Need suggestions CPU + Mobo

SimssmiS

Hi,

I'm from Germany and planing to build a Home Server:

I had alot of Ideas on CPUs to use (wanting a intel xeon for sure) but not posting them here on purpose. I want you guys to give me Ideas since i cant decide.

Power consumption is a thing paying about 0,23€ per kw

2 cpus is possible :) 

also if you can point me a mobo to go with the cpu

What shall the server run/ be used for:

- NAS for work and private files in my house (and if possible accessible from the Internet not sure thou) 

- Plex Media Server (transcoding for 1-2 people at a time)

- Git

- Svn

- Win 7 / Linux (maybe OSX) running server applications for games and software not as game servers but for testing

- any Ideas you guys might have :D

thinking about unraid but it bottlenecks read speeds :( better ideas?

Budget: 1000-1300€

Edited by SimssmiS

3 minutes ago, mikat said:

what's your server budget?

1000-1300€ also updated original Post thanks for asking

Well you look like your workload will be relatively light so I'd recommend getting a E7500 + A LGA 775 motherboard off EBay for about $30 US.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

1 minute ago, Jacktastic-Mofo said:

Well you look like your workload will be relatively light so I'd recommend getting a E7500 + A LGA 775 motherboard off EBay for about $30 US.

my dual core 2,1 ghz wont transcode for 1 user is a E7500 really going to be able to do it for 2 and also do other stuff at the same time?

Just now, SimssmiS said:

my dual core 2,1 ghz wont transcode for 1 user is a E7500 really going to be able to do it for 2 and also do other stuff at the same time?

Sorry I accidentally skipped over the transcode, but if you're into trying out cool hardware there are dual LGA 1366 motherboards for really cheap (about $30 US) and you can get matched pair of quad core Xeons with hyperthreading for only $25 (US) like I did. That'll be more than enough for your needs.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

Supermicro x10sae is my favourite :-)

All the Supermicro motherboards are great for servers.

A few key questions to help you better.

1)Is your budget of 1000- 1300€ only for CPU & MoBo or is it for your whole build including storage?

2)Do you plan to have any sort of RAID ?. If yes, then which one?

3)How much storage do you want to have?

4) Do you plan to use it 24/7 ?

23 hours ago, Aditya_V said:

Supermicro x10sae is my favourite :-)

All the Supermicro motherboards are great for servers.

A few key questions to help you better.

1)Is your budget of 1000- 1300€ only for CPU & MoBo or is it for your whole build including storage?

2)Do you plan to have any sort of RAID ?. If yes, then which one?

3)How much storage do you want to have?

4) Do you plan to use it 24/7 ?

Sorry for not replying for about a day had to build and set up 30 pc´s for my university :D

1. for the complete build

2/3. raid 5 would be great i need some safety but dont want to spend toooooo much on storage (4-8 tb usable is my plan)

4. Yes mostly may shut it down if i go on holidays but normally 24/7

Ok, so this what I have come up with

CPU - Xeon E5-2630(LGA 2011), this CPU should be able to handle a RAID 5 without the requirement of a RAID Card

MoBo - Supermicro X10SRH-CF, as I said earlier any supermicro motherboard will do the job

Storage - 2 x 2Tb WD Black

An excellent PSU(for 24/7 usage & depending on the case + good case + UPS, I highly recommend getting a UPS as you don't wanna be loosing any data

All of this should not cost you more than 1000€

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VPmQTW

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670 2.6GHz 8-Core Processor  ($80.00) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($30.00) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI EATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($200.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($62.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case  ($75.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $841.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I know this is all US prices but you should be able to find the same parts for around the same price in Europe.

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

3 hours ago, Aditya_V said:

Ok, so this what I have come up with

CPU - Xeon E5-2630(LGA 2011), this CPU should be able to handle a RAID 5 without the requirement of a RAID Card

MoBo - Supermicro X10SRH-CF, as I said earlier any supermicro motherboard will do the job

Storage - 2 x 2Tb WD Black

An excellent PSU(for 24/7 usage & depending on the case + good case + UPS, I highly recommend getting a UPS as you don't wanna be loosing any data

All of this should not cost you more than 1000€

I thought WD Black Drives were not rated for 24/7 use.

Also 2Tb per disk? I need min 4Tb !Safe! Storage. 

the E5-2630 hase a low single core performance will this be enough?

15 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VPmQTW

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2670 2.6GHz 8-Core Processor  ($80.00) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($30.00) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X79S-UP5-WIFI EATX LGA2011 Motherboard  ($200.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($62.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($84.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case  ($75.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Amazon) 

Total: $841.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

I know this is all US prices but you should be able to find the same parts for around the same price in Europe.

Only 2 Drives? I Need at least 4Tb usable storage and it must be safe.

Why the SSD?

Just now, josap said:

You can use the SSD for installing the operating system on and the HDDs for the actual storage. This way you can swap the HDDs more easily if you have or want to.

good Point but why an ssd? A Hards drive would be enough. The system is running 24/7 so bootup time is only after a crash and I can live with that.

16 minutes ago, SimssmiS said:

Only 2 Drives? I Need at least 4Tb usable storage and it must be safe.

Forgot you wanted RAID 1 or RAID 6... Sorry about that! Just add two more WD RED drives and you can have up to 6TB usable storage with RAID.

17 minutes ago, SimssmiS said:

Why the SSD?

Just as @josap said above, you can use the SSD as a boot drive for the operating systems you wish to use.

Before I sold my desktop tower, I had a 64GB Crucial SSD running fr 3 years straight with no issues. Don't worry about the reliability of SSDs until you'vehad the same one for 3+ years :)

2 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

Forgot you wanted RAID 1 or RAID 6... Sorry about that! Just add two more WD RED drives and you can have up to 6TB usable storage with RAID.

Just as @josap said above, you can use the SSD as a boot drive for the operating systems you wish to use.

Before I sold my desktop tower, I had a 64GB Crucial SSD running fr 3 years straight with no issues. Don't worry about the reliability of SSDs until you'vehad the same one for 3+ years :)

How will the power costs be on that CPU it has a tdp of 115 Watts which is pretty high I think

5 hours ago, SimssmiS said:

How will the power costs be on that CPU it has a tdp of 115 Watts which is pretty high I think

Sorry for the late reply.

Most Xeons are going to be anywhere from 80-115 Watts, but this is only under full load. At idle, I think Xeons only use like 10-30 watts, and I highly doubt you'll be maxing out this processor very often (considering it has 8 cores and 16 threads!)

7 hours ago, Blucyrik said:

Sorry for the late reply.

Most Xeons are going to be anywhere from 80-115 Watts, but this is only under full load. At idle, I think Xeons only use like 10-30 watts, and I highly doubt you'll be maxing out this processor very often (considering it has 8 cores and 16 threads!)

So i looked up parts again and damn are the us prices good. Your CPU (80$) costs 200€ around here o.O

So i looked up the E5-1620 with 3,6ghz on 4 cores with hyperthreading for around 150€

What do you think? 

and what will be better for me higher single core performance or more threads?

15 hours ago, SimssmiS said:

I thought WD Black Drives were not rated for 24/7 use.

Also 2Tb per disk? I need min 4Tb !Safe! Storage. 

the E5-2630 hase a low single core performance will this be enough?

My Bad, I was sleepy yesterday night and typed all crappy stuff.

Get 4x WD Red 2TB or 3x WD Red 2TB.

I actually meant the E5-2620 v3 or E5-2620.

Both these processors are great with E5-2620 v3 supporting DDR4 Memory, based on the Haswell Architecture, has higher clock frequency which could be helpful, has lesser TDP and also has Turbo boost technology 2.0 .

However, both these CPUs do not have integrated Graphics Card. hence, you must either get a cheap Graphics Card or buy a Mother board with integrated Graphics Card.

I  am little busy now hence I cannot help you in choose any particular MoBo but I have heard that the Gigabyte MU70-SU0 is pretty good, I am not sure if Supermicro motherboards have on board graphics.

Also you wanna make sure the Mobo you buy supports RAID 5 or else you should buy a RAID Card.

The e5-1620 is okayish, I wouldn't recommend you to go for it considering your pretty heavy workload. The E5-2620 v3 is totally recommended by me.

Good luck with your build.

4 hours ago, SimssmiS said:

So i looked up parts again and damn are the us prices good. Your CPU (80$) costs 200€ around here o.O

So i looked up the E5-1620 with 3,6ghz on 4 cores with hyperthreading for around 150€

What do you think? 

and what will be better for me higher single core performance or more threads?

For your workload, the more cores the better. You'll get way better multicore performance (which is more important for Plex streaming for example) so despite being a bit more expensive in Europe, I would still go with the 2670. It's just a matter of raw performance.

I'm not saying E5-1620 is a slouch by any means, but in multithreaded performance, the 2670 wipes the floor with anything in it's price range.

How beneficial would a setup like this be, if you invest about 800 bucks in it?

Because I myself am thinking about building a server for plex and games and what not, with some 8-core CPU.

8 hours ago, Blucyrik said:

I´m probably going with your choice but i'm confused on the 2011 problem :P what do I look for? As I know there are 3 different Sockets called 2011

10 hours ago, Aditya_V said:

I  am little busy now hence I cannot help you in choose any particular MoBo but I have heard that the Gigabyte MU70-SU0 is pretty good, I am not sure if Supermicro motherboards have on board graphics.

Also you wanna make sure the Mobo you buy supports RAID 5 or else you should buy a RAID Card.

I have a ton of crappy or just ooooold graphics cards laying around (5 quadro 600 :D) but wouldn't they push up my power usage way to far since I'm only really using them when configuring some things. (also do you need graphics for remote control like team viewer? I think yes but my brain seems to step right out at the moment.

Your choice of CPU go's way out of my price range since the lowest price I found was 450€

5 hours ago, Exuraz said:

How beneficial would a setup like this be, if you invest about 800 bucks in it?

For myself it will be a great + because I'm working as a Game Programmer and may go Indie in a while and having a small server on my backhand to test things is a huge Benefit. For my use at home I think its also pretty good since I have a lot of stuff to backup and want something to stream movies of, run smaller applications and servers and just want something to experiment with.

When you need to save money storage will be a big deal. If you dont need  that much of safety you could go for only 1 drive and take a WD Red 3 tb for about 130€ apposed to 400€ for 4 WD Red 2TB.

but maybe the others have suggestions themself

13 hours ago, SimssmiS said:

I´m probably going with your choice but i'm confused on the 2011 problem :P what do I look for? As I know there are 3 different Sockets called 2011

I have a ton of crappy or just ooooold graphics cards laying around (5 quadro 600 :D) but wouldn't they push up my power usage way to far since I'm only really using them when configuring some things. (also do you need graphics for remote control like team viewer? I think yes but my brain seems to step right out at the moment.

Your choice of CPU go's way out of my price range since the lowest price I found was 450€

For myself it will be a great + because I'm working as a Game Programmer and may go Indie in a while and having a small server on my backhand to test things is a huge Benefit. For my use at home I think its also pretty good since I have a lot of stuff to backup and want something to stream movies of, run smaller applications and servers and just want something to experiment with.

When you need to save money storage will be a big deal. If you dont need  that much of safety you could go for only 1 drive and take a WD Red 3 tb for about 130€ apposed to 400€ for 4 WD Red 2TB.

but maybe the others have suggestions themself

The prices in your country is wayyyyyyy toooooo high

Yes, you will need a graphics card for that

Just put the cheapest and least power consuming card.

2 hours ago, Aditya_V said:

The prices in your country is wayyyyyyy toooooo high

Yes, you will need a graphics card for that

Just put the cheapest and least power consuming card.

is there any possibility i can turn off the card when I dont need it since it uses power without beeing any benificial for me most of the time

3 hours ago, SimssmiS said:

is there any possibility i can turn off the card when I dont need it since it uses power without beeing any benificial for me most of the time

Try and get a MoBo with onboard graphics

I don't know if this will work but what you can do is get a GPU which requires external power connector from the PSU, then what you can do is connect the cable whenever you require & disconnect it the rest of the time.