Tech Gifts for Non-techies Giveaway!

My mother has never really been too big into tech. She got an iPad for christmas a few years ago and she's been using these god awful pc speakers to play music from for as long as she's had it. Sadly, I'm a college student and can't really afford to go out and buy her a new setup. She's been wanting to get into this fancy "new" thing she keeps hearing about (bluetooth), and has absolutely no idea what to buy. She ended up getting a small AA battery powered speaker with a 3.5mm jack to plug into her ipad that sounds almost worse than her current speakers. I feel so bad for her. I'm a music major and hearing her blast music on partially blown 10 year old PC speakers is killing me. She's also the type of person who loves to play music as loudly as possible so I'm thinking she needs something that packs quite a bit of a punch.

The other thing is that she really enjoys sitting outside with her friends. For this she brings a really old radio outside and has a crazy long extension cord running all the way into our kitchen. Having a bluetooth speaker would make it so she could easily just bring the thing outside and let it play. Please consider saving my ears and heping me out on this one. She's gone through lot this past year with a few losses in the family, and I really wanna do something really nice for her. She's always been there for me when I need it, and music is the one thing that we both share a deep love for. Thank you so much for reading this.

Here's the link to the product that I picked out: http://www.amazon.com/Bose-SoundLink-Bluetooth-Speaker-III/dp/B00HWSXVDG/ref=sr_1_5?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1449990619&sr=1-5&keywords=bluetooth+speakers&refinements=p_89%3ABose

I chose the Bose Soundlink III because I read a lot of great reviews on it and it'd be a device that I could teach her how to use in a matter of minutes, and she'd be able to get a lot of use out of it.

Edit: The price of the product went up to over $300 so I went back and chose the same speaker without the attachment.

A nice TCL 40 Inch 1080p Tv would be great to replace that 5 year old 24 inch 480p tv that my father is still using... :/

Link: TCL 40 Inch

http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Ouroboros-Elite-Ambidextrous-Gaming/dp/B00EWEHI5K/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1449818441&sr=1-1&keywords=razer+ouroboros

I want to get my brother a new mouse because he still uses this really small and crappy logitech wireless mouse that was part of a keyboard combo and it runs on like AAA batteries which die after like a couple of hours. Somehow he still plays pc games with that mouse but every so often the mouse dies in the middle of a game and he struggle to find new batteries.

I would really love if my parents could just have actual speakers to go with there TV for better sound. Nothing too fancy like 7.1 surround since we have a small living room, but just a couple of gooood TV speakers so that they can enjoy their shows better! :D

I would like to give my parents an Apple TV (I know Amazon doesn't have them), but it would be great for them to have it since they have apple devices, and that I just wanted them to make things easier to share for the whole family since they like to share a lot of pictures and videos to the family, and the small screen limits them to share everyone whatever they want to share. ($150)

So many 1 post accounts... More of a gift for the whole family but most likely this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014MIBLSA?psc=1 as we still have a crappy Gateway from our ISP, it would help when I game and when my mom uses skype or on Netflix. (Probably overkill but I'm not very network-savvy :P)

Thanks LTT!

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

Hey! So my little brother's hard drive on his PC is slowly failing, and so why not upgrade it a little while I'm at it? I was thinking a Samsung 850 PRO 512GB. Pretty cheap and more than enough storage for what he needs! http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LF10KTO/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1449818691&sr=8-6π=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=Samsung+850+1tb&dpPl=1&dpID=412M8LGGfrL&ref=plSrch

A toshiba Chromebook 2 CB35-C3300 for my brother. He is trying to learn how to get into the fun things you can do with computers. Think it would be fun to teach him how to do the command line stuff on this laptop and maybe install linux and have a fun way to play around linux. Plus minimal tech support from me if he uses it as just a chromebook. Win Win Win. 

http://us.toshiba.com/computers/laptops/chromebook/cb30-2/CB35-C3300?src=MAKX&cm_mmc=Affiliates-_-Linkshare&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-ST6zLh1osOU5kTSwwZz7TA

audio interface for my brother.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005OZE9SA/ref=s9_simh_gw_p267_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1BYS0N5FVBY4B2XGDQ3K&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2055621862&pf_rd_i=desktop

he has a career in music and his current interface leaves static noise while recording

also we're in langley ;)

Great idea in the video for making media streaming for parents easier. I have always thought of changing our current multi zone system in my parents house to Sonos. Currently I have set up 4 separate amplifiers all daisy chained to each other linked to the zone 2 out on their AV receiver. This is very complicated as you have to select the source for zone 2 manually and power each amp up individually. Another annoying factor is that you cannot have the same source on in zone 2 and the main zone at the same time.

The play:1 from Sonos seems like a great place to start. Later I would be looking at building onto the ecosystem with the amp you reviewed in you video as we already have in roof speakers installed.

Hopefully this in price range with shipping as I live in South Africa.

Great video keep up the good work and have a merry Christmas.

I've chosen my mom and dad.

Since as long as I can remember we've had issues with our wifi at home. After moving out things got even worse: The wifi on the router stopped working and their ISP rep suggested they get an access point. The store they bought this SMC Barricade (SMCWBR14S-N2) which in itself is a dissaster. It does a half ass job of being an access point on the ground level. I'm not even going to mention the upper floor. So I've decided that mom and pap need to get a propper wifi setup.

Link

I would like to get my parents an Intel Compute stick. That way they can use their TV as a PC in the Living room without having to fire up their little poopy Acer Netbook from 2012. My dad likes using my Mac and desktop for checking his Game Cameras (Its hunting season down here) while I'm home so I figured its a relatively inexpensive and useful solution. 

Well my nana has a 9 and a half year old pc i am naggin her to get an up grade and she says no my current pc is fine even though it takes 13 minutes to start up so i would get her the hp stream 13 its a simple laptop for browsing emails and checking internet because we say that she sends us snail mail by how slow it is.

Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-13-3-Inch-Celeron-Personal/dp/B015CQ8PNA/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449825850&sr=1-1&keywords=hp+stream+13 

Thanks good luck too everyone !!!!!  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

Thanks for the awesome giveaway idea. If I had a choice, I would try and give my parents a good router for their house. Fitting the price point, I chose the Linksys WRT AC1900 wireless router. They currently own a motorola surfboard 6121 and although it works, since my family has slowly been adding smartphones into the house, they want coverage everywhere and the surfboard has its limits. One again thank you.

Link: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014MIBLSA?psc=1

I would get my dad a Dell U2415 1920x1200 monitor. 

He spends a lot of his time at his PC for work. but has an awful, 1:1 aspect ration monitor from about 7 years ago. He's always switching between windows to do work, so having a nicer, higher res monitor will allow him to have windows open side by side for faster work. Plus, it would look miles better than the one he has currently. 

http://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2415-24-Inch-1920-Monitor/dp/B00NZTKOQI/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1449826021&sr=1-2

My wife is a clumsy, reckless non-techie who always manages to destroy any piece of electronics she gets. But, I still love her...

In just two months she managed to break the mobo (!) of her Acer AO 756 and completely trash a brand new smartphone I gave her for our anniversary. Of course she always blames our 2 yr old daughter for her mishaps with gadgets...

I'll manage to repair the netbook, but the phone is beyond repair and I'd like to give her something she'll have trouble destroying. I found a perfect thing for her (she's actually in love with this type of phones): http://www.amazon.com/Funmate-4-7inch-Waterproof-Octa-core-Walkietalkie/dp/B01123JAXG/ref=sr_1_19?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1449827132&sr=1-19&keywords=rugged&refinements=p_n_condition-type%3A6503240011%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A6215729011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_six_browse-bin%3A8079970011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_three_browse-bin%3A7805164011

Pleaaaaase, give her this and save me for at least a year (I give her that much before she accidentally drops the phone in some lava or something like that)!

Such a great idea! And this one is easy; the Apple TV. To my mom and dad, (mainly mom). 

And here is why:

For years, my mom has been against technology the last 24 years, until 2 years ago when she got her first iPad. And later iPhone. And that is when things changed. Suddenly we had to get a good internet connection at our summerhouse, sitting with the phone (or ipad) in the living room was suddenly okay, and beeing able to charge the device in every room was a must.

But that was all, she saw no further use for technology (buying a flatscreen TV was a one year project for my dad, and the old one might have stopped working when the TV he wanted was on sale). When pictures are beeing shown to guests while sitting in the living room, the phone is passed to everyone. And the TV is blank. Music is played, but from the phone - not the TV:s speakers etc. This is why I think that a Apple TV (I've tried to het her to buy it herself, but she wont :( ) would change my parents life to the better. And with the new Apple TV they could watch movies and listen to music from my Plex server. This is why the Apple TV would be the best gift to my parents - and it would probably allow my dad to get new speakers for the TV and hopefully change my moms view on technology! :D

//Magto

I'd want to gift my mom a Asus Chromebook Flip

She always watches her TV shows and videos on her tiny smartphone screen, since she doesn't like using anything without a touch screen. (I tried giving her my C720 chromebook, but she kept trying to use it as a touchscreen even though I told her every time that it wasn't a touchscreen ;_; )

I'd think that a chromebook is a simple and friendly way to get her to use a bigger screen so her eyes aren't so strained all the time. The Asus is both touchscreen and is convertible, which should be a lot easier for her to use.

link: http://www.amazon.com/Chromebook-10-1-Inch-Convertible-Touchscreen-Rockchip/dp/B00ZS4HK0Q/

Thanks!

I would get my oldest brother a new mechanical keyboard seeing as I upgraded his pc this year but he still uses some old Walmart membrane one and this one would be perfect-

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009C98NPY?keywords=mechanical%20keyboard&qid=1449830869&ref_=sr_1_3_m&refinements=p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin%3A3766188011%2Cp_72%3A1248879011&s=pc&sr=1-3

This is the first time I'm posting in the linus tech tips forum and it may be a long shot to win this since A) I live in the Philippines and B) we have no local amazon.

My Mom went through a lot this year and it hasn't been easy for her. So I would like to help her organize her files for work and with that I would request for a personal cloud storage.

http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Personal-Network-Attached-Storage/dp/B00EVVGAC6/ref=zg_bs_13436301_4

This way she wouldn't need to go back home just in case she forgot a file for work or something.. happens more often than you think.

Thank You!

Asus chromebit to my dad, he is always travelling and i wanna buy an logitech keyboard with tracking pad.He have some back problems so it would be nice to him to lie on bad while the chromebit is on the hotel tv.Thanks everyone.