My Windows to Mac Journey and Back

Hi all.

I thought I would share my Windows to Mac journey and back again.

It started at the end of 2013. Me and my dad went laptop shopping and found a nice laptop for $700AUD. I was going to save my money and get one like that.

At my previous school, we used 2010 MacBooks as our computers. They were going out of lease and going up for sale for people to buy.

My parents bought one for me for my birthday because they were so cheap ($280AUD cheap to be exact).

It worked fine and started to get extremely slow after about 3 months as I had accumulated about 150GB of Steam games.

It would be fine BUT on a laptop that has 250GB and there was 10GB free and it took like 5 minutes to turn on, I had to put a stop to it.

Once I finished school at the end of 2014, I stopped using it immediately. I started using an old laptop that had Vista/7 on it (can't remember).

At the start of last year, I bought a gaming PC, transitioning back to Windows.

I started using the MacBook a bit more midway through last year as I needed it for school this year (I live in Australia and we still are on holidays!) and I thought I might as well mess around with it.

I purchased a 120GB SSD for it to get more speed. More speed it brought.

I decided to conduct a teardown of it to clean the insides. Never do it unless you know what you're doing/you have the money to fix stuff-ups.

I damaged 2 of the 3 AirPort antenna connectors and damaged some of the pins on the display connector beyond repair.

My dad went halves in buying me another 2010 White MacBook A1342 (Look up that model if you want specs) and it came with 4GB RAM rather than the 2 I was running in the other machine.

I put my SSD in it and it ran like a beauty.

My comments on MacBooks and OS X.

The MacBook is an engineering feat and still is, 6 years after release. I love it to bits as it just slips into my backpack and I can take it anywhere. It does have some outdated hardware like a Core 2 Duo which I'm fine with (all of the computers I had before the MacBook all had like Intel Core Duos or one had an AMD Sempron single core. I know right!). The C2D does everything I need from a laptop and surprisingly quickly. However, it would have been good if Apple had still used Aluminium for this model as the polycarbonate isn't exactly the most durable.

My comments on OS X now.

I was an idiot and didn't do a backup before I upgraded from Mavericks to Yosemite. Mavericks ran fine on 2GB RAM whereas Yosemite beach-balled everywhere (only Mac users will get that xD). Yosemite is still a very demanding OS but I am lucky as to which MacBook I have. There were 2 versions of this model. A 2009 model at 2.26GHz and mine at 2.4GHz. The 2.26GHz model can only support 8GB of 1067MHz DDR3L RAM whereas the 2.4GHz model can support up to 16GB of RAM. It is amazing how good 6-year-old hardware is (just look at the Power Mac G5 (the RAM can be upgraded to something like 16GB on the quad 2.5GHz model)). OS X is nice and streamlined, Finder is nice and has all of the features I need and El Capitan became better on older hardware like this Mac. The only issue I have with El Capitan is the absolutely HORRENDOUS Disk Utility. I cannot stand it. I have been unable to do what I wanted on it for the past 2 times and have had to use Disk Management on Windows. Yeah, that bad. Apple, don't pull a Microsoft and change something that works absolutely perfectly.

Am I glad to be back on Windows? Absolutely. Gaming is so much better on Windows and my gaming PC is so expandable. I can add so many more drives than I could in a Mac Pro/Mini or an iMac.

Would I go back to Mac? God no. I am back on team Windows and I'm here to stay. For real this time.

I have been using an iPod touch 4th gen for a few years and I will be getting a Samsung tablet in the next month. Let me know if you want an iOS to Android discussion as I know iOS inside and out, at least iOS 6.

Thanks, Alpha.

(Be sure to leave your switching journeys below. It truly interests more people than you think).

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

Few years back my dad managed to get an iMac for free from the school he teaches at (they upgraded to some pretty hefty Windows machines and wanted to get rid of the iMacs).

My mom absolutely hated it and my dad kinda knew how to use it (should be noted that he's a wizard on Windows machines now, so it's not lack of knowledge or skills). Heck, mom still used my FIRST proper PC (Sempron 2800+ awfulness running XP) instead of it.

I never touched it at first, but then I got curious.

A couple of months after I started using it I began researching how to install Windows on it and bootcamped the hell out of it. Fast forward about a year or so, it started acting up so I figured I'd go OS X on it, at least for shits and giggles. While installing the OS wasn't too much of a pain, problems started coming up. 10-15 minute boot times, beach ballin' (hehe) for another 30-odd minutes after a fresh boot, apps disappearing and so on. The pinnacle was when the USBs stopped working alltogether. They'd provide power, but no data. That's when I said screw it, I'm going in and proceeded to tear it down. Electrically everything seemed fine and I had managed to somehow get the USBs to work (kb/mouse thingy were working at least). Two or three months later I get a call from my mom telling me it exploded. Almost literally. She was looking something up on the internet when the screen went black. She did a hard reboot (unplugged, waited 30-odd seconds and plugged it back in), and lo and behold magic smoke and a white screen literally split in half down the middle.

My thoughts: I'm so glad it was free. But I still want my money back.

Should also be noted that I tried to get a ram and storage upgrade before I decided to bootcamp and it would've cost me about as much as a mid-range Gigabyte Brix would have (no storage or memory included) that was far better spec-wise.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I just switched from windows to linux for like the 5th time in the last 15 years or so. This time I went with Arch linux, admittedly it isn't for the feint of heart, but I have gotten more done pretty much building my os from scratch as opposed to the hair pulling, teeth grinding experience with mavericks installed in a VM. It's already installed and running. I just want it so that I might test any software I write on it so I can make software for mac people.

What I have been seeing last 30 years of my pc life makes so much sense now. Schools have had macs thrust upon them for so many years, and we always knew it was so kids got used to them and wouldn't want windows ever. One of my hippie ass teachers in high school showed us 11th hour and marathon and was so smug about how cool gaming on a mac was. We would go home from school everyday and "marathon" doom and doom 2 for hours and hours until our parents physically pried our hands off the keyboard. Mac gaming has always sucked and it always will. What dawned on me was finally the answer to why mac operating systems are so ass backwards, it's to keep inexperienced users from switching to windows.

Yeah, you people think it's cool to hate on iHipsters? I've been hating on them since the 90's. What happened to Steve Jobs was karma catching up to him. Apple has never seen a dime of my money, and they never will.

Heck, mom still used my FIRST proper PC (Sempron 2800+ awfulness running XP) instead of it.

Wow man, that sounds like my dad's PC that he used until about a few months ago. I reckon it was worse than your mum's (I think Athlon's are worse than Semprons but my dad upgraded to an Athlon 3200+ ages ago) and he had to stop using it because his anti-virus would not work on Windows XP despite it was working on an old Sempron laptop that had XP on it.

Never mind, he has a much better machine now running Windows 10 with 4GB RAM and a Socket 775 Pentium.

2017 Gaming PC

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

-snip-

Am I glad to be back on Windows? Absolutely. Gaming is so much better on Windows and my gaming PC is so expandable. I can add so many more drives than I could in a Mac Pro/Mini or an iMac.

Would I go back to Mac? God no. I am back on team Windows and I'm here to stay. For real this time.

-snip-

But outside of gaming? I mean from a more casual standpoint like just checking mail etc. would your choice then be the same or might a macbook be a bit more appealing then?

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

As my computer science teacher once said. "Macs are meant to be put on a girl's desk and never to be used"

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

So this is another "why I hate Apple/Apple sucks" rant post?

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Wow man, that sounds like my dad's PC that he used until about a few months ago. I reckon it was worse than your mum's (I think Athlon's are worse than Semprons but my dad upgraded to an Athlon 3200+ ages ago) and he had to stop using it because his anti-virus would not work on Windows XP despite it was working on an old Sempron laptop that had XP on it.

Never mind, he has a much better machine now running Windows 10 with 4GB RAM and a Socket 775 Pentium.

I eventually bought mom a NUC and my dad's using my old wallmounted PC (FX6300, 32Gb of ram and it used to have a 770 2-way SLI but the cards were used for bitcoin mining so they eventually died, getting replaced by an R9 270)

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

I got a MBA for nothing from my work place (was suspected faulty mobo by different tech), awesome for every day things.

Its perfect for my meetings and can even smash AoE 2 flawlessly. 10/10 would recommend for "Thin and Light".

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Bought MBP for my mum (teaming up with family) for Christmas, upgraded the ram (saves money - £65), stuck MSX on it and now it runs like a treat.

But outside of gaming? I mean from a more casual standpoint like just checking mail etc. would your choice then be the same or might a macbook be a bit more appealing then?

Still, it would be no. Macs for something casual like just checking email still seems expensive for just that. My choice would pretty much be the same but if I required it for something then I would make do with it. Essentially, if I went out and bought a Mac just for email, it would be like buying a Windows Vista machine all over again.

The MacBook is a nice laptop, still has a fair bit of speed in it. I can probably get a few more years out of it as it is really just a machine for watching YouTube, using the internet and doing schoolwork (Office, online stuff and a bit of light video editing (I put Premiere Pro CS6 on it and haven't tested performance but will use iMovie if it runs terribly).

2017 Gaming PC

Dell XPS 15 9560

I eventually bought mom a NUC and my dad's using my old wallmounted PC (FX6300, 32Gb of ram and it used to have a 770 2-way SLI but the cards were used for bitcoin mining so they eventually died, getting replaced by an R9 270)

Just goes to show that PCs can still be used even if they are old. You just need to be accepting that you won't have the best thing on the street and you may not be able to play GTA 5 at highest graphics settings.

2017 Gaming PC

Dell XPS 15 9560

• 1 month later...

My first ever computer was a macbook pro. I was 13, and was trying to by my own computer, and dad said if i got a mac he would pay half of it. I didn't know at the time, but it was because he knew that gaming was shitty on a mac, and was against getting really into games. In hindsight, if got to hand it to him that it was a pretty slick move. Anyways, that was fine and I loved my macbook for a few years. However as I got more into computers and electronics, I realllyyy wanted to build my own desktop. So I sold my macbook and built a pretty decent system (a 3570k and a gtx 660ti). I loved my desktop for a few years, but then I kind of got uninterested in gaming, and focused a lot more on school. I decided I needed a laptop again, so I sold my desktop and bought a lenovo thinkpad (was not being tricked into a macbook this time ;) hahaha). Thats when I realized how frustrating windows is to use on a laptop. I REFUSE to cart around a mouse (or accessories of any kind) around with me when I'm using my laptop, and the lack of trackpad gestures (reallll ones. not basic shit like 'pinch to zoom' and 2 finger scroll) makes navigating around the OS feel like I'm wrestling with it, rather than the natural, smooth, gesture based navigation you can get on OS X with the trackpads apple makes. So after a while with the lenovo I decided I would try to find a laptop with a better trackpad (though ngl, the lenovo had the best laptop keyboard i have ever used). After a short period of searching I realized that there is no windows trackpad that even comes close to the macbook one. So, despite my (at the time) windows fanboy nature, I decided to buy another god damn macbook -.- literally JUST for the trackpad. So I bought a late 2013 macbook pro with a 512 gb PCIe ssd, an i7, 16gb of ram, and a 750m. Was normally priced at around 2400, but I bought it from the certified refurbished section on the apple website so i got it for 1800. Say what you will, but at the time, that was an extremely reasonable price for a laptop with a 512gb PCIe ssd (btw, 10/10 would recommend. literally no reason to ever buy a brand new apple product. their refurbished stuff has the exact same warranty). Anyway, I initially felt the buyer's remorse for paying so much money JUST for a trackpad. After time though, I began to fall in love with my macbook. Yes its true that it was barely able to play most games, but at the time if i ever did play a game it was counter strike, which can run on a toaster, so i really didn't feel the effects of having such a shitty gpu. What i DID feel however, was the speed an efficiency in just about every other task. The trackpad gestures are so good, that it is almost akin to having multiple displays. Its as close as you're ever gonna get on a laptop anyway hahaha. Then, I go to school for engineering 2 years later (currently at the end of my first year). I still use my macbook for most things, but some stuff that i need to do you just can't really do on a macbook (mostly drafting shit like solid works and NX). You can try to install windows, but then you just have a windows laptop. ew. besides, apple has the shittyest windows drivers ever, so its not even a decent windows laptop. So earlier in the school year i decided to build a budget system with some old parts i had in my house at home and some new parts. So now I've got a desktop with a i5 6400, msi b150, gtx 960, 8 gigs of ddr4, a 256g ssd (new parts) and a sketchy old case, a ballin old psu and a few TB worth of old hard drives. Oh, and a 34inch ultra wide. So anyways, long story short, I've got my desktop for CAD software, and gaming. Then my laptop for coding, math shit, reports and everything else. Im of the strong opinion that, that is the way to go, if at all possible. IMO windows is useless and a mobile OS, and on a computer with anything less than a 21 inch screen and a proper mouse. and OS X doesn't make any sense on a desktop where you're gonna have a big screen, a mouse, and unlimited battery life anyway. Theres my story from mac to windows to mac to a healthy mix of both.

• 4 weeks later...

Switched to OSX just under a year ago. Love the OS, but I do a fair bit of academic writing and as Word on OSX seems to get a bit clunky when I use a reference manager i've taken to writing in papers and cut and pasting references manually (papers doesn't support reference managers).

From that aspect I regret switching, but the rest of the OS experience makes it an acceptable sacrifice. That said, I will always prefer W10 for my desktop, but idk, just really like the feel of OSX for portability.

MacBooks are brilliant, best trackpads available and build quality second to none. i love navigating through osx, but i hate how i have a load of storage taken up by files that are completely impossible to find.

• 1 month later...

you know i find all this crap that you people are posting to be utterly ridiculous because i am both a mac and pc user. the macs that you are talking about are completely and utterly underpowered and not representative of macs to be very honest. you have to understand to run the things that apple intended to be used on a mac it needs to be slightly capable of it or else just do not update the thing. 

if you want to use the best of the features and whatever a company has to offer, you have to have capable hardware. 

On 1/13/2016 at 3:05 PM, AluminiumTech said:

As my computer science teacher once said. "Macs are meant to be put on a girl's desk and never to be used"

that's the most generalised little bitch comment that i have ever heard in my life. tell me something, all that matters is your damn preference, such a little bitch. 

• 2 months later...

Thank you for this post, if you had not made it I may have tried installing Yosemite on my sister's laptop instead of Mavericks. Shes running an Intel Celeron and 2GB memory (Yikes!)

How is gaming on Mac OS X? Have you noticed any performance differences? I'm considering installing OS X on my PC seeing as some people are reporting success with AMD on Mavericks. (Although That's gonna require a kernel change from what I hear)

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

On 1/13/2016 at 3:26 AM, AlphaGamer46 said:

Actually Athlon's are better than Sempron's, Sempron's are typically Single or Dual-core processors running at around 1.6 GHz (I don't know the exact range) while high end Athlon processors can be Quad-cores running at up to 2.7 GHz. The Athlon 5350 handles games like Fallout 4 pretty well, I do find that GTA V has random stutters when loading in the world but nothing too major.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

• 2 weeks later...
On March 3, 2016 at 8:28 PM, sqzit said:

Thats when I realized how frustrating windows is to use on a laptop. I REFUSE to cart around a mouse (or accessories of any kind) around with me when I'm using my laptop, and the lack of trackpad gestures (reallll ones. not basic shit like 'pinch to zoom' and 2 finger scroll) makes navigating around the OS feel like I'm wrestling with it, rather than the natural, smooth, gesture based navigation you can get on OS X with the trackpads apple makes. So after a while with the lenovo I decided I would try to find a laptop with a better trackpad (though ngl, the lenovo had the best laptop keyboard i have ever used). After a short period of searching I realized that there is no windows trackpad that even comes close to the macbook one. So, despite my (at the time) windows fanboy nature, I decided to buy another god damn macbook -.- literally JUST for the trackpad.

This... This is why I can't stand Windows.  I don't do much gaming, and IMO, the workflow is just so much easier to get into on a Mac.  Windows 10 brings some virtual desktops to laptops, something I'v found really useful on Mac, but I'v found it really unintuitive to invoke it.  Another one of my reasons for using Mac is that Apple products work seamlessly together and are all share some of the same services (Apple Music, iCloud...).  Not to mention Mac exclusives (MainStage 3, Logic Pro...).