Samsung Galaxy Gear Smart Watch Officially announced by Samsung!

M-ursu
The long wait is over, Samsung Galaxy Gear Smart Watch – one of the most awaited watches of all time has finally been unveiled at the IFA 2013, Berlin. Shooting all rumors to rest, this is what the Samsung Galaxy Gear Smart Watch Actually is.
post-2255-0-14248000-1378318032.jpg

Introducing Samsung Galaxy Gear Smart Watch
– the Perfect Companion for your Note 3
The Samsung Galaxy Gear Smart Watch is a nice watch-looking smart device. The screen does NOT look flexible, however the aesthetics are pretty nice. It actually does look and feel  like a watch we had some doubts about.
The Samsung Galaxy Gear Smart Watch looks remarkable. First of all since the Samsung Galaxy Gear Smart Watch requires the use of a Samsung Smart Phone anyways, it is kind of redundant for it to have anything more then the core essential features. We can see that in the Samsung Galaxy Gear Smart Watch this is not the case. Its a watch, albeit a smart one. It does not make sense for it to have anything more then Feeds (Email,  Twitter, FB) a Music Player, Time and One or Two more apps.  And from what we can see the Samsung Galaxy Gear Smart Watch will be exactly that a smart watch.
post-2255-0-13883700-1378318087.jpg
We were worried that the Samsung Galaxy Gear Smart Watch has some aesthetic problems. We really prefer the box structure to the rectangle structure of the Samsung Galaxy Gear Smart Watch that was revealed before. A Smart Watch should feel like a watch and not a small phone tied to your wrist. The point is to make us feel as we are not on leash from our electronics.
It looks pretty amazing. It will ship sometime in October.
post-2255-0-58524500-1378318138.jpg
Specs
CPU: "800 MHz processor"
Display: 1.63 inch (41.4mm) Super AMOLED (320 x 320)
Camera: 1.9 Megapixel BSI Sensor, Auto Focus Camera / Sound & Shot
Memory: 4GB Internal memory + 512 MB (RAM)
Dimensions: 36.8 x 56.6 x 11.1 mm, 73.8g
Battery: Standard battery, Li-ion 315mAh
Announcement

The galaxy gear had been highly anticipated since the firm is currently the world's bestselling smartphone maker and has beaten Microsoft, Apple and Google to unveil such a device.

Samsung called it a "fashion icon".

However, analysts warned that a decision to limit the watch to working as an accessory to other Galaxy Android devices might limit its appeal.

Samsung has previously said growth in the sales of its handsets was slowing, so investors are eager to see if it can find another successful product.

It unveiled the the watch - which will go on sale from 25 September - at the Ifa consumer tech show in Berlin.

"The introduction of the Galaxy smartwatch comes as no surprise to the industry, which has been expecting Samsung to beat the likes of Apple - as well as watch makers and other consumer electronics companies - to market," said Chris Green, principal technology analyst at the consultancy Davies Murphy Group.

_69652400_galaxy_gear-008-set1_side_six-The Galaxy Gear is being made available with a range of colourful watch straps

"Consumers might be a bit disappointed to find that the smartwatch is a partner device reliant on being paired with a Samsung Android smartphone or tablet, rather than being the completely autonomous device media and communications device many consumers were expecting and hoping for."

The South Korean firm's approach contrasts with that of Sony whose forthcoming Smartwatch 2 can be paired with any device running Android 4.0 or higher.

But one industry watcher said Samsung's decision should not be a surprise.

"Samsung is trying to build its own ecosystem, so why do something that brings value to somebody else?" asked Carolina Milanesi, an analyst at tech advisors Gartner.

"Although the price of the Galaxy watch is high there's not going to be great margins as there's lots of technology going into it.

The Galaxy watch will cost about $300 (£192) making it more expensive than Sony's device which costs £120.

Start-up Omate is planning to release a watch in October that matches Samsung's in price, but its device is set to feature a 3G chip meaning it can make calls and work as a standalone device.

Unknown demand

The Galaxy Gear features a 1.6in (4cm) LED display, a 1.9 megapixel camera, a speaker and microphone, has four gigabytes of internal storage and a non-removable battery.

_69647593_watch2w.jpgSony's Smartwatch 2 is compatible with more makes of Android phone

Samsung said the watch could be used as a way to make voice calls without having to take the phone it was linked to out of the owner's bag or pocket.

It comes preloaded with 10 different clock options and there will be about 70 apps available at launch including Evernote's note-taking software, auction service eBay, the social network Path and several fitness programs.

Gartner has predicted the global wearable computing market - which includes eyewear such as Google Glass and activity tracker armbands - could be worth as much as $10bn (£6.5bn) by 2016.

Tech consultancy Canalys has forecast as many as five million smartwatches could be sold in 2014.

But in truth no-one is sure how great consumer interest will be.

A new survey of more than 1,500 smartphone owners in the US and UK commissioned by telecoms consultancy CCS Insight might temper expectations.

It found 65% of the respondents had heard of smartwatches and over 50% knew about wearable fitness trackers.

However, of those who already owned a smartwatch or fitness band, over 40% had stopped using it because they often forgot to put it on or had become bored of the idea.

_69652993_call.jpgSamsung suggests the watch can be used as an alternative to a Bluetooth headset to make calls

"Samsung has a history of latching onto the latest trends and throwing a product into the market to try and get ahead of potential rivals," said CCS Insight's Ben Wood.

"Galaxy Gear is the first attempt but I expect that there will need to be several more iterations before it is something that will will appeal to anyone other than an affluent geek."

Unappealing 'anachronism'

Ms Milanesi agreed that neither Samsung nor Sony's watches were likely to be the breakthrough product that makes smartwatches a mainstream product.

"Once you get a curved display you'll see more interesting designs, but for the moment you are basically just putting a glass screen on a wrist and I don't think that will appeal to many," she said.

"Samsung is also claiming a day's battery life with fair usage... it's like going back to a time you had to wind your watch up every night before going to bed.

"I don't think consumers want to do that with a watch or a band. They want to have it on without having to worry about charging it every day."

Research firm Forrester was equally sceptical.

"The wrist is the one of the most accepted places on the body for consumers to wear a sensor device," said analyst Sarah Rotman Epps.

"[but] there are very few functions you could perform better on a watch than on a phone.

"Maybe Samsung will tap into unmet demand with this product, disproving naysayers as it did with the Galaxy Note phone which succeeded after many 5in competitors failed.

"But my bet is that smartwatches are sci-fi inventions that are already anachronisms in this modern world."

Samsung launched its Galaxy Gear smartwatch today. Here's what it looks like

post-2255-0-52649200-1378318283.jpg

post-2255-0-23788500-1378318293.jpg
post-2255-0-28786800-1378318557.jpg
post-2255-0-79470400-1378318420.jpg
Full announcement from Samsung is here:

Other sources:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23961692

Wait, so it's only compatible with Note 3, Note 2, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S4? I see this flopping, because it's in such a tight niche.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Eh.

I still use a traditional analog watch. Don't really need another smart device.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Its too much of a big change. With more support it will be better.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

like the sony one more

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

Wait, so it's only compatible with Note 3, Note 2, Galaxy S3 and Galaxy S4? I see this flopping, because it's in such a tight niche.

I only see people with S3, S4, Note 2s and iPhones. A few Verizon Motorola phones here and there. So it could be possible for it to be a hit.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

I only see people with S3, S4, Note 2s and iPhones. A few Verizon Motorola phones here and there. So it could be possible for it to be a hit.

It could, but I still feel they should have added compatibility with more Android devices.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I really don't give a damn about smart watches and I still can not see the point in them. Why would you want one? It baffles me that there is so much attention going towards a device which I just can not see being successful. 

I love gadgets, I really do, but this is just silly. 

Four major flaws with this:

1) Only works with Galaxy devices. Yes Samsung is big, but why limit it to Samsung devices? Just open it up and let any Android device use it.

2) 1 days of battery life? I am sorry, but it's a watch. I don't want to recharge my watch every single day....

3) What am I suppose to do with it? Answer calls? I can already do that with my phone? Take photos? My phone takes much better photos. See notifications? OK that's cool but I could just check them on my phone. It's not that much faster to check my watch.

4) It costs 300 dollars... I think ~100 dollars would be quite expensive for something like this, and I am fairly sure most people will agree.

The Sony one sounds a lot better.

2) 1 days of battery life? I am sorry, but it's a watch. I don't want to recharge my watch every single day....

Wow. xD

My watch has been going for 7+ years non-stop. Yay for Eco-Drive.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

People who think the gear is awesome, why? Please just take a quick look at the Omate Truesmart, it's 1000x better then the gear..

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/49783-anybody-else-here-getting-the-new-omate-truesmart-smartwatch-20-kickstarter/

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

Strange that they would limit their potential market by such a significant amount.

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.