ASUS xonar phoebus problem

jurian123
Go to solution Solved by SSL,

Could it be the psu cable. I have the a cable with 2 6+2 pins. Might that be a problem? 

cc @SSL

Maybe.

The only way to know for sure with this stuff is to test it.

Hey,

First of all I installed this soundcard a few days ago. It works fine. great sound etc. But when ever i startup a game it sounds buzzing and making weird sound noises. It also affects some other shit. My teamspeak becomes like super slow motion. Any idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.  

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Hey,

First of all I installed this soundcard a few days ago. It works fine. great sound etc. But when ever i startup a game it sounds buzzing and making weird sound noises. It also affects some other shit. My teamspeak becomes like super slow motion. Any idea how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.  

Have you installed the correct drivers?

Also noises when running something stressful sounds like EMI.

Sig under construction.

Great first question, but yes. The latest drivers from asus website. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

Its only when i play games. Listening to music and websurfing. Still doesnt occur. 

Its only when i play games. Listening to music and websurfing. Still doesnt occur. 

What if you run a burn test on the GPU?

Sig under construction.

What if you run a burn test on the GPU?

Seems clear that it's related to GPU activity.

Does this happen with vsync off? If so, try turning it on? If not, turn it off.

What are the proximity of the cables to each other behind your computer? Are audio, graphics and power running parallel for long stretches of their length?

Try adjusting the audio output settings in the windows audio control panel - specifically try different sample rates and bit depths. While you're at it, turn off effects and disable any unused recording devices (microphones).

Report on the results when you've done these things.

What are the proximity of the cables to each other behind your computer? Are audio, graphics and power running parallel for long stretches of their length?

Try adjusting the audio output settings in the windows audio control panel - specifically try different sample rates and bit depths. While you're at it, turn off effects and disable any unused recording devices (microphones).

Vsync is indeed off. On all games i play. 

When i put vsync on I get another buzzing sound. 

When i put vsync on I get another buzzing sound. 

Cool. Answer my other questions.

Currently routed the sound cables to another location. And it didnt make any difference. 

Inside my computer I took a molex connector from psu. This one isnt close too any other cables. 

Changing audio out doesnt seem to do anything. Also shutting off microphones doesnt do anything. 

May I remind you the buzzing sound doesn't occur when I am not playing any games. Which makes this problem just weirder any second. :( 

May I remind you the buzzing sound doesn't occur when I am not playing any games. Which makes this problem just weirder any second. :(

It isn't weird at all. It's clearly EMI, as GPUs are major sources of EMI when under load.

Which slots are your soundcard and GPU installed in?

It isn't weird at all. It's clearly EMI, as GPUs are major sources of EMI when under load.

Which slots are your soundcard and GPU installed in?

Gpu top slot and sound card lowest slot 

Gpu top slot and sound card lowest slot 

I assume that means the soundcard is close to the power supply? Try moving it to a higher slot.

I assume that means the soundcard is close to the power supply? Try moving it to a higher slot.

Yes its the closest. To the psu atm. If i move it it will come closer to the gpu like 2 mm. I can try. 

Hey it doesnt change anything. 

Hey it doesnt change anything. 

Forgot to ask, are you using speakers or headphones?

Forgot to ask, are you using speakers or headphones?

I have a stereo headset and a 5.1 speaker set. Both connected to the soundcard. Well the stereo headset is connected to the control box. 

I have a stereo headset and a 5.1 speaker set. Both connected to the soundcard. Well the stereo headset is connected to the control box. 

If you don't mind trying a few more things:

• Headset directly from sound card audio ouput with discrete GPU
  • On-board audio and discrete GPU
  • On-board video and discrete sound card

Do you have your front audio headers connected? If so, disconnect them.

I know there is no inteference with onboard sound. Only with the discrete soundcard. 

Which makes that the problem. 

Yes i have those still connected. 

Have some friend with a GTX 970 and a STX II card. When we play CS:GO i can tell from the teamspeak when he booted the game.

Dat coilwhine.

Sounds awfully familiar, and I told him to plug the mic on the onboard. Which solved the problem. Sounds like EMI to me.

Have some friend with a GTX 970 and a STX II card. When we play CS:GO i can tell from the teamspeak when he booted the game.

Dat coilwhine.

Sounds awfully familiar, and I told him to plug the mic on the onboard. Which solved the problem. Sounds like EMI to me.

Which actually means the soundcard is just not needed when you play games. Aka waste of money :( 

They rarely aren't, sorry.

its just fucked up man :(

Temp fix. Using headphone out from my case. And mic input from my soundcard.