel right now (if you have it). Just went up.

I was just about to check if the Vessel video was up aha!

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

OMG. I predicted a video...

- Albert Einstein

The Vessel upload is suuuuper broken. Audio is random bits from intro music played randomly and everything else has no audio.

Great video ^_^

is any chance we see Eyefinity x3 vs Eyefinity x3 vs Eyefinity x1? 9_9

and a Eyefinity x5 vs Eyefinity x1 vs Eyefinity x1 ? :ph34r:

Now we need 1 gamer 7 GPU's.

No VM's, pure performance.

All 28 cores, 256 GB RAM, 7 GPU's on 1 windows install then play 4K.

To bad the machine was dissasembled.

PC1: i7-6850K, X99A godlike gaming carbon, 1080 ROG strix a8g, 4x8GB fury black, 120GB 840 evo, 3TB seagate, 5TB ext

PC2: HP Pavillion G6 i7-3612QM, AMD 7670M 1GB, 2x4GB sodimm, 250GB 850 evo & 750GB Hitachi HDD

PC3: Raspberry PI2

Phone: Galaxy S5 (G900F)

Watch: Galaxy gear (V700)

Tablet: Samsung Tab E 9.6 (SM-T 500)

1 hour ago, nbagf said:

The Vessel upload is suuuuper broken. Audio is random bits from intro music played randomly and everything else has no audio.

Yeah we're fixing... Zzz long videos are a pain sometimes :P

When I started watching I was saying to myself, how the hell is he expecting the water cooling loop in that system to handle higher Voltage and thus higher heat output from 7 OC'ed cards.

Then I noticed Linus never touched the voltages :P

Good video, but no surprise on the results.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

if you're going to be mean, just skip this.

I'm going to try to be insightful at the expense of being boring, which tends to provoke mean-ness on the internetz, so you can just skip this if you don't care.

The benchmark inequality weirdness is called "ISOLATION FAILURE" ..

.. in the industry (where I work as well) where big companies run lots of big machines like that in their datacenters and share each machine for doing different things.

When a machine is shared, its utilization goes up, less is wasted. Keeping latency down and performance predictable for such machines is a hard hard problem, it's costing companies tens of billions of dollars per year (in network costs, in cooling costs as well as pure hardware costs), and fixing that problem is a whole different ballgame, and totally not the game limetech seems to be in or something where they can compete in (god bless them).

In the case of big cloud companies like google/amazon/facebook/microsoft, majority of tens of thousands of machines like this will potentially end up running some disk/fileserving, alongside a database, alongside some latency critical internet serving thing, alongside some big logfile crunching and analysis. Workload will end up getting scheduled/meshed together to fill in available resources like tetris or legos (or ...) all in an attempt to utilize the machines resources to the fullest.

It then becomes the job of your OS/kernel/virtualization to not allow one of those things to affect another in an unexpected way and unpredictable way. The workaround, is to not load the machines as much, which has the side-effect of not being able to utilize as much of the machine as expected, and having to keep its processing resources hungry for things to do, and keep it "under-utilized".

Imagine having tens of thousands of machines under-utilized like that and fixing software to be able to utilize another 1% of them, that's millions of dollars per year for 1% somewhere.

Enter "the cloud":

- you share machines, you have resources at low lead times when you need them, pay for what you use  -- that's on the business opportunity of things.

- fixing isolation (in software/hardware mostly) so you can get utilization up, is on the "business risk" side of things, fixing that is where these big companies I mentioned above get their mustard.

- Cloud doesn't work for gaming, damn it!

I really want to see this done with Nvidia Grid GPUs. I am curious if you can get more density on a board with less PCI slots or just get more "gamers" in general. PLEASE.