Arduino questions

They look pretty cool. I'm thinking about buying an off-brand Arduino Uno R3, specifically this one:

51eSx5DtzEL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/IEIK-Board-ATmega328P-Cable-Arduino/dp/B00P2FX9WY/ref

I'm not really sure what I want to do with one yet. But I had a few questions.

1. Should I get a kit or should I just pick the parts I think I might want separately?

2. If I should get a kit, what are some fairly low-priced ones you would recommend. If I should pick parts separately what would you recommend getting?

3. What is it actually programmed in? I saw some programs and they appear to be C-like, but is it just straight C or C++ with some arduino libraries added in?

4. What is the best place to learn how to program one online?

5. How careful do you have to be of ESD? As long as you don't touch it except by the sides while it's running it should be fine, right?

6. Any other recommendations?

fake things are not the best tbh.
anyway for the questions : 

1. parts individually

2. breadboard. 555timer, diodes, led's. small motors, switches...

3. C+
4. google

5. eh. not that crazy I throw mine around all the time

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1. I think the kits can be cheaper and/or easier to order, and that way you get a bunch of stuff and just start thinking of random stuff you could try.  Unless already know what you want to build, that's probably a good option 
  2. ---
  3. It is very C-like.  I've had to look up arduino-specific functions of course, but as for the syntax it's been identical so far (not had to learn anything new there)
  4. Not sure.  Just Look at some basic examples until you can do something really simple, and then just go for what you want, looking up necessary pieces as needed.
  5. I've never been careful at all :P  They're pretty basic (ie tough) devices and it doesn't really have much for exposed terminals
  6. If it's not working, change the battery for a fresh one - this will save you much time troubleshooting things you don't understand :D

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

4 hours ago, givingtnt said:

fake things are not the best tbh.
anyway for the questions : 

1. parts individually

2. breadboard. 555timer, diodes, led's. small motors, switches...

3. C+
4. google

5. eh. not that crazy I throw mine around all the time

Okay, I'm doing the individual parts route. Does the breadboard have to be some special kind or does any one work? I probably have a normal one somewhere. While I'm at it do any of those parts have to be specifically for arduino or do any of them work? Probably a dumb question, but just want to make sure.