Mechanical Keyboard Club!

Dave :)
On 2017-6-6 at 7:32 AM, Qub3d said:

Ooooh man, is anyone getting on the 2nd run of SA Carbon? Massdrop Link

04_20170518160947.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg <--- Look at this sexyness!

I'm personally torn between getting this or hopping on the DSA Night Sky Caps. Probably gonna go carbon, because I really like SA profile.

I'm://www.massdrop.com/buy/carbon?utm_source=linkshare&referer=TCSA9X

Edit: These are ABS keys. Oh.

Thick abs > pbt. 

Abs has deeper thock. Also abs is only plastic able to be normally doubleshot. Pbt doubleshots use pom or abs shot. 

The shine of abs just adds to the sexiness of sa profile, and the smoothness is awesome. 

Only pbt sa keyset is ice cap if you want them. Tho they are only uniform r3 not sculpted.

Im saying just go for it. 

On 2017-5-31 at 1:53 AM, ArmswieldTheHero said:

Well I dont know what kind of elitist world you're living in where a keyboard clicking at the same time it actuates doesnt count as it being clicky. Membrane keyboards actuate at the same time they bottom out. Meaning its tactile and clicky and it was much much cheaper.

The world of mechanical keyboards. This thread is the mechanical keyboard club, so the word "clicky" is used in the context of mechanical keyboards. Outside of this context "clicky" can indeed be interpreted as "makes a click", but in this context, "clicky" is the property of a mechanical switch. Your keyboard is not mechanical, and nobody that is involved with mechanical keyboards would consider it clicky. While criticising this attitude as elitist is justified, you have to see that we need to adhere to some definition of the word mechanical, otherwise this would just be the keyboard club.

On 2017-6-6 at 6:32 AM, Qub3d said:

Ooooh man, is anyone getting on the 2nd run of SA Carbon? Massdrop Link

04_20170518160947.jpg?auto=format&fm=jpg <--- Look at this sexyness!

I'm personally torn between getting this or hopping on the DSA Night Sky Caps. Probably gonna go carbon, because I really like SA profile.

I'm://www.massdrop.com/buy/carbon?utm_source=linkshare&referer=TCSA9X

Edit: These are ABS keys. Oh.

DSA Night Sky looks sweet. But I don't think I'll ever buy one of those sets unless it offers mono legends for special characters like Granite does. If I can't perfectly fit the set to my layout, I might just as well go with blanks of the same colour.

EDIT: Oh shit, I just noticed that with the Alternate Kit, this would actually fit my upcoming BananaSplit buy. Goddamnit.

Also, ABS caps aren't born equal. These caps are high quality and very thick. If it's worth the price is another question.

On 2017-6-8 at 10:25 PM, Me_Is_Hooman said:

Thick abs > pbt. 

Abs has deeper thock. Also abs is only plastic able to be normally doubleshot. Pbt doubleshots use pom or abs shot. 

The shine of abs just adds to the sexiness of sa profile, and the smoothness is awesome. 

Only pbt sa keyset is ice cap if you want them. Tho they are only uniform r3 not sculpted.

Im saying just go for it. 

Meh, it might look nice, but personally, I absolutely despise the shine on SA in terms of feel, I'd rather use the more coarsely finished Maxkey SA caps than SPs offering.

The sleek surface of SA isn't really a property of ABS either, but of the mold. Unless you're talking about the additional shine that the caps get after being used for a while.

On 6/10/2017 at 6:57 PM, iFreilicht said:

EDIT: Oh shit, I just noticed that with the Alternate Kit, this would actually fit my upcoming BananaSplit buy. Goddamnit.

Yep, I feel you. Its frustrating to find the perfect keycap set for me as well, since I know ramen will be abundant in my future...

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

Love my Shine 6 Blues

I'm a simple person :)

On 2017-06-06 at 9:08 PM, verytiny said:

topre is the best

.eJwVzEEOhCAMAMC_8ADKAlXqbwgSJBEhtJ6Mf9_d6xzmUfc81aYOkcEbwF459blrlj5jybr0Xs4cR2WdeoMoEtPR8iUM7oNIK6Hz3lo0K9ofBbS0kFm8oxA8Gajt34yrqPcLwSIh4w.fzbMzVRcrc9bRH-oSwTdLN6e-n4?width=1253&height=704

Topre do have a lovely feel to them. I got three boards with them. :)

Do you prefer the spacebar that way?

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, Me_Is_Hooman said:

That is a weird way to spell rubbre dome /s. 

Does it have hypersphere, mx sliders, or is it stock? 

How would it compare to hhkb. 

Are you going to put in the new hasu controler for 660c? Full programability.

it is stock and i don't have much of a need for full programmability aside from nkro to shitpost more loudly. i wish i had the balls to take apart a $300 keyboard for silencing, but alas, i am merely a broke, malnourished weeaboo. i don't have a hhkb so i can't compare

On ‎6‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 6:33 PM, Existinguser said:

Topre do have a lovely feel to them. I got three boards with them. :)

Do you prefer the spacebar that way?

yes, and i also removed the spring under the spacebar

2 hours ago, Naypalm said:

Just got this wasd vp3 61 key with mx blue switches in the mail today.

Photo Jun 20, 11 35 30.jpg

That's a pretty good board and a good colour for the caps as well :) Too bad WASD caps are so thin, I'd definitely recommend getting a decent set of thick caps at some point.

I feel ashamed that my keyboard is bone-stock :S 

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

10 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I feel ashamed that my keyboard is bone-stock :S 

Well then, get over onto geekhack or massdrop and find a group buy for stuff to modify yours with ;) 

42 minutes ago, iFreilicht said:

Well then, get over onto geekhack or massdrop and find a group buy for stuff to modify yours with ;) 

Yeah, but I don't know what I want. Also, if you've seen a Masterkeys Pro S, you'll know that there are a few custom keys, and I haven't completely memorized those yet. That and the price is really the only thing holding me back from buying keycaps.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

On 6/21/2017 at 1:01 PM, kelvinhall05 said:

Yeah, but I don't know what I want. Also, if you've seen a Masterkeys Pro S, you'll know that there are a few custom keys, and I haven't completely memorized those yet. That and the price is really the only thing holding me back from buying keycaps.

If you check back every month or so, you're bound to find something you like. 

What custom keys are you talking about? As far as I can tell, they are all standard sizes.

6 hours ago, iFreilicht said:

If you check back every month or so, you're bound to find something you like. 

What custom keys are you talking about? As far as I can tell, they are all standard sizes.

Some (all?) of the function keys, and the 1-4 keys (since they have the profile labeling, which I quite like).

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Any idea how to clean Cherry MX Switches?

Been using my Filco Majestouch 2 Cherry MX Blues for about 3 years and 6 months now. 

I noticed that my left CTRL key don't have that same "clack" as my other keys. I also noticed it on some of the keys. Not all. But it gets somewhat irritating when something isn't right in the whole keyboard.

I don't want to replace the switches with this keyboard. Nor do I want to buy a new one. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

A few weeks ago, I picked up a Logitech G710+ for $40 on clearance from Wal Mart. Am I part of this club now too? 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

15 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

A few weeks ago, I picked up a Logitech G710+ for $40 on clearance from Wal Mart. Am I part of this club now too? 

Yup. 

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I currently don't have a mechanical keyboard but was thinking of getting one, are they really that much better than regular keyboards?

17 minutes ago, Warmishrobin said:

I currently don't have a mechanical keyboard but was thinking of getting one, are they really that much better than regular keyboards?

They are so much better than regular! I currently have the corsair k70 (mx blues) and it feels so nice.

There are a lot of different types of switches for mechanical keyboards, so do your research before buying one.

"Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." John F. Kennedy

"Daddy is going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." Linus Sebastian

"It's soft, but in a good way, kinda like typing on boobs." Luke Lafreniere

6 hours ago, Warmishrobin said:

Honestly, it depends on your preference. If you can, go to a store and try out mechanical keyboards, and see what you think.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

On 6/23/2017 at 3:49 AM, ZakuII said:

Any idea how to clean Cherry MX Switches?

Been using my Filco Majestouch 2 Cherry MX Blues for about 3 years and 6 months now. 

I noticed that my left CTRL key don't have that same "clack" as my other keys. I also noticed it on some of the keys. Not all. But it gets somewhat irritating when something isn't right in the whole keyboard.

I don't want to replace the switches with this keyboard. Nor do I want to buy a new one. 

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

If the Filco Majestouch supports switch opening, you can use a special tool to just open the switch and clean out any gunk that might be inside with a Q-tip.

If it doesn't, you'll have to desolder the switch before opening it.

10 hours ago, Warmishrobin said:

It depends. Mechanical keyboards come in many different shapes and with different switches, so there's a lot more you can do to make it feel exactly like you want. But, regular keyboards can be pretty good too. Especially modern scissor switch keyboards, similar to what you can find in high-end ultrabooks, can be of very high quality and some people prefer them to mechanical for the shorter key travel.

Really, I'd advise you to go to your local Electronics store where multiple keyboards are for display. See if you can find mechanical ones and try them out. Check which switches are installed, and try to feel the difference it makes when you press down switches on all of the boards. You will feel a huge different between them. Most commonly you'll find Red, Blue and Brown switches, possibly a board from Razer as well with Kailh switches. The difference between them is very noticeable. After that, decide whether you'd like to get one or not.

So I finally placed an order for Ellipse's new production Model F F77. God I'm excited. Now just to wait until October-ish.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

20 hours ago, Masada02 said:

So I finally placed an order for Ellipse's new production Model F F77. God I'm excited. Now just to wait until October-ish.

Niiiice, but that's a lot of money to drop on a board at once. What options did you go for?

1 hour ago, iFreilicht said:

Niiiice, but that's a lot of money to drop on a board at once. What options did you go for?

Ya, it's a lot. More than I've ever spent on a keyboard by a long shot, but in my mind it's basically the perfect board. 

F77, ANSI layout, industrial grey, SSK blue keys, front printed F keys, and I bought an extra shell in black in case I end up liking that better.

LTT Unigine SUPERPOSITION scoreboardhttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1jvq_--P35FbqY8Iv_jn3YZ_7iP1I_hR0_vk7DjKsZgI/edit#gid=0

Intel i7 8700k || ASUS Z370-I ITX || AMD Radeon VII || 16GB 4266mhz DDR4 || Silverstone 800W SFX-L || 512GB 950 PRO M.2 + 3.5TB of storage SSD's

SCHIIT Lyr 3 Multibit || HiFiMAN HE-1000 V2 || MrSpeakers Ether C

Hey guys with non-backlit keyboard, do you ever regret not getting one with backlight? I sure do. ? Really want to get a new one with backlight but my current one (a filco tenkeyless) is too damn good I don't want it go to waste.

Not the best quality photo but you get the idea.IMG_20170707_000021788.thumb.jpg.afb7c0074fdd8406cf4f027db47977e2.jpg

Last time I used a mechanical keyboard was in the 90s I think?

I got this k70 rapidfire about  two months ago and I'm loving it. Keys are a bit loud for my taste but It could be worse. Other than that I'm really happy with it

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire