Low image quality on newer GPUs

Demiqas
7 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Lol, all is well of course. ;) It's frustrating when people keep posting videos showing normal aliasing effects as if it's some kind of new problem we've never seen before. 9_9

So, to try and create a summary (and get some feedback) once again, where do we stand on these issues?  I've put in what I think:

• We're ignoring all but the aliasing "problems" (really?  I think we could keep looking into this since that is definitely not something that everyone experiences (talking about render distance shadow problem))
  • We've established aliasing is more noticeable on lower ppi displays (well, duh :)  I hope this wasn't a revelation for anyone)
  • We've established that many games, even with high end anti-aliasing turn on - still look quite aliased (I don't think anyone can deny this - it's obvious in many videos an images)
    • Is this really a problem, or can the game simply not look any better at the given ppi?  (It is a problem - I proved that the game can look better.  Why it doesn't is the focus here)
      • Is this a problem only some people have or is it "normal" for that game?  (I think I agree with you that it is actually the latter)
      • Regardless, is there anything we can do about it?  What would be required to address it?  Changes by GPU makers?  Game devs?  Changes to DX?

I'm still following this too and want to keep looking into it for curiosity's sake.  What's your take on these points?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

I'm just surprised you're still posting in here. I would've left a long time ago. xD But I figured you must be bored or something. ha

Main reason I'm still here is because if there really IS an actual issue as claimed, I want to know and help find a solution. So far, I still have not seen sufficient evidence to support the claims. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

17 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

My monitor have recommended resolution on 1920x1080,it can go to 2560x1440 but everything is too small after that.Also in witcher 3 i play on 1920x1080 and changing to 2560x1440 changes nothing only got fps drop...

8 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Main reason I'm still here is because if there really IS an actual issue as claimed, I want to know and help find a solution. So far, I still have not seen sufficient evidence to support the claims. 

What about my video footage on AC:Syndicate, it's obvious that something going on there and its not normal... and you have stated that you agree that the image is different with your experience with the same setting... heuheu

On 1/18/2016 at 2:17 AM, MEC-777 said:

Already I've seen a noticeable difference between @silverhawk and myself in AC:Syndicate, where the game looks better on my PC using 4xMSAA vs silverhawk using the same settings. Could be some evidence there in proving if this is a real issue or not, but we need more examples like this, IMO. If we see a trend emerging where there is consistent differences like this, then we'll know for sure if there's something going on. Basically; we need more supportive evidence from those making the claims.

and just for a reminder,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwEfRO_8F21vTTB4NGJ5T2NUdG8/view?usp=sharing

Does anybody have issues on desktop, with fonts or pictures displayed too sharp or blurry ?Capture.PNG.97e0ae11a9f919ea8de09b468fe2

It is not everywhere though, but really annoying. At the opposite, somme softwares like Blender have a blurry effect on texts.

I thought it was the resolution (1440p) but texts are vectors, so it can't be normal.

Btw, got ClearType activated and calibrated, and elements are not scaled up.

Here is a blurry example.

Capture2.PNG.2e8ed3bc1561a4f335ea5170fbd

Something similar happens if I try to watch a Youtube video in 1080p not in fullscreen. The image is way to sharp and aliased. Like if the downscale wasn't working. Maybe this is a normal issue though.

I already tried to activate anti-aliasing in the control panel, with no results.

EDIT : Tried with a 1080p monitor, issue still there. So it's not 1440p related.

Edited by Miscellaneous

EDIT : I putted back all Nvidia settings by default with Nvidia Inspector and everything seems normal again. My bad ^_^

16 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So, to try and create a summary (and get some feedback) once again, where do we stand on these issues?  I've put in what I think:

• We're ignoring all but the aliasing "problems" (really?  I think we could keep looking into this since that is definitely not something that everyone experiences (talking about render distance shadow problem))
  • We've established aliasing is more noticeable on lower ppi displays (well, duh :)  I hope this wasn't a revelation for anyone)
  • We've established that many games, even with high end anti-aliasing turn on - still look quite aliased (I don't think anyone can deny this - it's obvious in many videos an images)
    • Is this really a problem, or can the game simply not look any better at the given ppi?  (It is a problem - I proved that the game can look better.  Why it doesn't is the focus here)
      • Is this a problem only some people have or is it "normal" for that game?  (I think I agree with you that it is actually the latter)
      • Regardless, is there anything we can do about it?  What would be required to address it?  Changes by GPU makers?  Game devs?  Changes to DX?

I'm still following this too and want to keep looking into it for curiosity's sake.  What's your take on these points?

I know you proved the image can be made to look better (improved the AA), but look how you did it. You took a screenshot and photo-shopped it. The game's engine is having to render the image/environment in real-time, on the fly. It doesn't have the luxury of fixing aliasing like that for every single frame/image rendered. I don't know that much about the inner workings of games and how these AA filters are applied by the GPU, but what we see in-game is (I'm assuming) as good as it can be, based on how the game was made. You'll notice the heavier, most effective forms of AA filtering are the hardest and most demanding on GPUs. The game devs probably make a decision to have a more balanced approach so that even the highest forms of AA available for a given game, won't absolutely tank performance (though it does in some cases). The effectiveness of the highest level of AA filtering available in each game will vary. Some games look better with moderate levels of AA while other games still look bad with full AA applied. ROTTR looks better with FXAA than it does with SSAAx4. It's game-dependent. Do we call it a problem if that's simply the way the game is? The reality is; it's "normal for that game". I certainly would not call it a problem or conspiracy on the GPU/drivers side of things and like I've said before - the only thing we can do about it is to upgrade to a higher ppi display. 

I also believe people's standards for visual quality are and have been shifting in the last 2 years as higher ppi displays become the norm. Phones, tablets, laptops etc. are all higher ppi and we stare at these devices all day. Then we sit down at our 24"+ 1080p displays with half the ppi and wonder why it's not as sharp and or why we can see all this aliasing? Not such a mystery to me. ;)

We need to consider the facts, what is possible/not possible, and apply some common sense.

8 hours ago, silverhawk said:

What about my video footage on AC:Syndicate, it's obvious that something going on there and its not normal... and you have stated that you agree that the image is different with your experience with the same setting... heuheu

and just for a reminder,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwEfRO_8F21vTTB4NGJ5T2NUdG8/view?usp=sharing

Yep, this and one other video (Witcher 2 with severe close proximity texture/object/shadow pop-in) are the only examples I've seen that showed unusual graphical anomalies that cannot be explained based on the settings being used. The only two examples out of all the people claiming to have problems. This is why I said I haven't seen sufficient evidence. If more people presented the same issues you two have, then it would be a more compelling case.

There very well may be something going on with your systems, I would suggest re-installing drivers and test out different in-game settings (not NVCP settings) to see if that makes any difference. If not and if you already have tried that, then I don't have an answer for you. But I highly doubt it is because the GPU has some how "degraded" on it's own over a period of time. Until someone can show us a valid explanation of how that could be possible, I will remain skeptical on this matter. If there truly is something going on, it is most likely software-related.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

2 hours ago, Miscellaneous said:

Does anybody have issues on desktop, with fonts or pictures displayed too sharp or blurry ?Capture.PNG.97e0ae11a9f919ea8de09b468fe2

It is not everywhere though, but really annoying. At the opposite, somme softwares like Blender have a blurry effect on texts.

I thought it was the resolution (1440p) but texts are vectors, so it can't be normal.

Btw, got ClearType activated and calibrated, and elements are not scaled up.

Here is a blurry example.

Something similar happens if I try to watch a Youtube video in 1080p not in fullscreen. The image is way to sharp and aliased. Like if the downscale wasn't working. Maybe this is a normal issue though.

I already tried to activate anti-aliasing in the control panel, with no results.

EDIT : Tried with a 1080p monitor, issue still there. So it's not 1440p related.

Check your custom text size DPI settings. Should be set to 100%. Also, make sure your resolution is set to the monitor's native resolution (it probably is, but doesn't hurt to double check). 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

I know you proved the image can be made to look better (improved the AA), but look how you did it. You took a screenshot and photo-shopped it. The game's engine is having to render the image/environment in real-time, on the fly. It doesn't have the luxury of fixing aliasing like that for every single frame/image rendered. I don't know that much about the inner workings of games and how these AA filters are applied by the GPU, but what we see in-game is (I'm assuming) as good as it can be, based on how the game was made. You'll notice the heavier, most effective forms of AA filtering are the hardest and most demanding on GPUs. The game devs probably make a decision to have a more balanced approach so that even the highest forms of AA available for a given game, won't absolutely tank performance (though it does in some cases). The effectiveness of the highest level of AA filtering available in each game will vary. Some games look better with moderate levels of AA while other games still look bad with full AA applied. ROTTR looks better with FXAA than it does with SSAAx4. It's game-dependent. Do we call it a problem if that's simply the way the game is? The reality is; it's "normal for that game". I certainly would not call it a problem or conspiracy on the GPU/drivers side of things and like I've said before - the only thing we can do about it is to upgrade to a higher ppi display. 

I also believe people's standards for visual quality are and have been shifting in the last 2 years as higher ppi displays become the norm. Phones, tablets, laptops etc. are all higher ppi and we stare at these devices all day. Then we sit down at our 24"+ 1080p displays with half the ppi and wonder why it's not as sharp and or why we can see all this aliasing? Not such a mystery to me. ;)

We need to consider the facts, what is possible/not possible, and apply some common sense.

Yep, this and one other video (Witcher 2 with severe close proximity texture/object/shadow pop-in) are the only examples I've seen that showed unusual graphical anomalies that cannot be explained based on the settings being used. The only two examples out of all the people claiming to have problems. This is why I said I haven't seen sufficient evidence. If more people presented the same issues you two have, then it would be a more compelling case.

There very well may be something going on with your systems, I would suggest re-installing drivers and test out different in-game settings (not NVCP settings) to see if that makes any difference. If not and if you already have tried that, then I don't have an answer for you. But I highly doubt it is because the GPU has some how "degraded" on it's own over a period of time. Until someone can show us a valid explanation of how that could be possible, I will remain skeptical on this matter. If there truly is something going on, it is most likely software-related.

Gotta agree with you about higher ppi displays. But thing is, i've been since 5 years on 15-inch laptop displays at 1080p native, and it's the first time i see as bad shimmering/aliasing as it can be, but it might be too hard to take notice on a video, even more so on a picture. Games with TXAA feature can get rid of it thought, tried on Splinter Cell Blacklist and AC IV Black Flag.

As for Witcher 2, Witcher 3 pop-in/shadows and such, i really don't know. I'm sure i played both games at first without this issue, but as more patches got released, lod got worse (Witcher 3 for that instance), i notice on some forums that some people had that problem too on Witcher 2, back 5 years ago. Even watching Gopher playthrough of it shows the same popin weirdness, so I really don't know. And no, reinstalling drivers, old or new, don't change a thing, as much as tweaking IG settings, for my case.

Got holidays next week, so I will be able to record some gameplay. I'm replaying since few days Resident Evil 5 at max settings, there's still pop-ins but its way less noticeable than any open (or semi open) world games, and aliasing is still too much pronounced @1080p resolution + 32xCSAA, or x8 AA)

Oh and, here is a video uploaded by a user on the french forum where i'm discussing this issue, he have the same symptoms of bad aliasing and pop ins. He sent his GPU back to the website where he bought it for test, and they claimed everything was normal, so it's definitely not on the GPU side.

OK I took a brand new never used ps4 (got rid of my pc) and took it to a different house to hook it up for the first time. No pop in, shadow, or irregular aliasing issues. I played it in this house for two days with no problems.

I then took it to my house and played.  What do you know, major pop in, super jagged shadows, and shimmering everywhere. The difference is overwhelming and immediately noticeable.  NO THIS IS NOT NORMAL.  You can say that it is normal forever but that won't make it so.

HERE ARE THE ONLY TWO DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE TWO HOUSES:

1.The house where the game worked properly had new wiring and a circuit breaker. My house has old wiring and a fuse box.

2.The two houses had different modems and internet.

Draw your own conclusions, but this should NOT be happening.

13 minutes ago, tsrbino said:

OK I took a brand new never used ps4 (got rid of my pc) and took it to a different house to hook it up for the first time. No pop in, shadow, or irregular aliasing issues. I played it in this house for two days with no problems.

I then took it to my house and played.  What do you know, major pop in, super jagged shadows, and shimmering everywhere. The difference is overwhelming and immediately noticeable.  NO THIS IS NOT NORMAL.  You can say that it is normal forever but that won't make it so.

1.The house where the game worked properly had new wiring and a circuit breaker. My house has old wiring and a fuse box.

It cannot be power-related. The PSU and VRM of the device cleans and conditions the power before it gets to the CPU/GPU which makes it virtually impossible to be power-related.  Even if some how the GPU did receive unclean power outside of normal safe limits to the point where it affected it's operation, what you would see is artifacting (random coloured pixels/lines and screen flickering) or it would simply just shut down. It would not and could not effect the way the game is being rendered in such a specific way. 

What you are describing can only be software-related, if what you say is actually happening. How it didn't occur at your friend's house and suddenly does at your house, I don't know. It would help if you could have showed game play recorded footage of before and after.

Have you taken it back to your friend's house to see if the problem persists?  

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, MEC-777 said:

Check your custom text size DPI settings. Should be set to 100%. Also, make sure your resolution is set to the monitor's native resolution (it probably is, but doesn't hurt to double check). 

DPI is set to 100%, and resolution is okay too. But as I said, I reverted all Nvidia settings to default and this issue is gone now.

2 hours ago, tsrbino said:

Did you use the same TV/Monitor in both houses ? Do you see this issue on some game play videos on YouTube ?

1 hour ago, Miscellaneous said:

DPI is set to 100%, and resolution is okay too. But as I said, I reverted all Nvidia settings to default and this issue is gone now.

Ah, yes. I always recommend people don't touch any of the NVCP settings aside from antistropic filtering to x16 and maybe DSR if they want to use that. There's maybe 1 or 2 other settings that are OK to tweak, but everything else should be left at default. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

Just signed up to this forum to support this witch hunt.

I initially thought something was wrong with a 34UM95 which I ended up returning for all the flickers in Witcher 3.

Now I'm back on a 24" 1080p and it's crazy. I've got the loading bubble around the character in both GTA V and Witcher 3 on this brand new Z170, 6600k, GTX 970 build.

I've also tried DSR and even though it helps with draw distance issues and distant shadows (i think it no longer loads them - I'm quite baffled), the bubble is still around the character.

*Wouldn't even call it a bubble as in GTA V it's clearly a square shape around the character.

**I just uploaded these 2 videos short notice and can provide more. I'm pretty confident I can reproduce the scenario for any type of visual inaccuracy described around here.

All I have to say regarding this issue and given I've researched it for the past 3 hours is that it seems somehow connected to DirectX.

Most users started complaining post-DirectX 11.2 and the whole Windows 8 launch from what I've been reading and some even raise concerns with ENB. Now I'm no tech savvy fella but I have been building PCs my entire life so I really think it all relates to DirectX's APIs and they're interaction with the drivers.

From here on out I might not be making any sense (tread carefully):

As to the conspiracy, I have not read about AMD cards since they're not really my concern and haven't been since like... the 2000's and don't know if they face the same issues.

But if AMD has no visual issues I think nVidia somehow rigged the DirectX with their own awareness in order to maximize performance and get the edge on AMD cards. I mean we already know their business practices are not that orthodox - see PhysX. Just a thought...

12 hours ago, Miscellaneous said:

Did you use the same TV/Monitor in both houses ? Do you see this issue on some game play videos on YouTube ?

Yes I did use the same tv in both houses.  Yes I see this issue in some youtube videos but not others.

I know this is a forum for pc gamers who probably couldn't care less about consoles but ignoring the FACT that these exact same things are happening on both platforms is depriving us of important clues.

This is not happening on all consoles and is not happening on all pcs, just some. Something is wrong. Damn it, if you don't want to believe this that's fine, but people who say this is normal are just plain wrong and you are NOT helping by saying that it's normal and explaining how AA works (we all know how AA works).  I am not referring specifically to you Miscellaneous so don't take offense.

I game on both console and pc and am positive that the same issue is present on both. I don't care if someone says that's impossible because they are wrong. PERIOD. I would not waste my time lying about this shit.

I'm just going to paste the previous post you were referring to in your question so no one is confused. Here it is:

13 hours ago, bosper said:

Just signed up to this forum to support this witch hunt.

I initially thought something was wrong with a 34UM95 which I ended up returning for all the flickers in Witcher 3.

Now I'm back on a 24" 1080p and it's crazy. I've got the loading bubble around the character in both GTA V and Witcher 3 on this brand new Z170, 6600k, GTX 970 build.

I've also tried DSR and even though it helps with draw distance issues and distant shadows (i think it no longer loads them - I'm quite baffled), the bubble is still around the character.

*Wouldn't even call it a bubble as in GTA V it's clearly a square shape around the character.

**I just uploaded these 2 videos short notice and can provide more. I'm pretty confident I can reproduce the scenario for any type of visual inaccuracy described around here.

All I have to say regarding this issue and given I've researched it for the past 3 hours is that it seems somehow connected to DirectX.

Most users started complaining post-DirectX 11.2 and the whole Windows 8 launch from what I've been reading and some even raise concerns with ENB. Now I'm no tech savvy fella but I have been building PCs my entire life so I really think it all relates to DirectX's APIs and they're interaction with the drivers.

From here on out I might not be making any sense (tread carefully):

As to the conspiracy, I have not read about AMD cards since they're not really my concern and haven't been since like... the 2000's and don't know if they face the same issues.

But if AMD has no visual issues I think nVidia somehow rigged the DirectX with their own awareness in order to maximize performance and get the edge on AMD cards. I mean we already know their business practices are not that orthodox - see PhysX. Just a thought...

The game can't render all the details at the highest quality up to a kilometer around you, because then you'd be getting 1 fps with a Titan X and 5960X and people would crucify the developer for not "optimizing" the game. That's the point of LOD and draw distance, to decrease the complexity of an object representation as it moves away from the viewer and not to render objects beyond the specified draw distance. GTA V and TW3 are open world games, already very demanding on hardware. Imagine what would happen if LOD and draw distance were at a higher setting. I'm pretty sure you can even do some .ini tweaks to change the draw distance and LOD settings beyond what in-game settings allow, but good luck running the game smoothly at 1080p.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

5 hours ago, Monarch said:

The game can't render all the details at the highest quality up to a kilometer around you, because then you'd be getting 1 fps with a Titan X and 5960X and people would crucify the developer for not "optimizing" the game. That's the point of LOD and draw distance, to decrease the complexity of an object representation as it moves away from the viewer and not to render objects beyond the specified draw distance. GTA V and TW3 are open world games, already very demanding on hardware. Imagine what would happen if LOD and draw distance were at a higher setting. I'm pretty sure you can even do some .ini tweaks to change the draw distance and LOD settings beyond what in-game settings allow, but good luck running the game smoothly at 1080p.

I believe the complaint is that the proximity at which the LOD changes is very close (too close) to the character, where it wasn't like this when they've played the game previously. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong in my description). In GTA5 a lot of people have experienced and shown (can easily search YT videos) where there is a visible "box" very close to the character (approx 6-10 feet around) where the LOD changes. Mostly visible in the shadow detail on the ground. I've seen this myself, but IMO it's so subtle most of the time I don't notice. Perhaps some people are more sensitive to things like this than others? Anyways, that's what the complaint was. Not the fact that the LOD changes with draw distance but that it changes drastically very close to the player/character.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

I believe the complaint is that the proximity at which the LOD changes is very close (too close) to the character, where it wasn't like this when they've played the game previously. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong in my description). In GTA5 a lot of people have experienced and shown (can easily search YT videos) where there is a visible "box" very close to the character (approx 6-10 feet around) where the LOD changes. Mostly visible in the shadow detail on the ground. I've seen this myself, but IMO it's so subtle most of the time I don't notice. Perhaps some people are more sensitive to things like this than others? Anyways, that's what the complaint was. Not the fact that the LOD changes with draw distance but that it changes drastically very close to the player/character.

I know, but it has to change very close to the player. You can do .ini tweaks in most games to increase the draw distance, but it will have a big impact on performance. You remember how people complained about performance hit from shadow distance in Fallout 4? People were mad at the developer for "not optimizing" the game.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

I genuinely am not noticing the bad image quality in the screenshots in the first image, nor have I experienced the reliability issues as described by other contributors in the thread.

3 hours ago, Monarch said:

I know, but it has to change very close to the player. You can do .ini tweaks in most games to increase the draw distance, but it will have a big impact on performance. You remember how people complained about performance hit from shadow distance in Fallout 4? People were mad at the developer for "not optimizing" the game.

The thing is they are claiming it didn't used to change that close to the player before and it does now (or is much more noticeable now). 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

The thing is they are claiming it didn't used to change that close to the player before and it does now (or is much more noticeable now). 

well, with regard to the shadow thing in GTA, I've never noticed that happening to my game, and when I saw that I went in to the game to check (now knowing what to look for) and it definitely was not happening.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Yeah, i've got the same issue

I know the exact moment it started, back in December. I was playing Rust (game on steam) - I turned my settings all the way down and back up again (Just wanted to see what the game looked like all on low) upon restoring my settings to how they were, I got the shimmering/ flickering shadows, the texture pop-in and the same is now true for every game from that moment. 

For now, i'm avoiding open world games as they're just painful on the eye. i've tried The Division Beta - for me, that actually gives me a headache due to the distant shimmering/ flickering

On 20/2/2016 at 7:47 AM, tsrbino said:

Yes I did use the same tv in both houses.  Yes I see this issue in some youtube videos but not others.

I know this is a forum for pc gamers who probably couldn't care less about consoles but ignoring the FACT that these exact same things are happening on both platforms is depriving us of important clues.

This is not happening on all consoles and is not happening on all pcs, just some. Something is wrong. Damn it, if you don't want to believe this that's fine, but people who say this is normal are just plain wrong and you are NOT helping by saying that it's normal and explaining how AA works (we all know how AA works).  I am not referring specifically to you Miscellaneous so don't take offense.

I game on both console and pc and am positive that the same issue is present on both. I don't care if someone says that's impossible because they are wrong. PERIOD. I would not waste my time lying about this shit.

I'm just going to paste the previous post you were referring to in your question so no one is confused. Here it is:

Just out of curiosity... have you tried bringing the ps4 and monitor back to your friend's house? If so it goes back to normal or does it still look ugly?

I never used to notice the LOD changes in Gran Turismo on PS1 but now i do...

Must mean the game has degraded or the PS1 has /s

CONSOLE KILLER: Pentium III 700mhz . 512MB RAM . 3DFX VOODOO 3 SLi

On 20-2-2016 at 2:35 PM, Monarch said:

Ok, and what do you do when after optimizing the settings the game still looks like garbage as if your changes didn't have any effect at all? Or when you enable 8x SSAA and aliasing is still all over the place as if you didn't apply any AA at 1080p (ofcourse I am talking about games with proper AA support).