Anybody else here getting the new Omate Truesmart (Smartwatch 2.0 Kickstarter)?

As most people here are tech geeks like me, I think there are probably more people here who found, and backed the Omate Truesmart Kickstarter:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omate/omate-truesmart-water-resistant-standalone-smartwa

And it seems to be really cool, the future is now people. James bond is coming true.

Why? This is the actual first smartwatch, that is actually a smart watch. It can work without the connection to a phone. It is a complete, android 4.2 experience, and yes, you can make calls with it!

It comes with a camera, phone, gps, 3g, etc etc:

SPECIFICATIONS:

Dual Core Cortex A7 – 1.3GHz
Omate UI 1.0 / Android 4.2.2
1.54’’ TFT by LG display (240 x 240)
Multi-touch Capacitive Touch Screen
Connectivity capabilities:
+ 2G GSM: GPRS class 12 EDGE Multi-Slot Class 12
+ 3G WCDMA: HSPA 7.2Mbps/5.76Mbps
+ WiFi: IEEE 802.11b/g/n
+ Bluetooth 4.0
GPS
Embedded 5Mpixel camera
Audio Speaker & Microphone
Memory: 512MB + 4GB + (expandable by microSD 8/16/32GB)
Micro SIM card
600 mAh battery: up to 100 hours standby time
Messaging Hub: SMS/MMS/Email/SNS
G-sensor, E-Compass, Gyroscope, IP67
Vibration alert
Full set of pre-qualified Android applications
Over-the-Air (OTA) system firmware update

And the dev version comes pre-rooted, awesome!

Prototype vids:

More (newer) videos on page 2, so this doesn't get cluttered.

BTW, it CAN still connect to a phone, and notifications are synced, the devs confirmed. So you dismiss a notification on your watch, it's also gone on your phone.

So I ordered the dev version. Anybody else here a backer? I think this could be a great discussion thread to share our experiences when it arrives (starting October)

XDA Thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2422473

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

That looks amazing. I like it. Its hard to take my phone half the places i go on a daily basis because of weather, chemicals, and shock/damage. This would be awesome to have as a backup. I'm seriously considering it. Looking into it now. 

That looks amazing. I like it. Its hard to take my phone half the places i go on a daily basis because of weather, chemicals, and shock/damage. This would be awesome to have as a backup. I'm seriously considering it. Looking into it now. 

I know right, I am getting a dual sim (they have that here in the Netherlands, you get 2 sims with the same phone number), and I will just use this watch as a phone when I don't want to take my gigantic Note2.

Lol, can you see yourself talking to your watch, then taking a picture with it, and sending that by email (by voice recognition). That's the future!

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

It's not the first smartwatch that actually runs on Android independently of a phone, though it may be the first one that can actually BE a phone.

It does look like a fairly good deal though; all the functionality of other smart watches plus the ability to act as a much smaller and more durable phone all on its own, and it's basically the same price as other smartwatches I've seen that don't even have color displays.

I don't understand how it's only at 350K while pebble got over 10M

Spoiler

I already paid way too much for a Pebble, so no, I wont be buying an Omate Truesmart.

I don't understand how it's only at 350K while pebble got over 10M

Since there's already smart watches on the market, and since the Truesmart follows so closely in Pebble's wake, there's not a huge number of people that want a smart watch and don't have one of the other devices already out there because this emerging market is relatively small for now.

I already paid way too much for a Pebble, so no, I wont be buying an Omate Truesmart.

Since there's already smart watches on the market, and since the Truesmart follows so closely in Pebble's wake, there's not a huge number of people that want a smart watch and don't have one of the other devices already out there because this emerging market is relatively small for now.

Yeah I guess, I was also going to buy a pebble but I decided to wait (which I am very happy with that I did now). But it still sucks that this project, which seems way more awesome then pebble, doesn't get the same opportunities.

Spoiler

Yeah I guess, I was also going to buy a pebble but I decided to wait (which I am very happy with that I did now). But it still sucks that this project, which seems way more awesome then pebble, doesn't get the same opportunities.

Omate surpassed their Kickstarter goal by over three times, and they still have 25 days to go. Also, they are getting the same opportunity: to present a product they designed and ask the market to fund it's production. Success in the market is not an opportunity, it is something earned (whether that be by hard work or luck is irrelevant).

Omate surpassed their Kickstarter goal by over three times, and they still have 25 days to go. Also, they are getting the same opportunity: to present a product they designed and ask the market to fund it's production. Success in the market is not an opportunity, it is something earned (whether that be by hard work or luck is irrelevant).

I agree, you are correct, however by this time pebble had millions already. I think this product is many times better then the pebble, but apparantly it's not seen by enough people the same way.

I think the Omate Truesmart should be farther along already, so they can improve it (the better glass, more ram is still an open option).

Spoiler

Never will get a smart watch, Never will want a smart watch. (Saying this I probably will get one soon :P )

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

If I got a smartwatch I'd go for zje Samsung one with the flexible screen.

Yet I see absolutely no use for this and I prefer to wear my Omega ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

If I got a smartwatch I'd go for zje Samsung one with the flexible screen.

Yet I see absolutely no use for this and I prefer to wear my Omega ^^

There is nothing confirmed about the Samsung Smartwatch, it's all rumors.

Spoiler

There is nothing confirmed about the Samsung Smartwatch, it's all rumors.

Ya, but 99% of this Kickstarter stuff looks awesome in a YouTube video. But look at the Ouya lol.

No way in hell I'm buying this thing.

[Despite the fact that I don't see to point in a smartwatch at all] ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

If this could replace my phone, I'm all for it.

At the right price ofc.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

I agree, you are correct, however by this time pebble had millions already. I think this product is many times better then the pebble, but apparantly it's not seen by enough people the same way.

I think the Omate Truesmart should be farther along already, so they can improve it (the better glass, more ram is still an open option).

Just because something's more better doesn't mean the market will want it.That's the issue here. Omate's video doesn't make me want a TrueSmart Watch.

I like the Tech used in it, nice concept.

Unfortunately, I'm not a watch wearer but could see it as a mini phone in my pocket.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I like the Tech used in it, nice concept.

Unfortunately, I'm not a watch wearer but could see it as a mini phone in my pocket.

I'm not a watch wearer either, but I don't see this as a watch, I see this more as an easy way to look at my dozens of notifications per day (like the mails for my LTT threads), and also at this point I always take my phone out of my pocket to check time, mail, whatsapp etc, but now I will just look at my wrist! That's going to make me a watch wearer.

Spoiler

Spoiler

BTW a lot has changed with updates, 1GB ram is now also possible, and they added USB via the waterproof connectors. The updates are kinda awesome:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/omate/omate-truesmart-water-resistant-standalone-smartwa/posts

Spoiler

How is it possible that this is generating so little media buzz? This is a 1000 times better then the Galaxy Gear for example, but nobody seems to care?

There's more videos btw:

Spoiler

Holy crap this is going to be awesome. For anybody that uses vire launcher on their phone, you know why.

Spoiler

Sounds good, but for 200 dollars it's too expensive, and I highly doubt the battery life is good since it has things like GPS and 3G.

I would almost never be able to wear any of these smartwatches... They would just break when I'm at work.

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

Sounds good, but for 200 dollars it's too expensive, and I highly doubt the battery life is good since it has things like GPS and 3G.

You think 200 is expensive? It's basically a smartphone on your wrist. Compare it to the galaxy gear, that's 300, and it does SO MUCH LESS.

Comparison chart for smartwatches:

truesmart-comparisons.jpg

It's a pretty good deal..

I would almost never be able to wear any of these smartwatches... They would just break when I'm at work.

Well, this one has sapphire crystal glass ;)

Spoiler