Amateur Needs Question Answered

Hello, I am an amateur airplane photographer and I have a question:Is the quality of the photo degraded if the lens is not at full zoom or minimum zoom.

For example: I have a lens that is 70-300 if I take a picture at 250mm will the quality be different then if the picture was taken at 300mm.

This only applies to TELEPHOTO

To my understanding as long as its an optical zoom and not digital quality is the same. I could be wrong though.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

4 hours ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Hello, I am an amateur airplane photographer and I have a question:Is the quality of the photo degraded if the lens is not at full zoom or minimum zoom.

For example: I have a lens that is 70-300 if I take a picture at 250mm will the quality be different then if the picture was taken at 300mm.

No difference if you're talking about using the same lens set at 250mm or 300m. If you're talking about using two different lenses, a zoom lens vs. a 300mm prime lens, there might be differences but again often the differences are not noticeable once the photo passes the editing stage.  Some differences are not even noticeable just by looking at the images that come directly out of the camera, unless one of the lenses happen to be particularly bad or you are intentionally looking for the differences.

The biggest difference you will have between shooting at 250mm vs. 300mm with the same lens on the same camera body: Your composition.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

21 hours ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

like others have said, it is definitely possible for image quality to get sharper or softer at different ranges of a telephoto zoom. In fact its even possible for a lenses performance to change between focusing. I wouldn't worry much about this though as the majority of the time its not going to make any kind of a big difference as manufactures correct for these kind of problems. You really only notice big differences in older lenses before CAD and CFD was a big thing in engineering.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz