Proper overclocking with Z77X-UDH5 and I5 3570k?

Colt83

I just changed the multiplier from 34 to 42 and that's about all i can achieve with my air cooled unit. Can someone tell me step by step how to achieve a greater/stable oc?

Is it the temperatures that are limiting you or is your system blue screening that is preventing you to go higher? If it is the temperatures, then you need to get a better cooler in order to go higher. If it is blue screening, it means that your system is not stable on that clock. You would need to increase your voltage but increasing voltage will increase the heat generated by the cpu. What are your temps and voltage on your cpu on that overclock?

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Is it the temperatures that are limiting you or is your system blue screening that is preventing you to go higher? If it is the temperatures, then you need to get a better cooler in order to go higher. If it is blue screening, it means that your system is not stable on that clock. You would need to increase your voltage but increasing voltage will increase the heat generated by the cpu. What are your temps and voltage on your cpu on that overclock?
With the multiplier set to 42 i reach temps around 55 to 65c. Once i go any higher using this simple method it then gets into an uncomfortable temp zone reaching 80+ quick.

are those your temps during prime95,or are they your gaming or everyday use temps?

because those are great temps if it's prime95,but terrible if it's everyday use temps or gaming temps.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

do you have an aftermarket cooler or are you running on the stock hsf?

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

are those your temps during prime95,or are they your gaming or everyday use temps?

because those are great temps if it's prime95,but terrible if it's everyday use temps or gaming temps.

Those are temps running prime95.

What voltage are you running your cpu at?

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

This is a brand new custom gaming rig i just built. I'm just new to overclocking is all :) I have the cooler master V8 and a high air flow case as well. I did wonder about one thing though....With the oc procedure i did, the core speed drops to 1.6 when not in use and will boost up to either 2 or 4.2 when needed. Is this natural and ok for the system? I know it'll use less power this way and stay cooler so that's great, but is there a better way to do this? Maybe i could get it to drop only down to say 3ghz and boost to 4.2?

This is a brand new custom gaming rig i just built. I'm just new to overclocking is all :) I have the cooler master V8 and a high air flow case as well. I did wonder about one thing though....With the oc procedure i did' date=' the core speed drops to 1.6 when not in use and will boost up to either 2 or 4.2 when needed. Is this natural and ok for the system? I know it'll use less power this way and stay cooler so that's great, but is there a better way to do this? Maybe i could get it to drop only down to say 3ghz and boost to 4.2?[/quote']

Yes, when the system is on idle it'll down clock to around 1.5-1.6 Ghz. When you make it work it will boost up to the OC settings you give it. I don't know how you can set it to stay at 3.0 GHz at minimum instead of 1.6, I think that's embedded somewhere in the system. What are your voltages btw?

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

This is a brand new custom gaming rig i just built. I'm just new to overclocking is all :) I have the cooler master V8 and a high air flow case as well. I did wonder about one thing though....With the oc procedure i did' date=' the core speed drops to 1.6 when not in use and will boost up to either 2 or 4.2 when needed. Is this natural and ok for the system? I know it'll use less power this way and stay cooler so that's great, but is there a better way to do this? Maybe i could get it to drop only down to say 3ghz and boost to 4.2?[/quote']

Yes, when the system is on idle it'll down clock to around 1.5-1.6 Ghz. When you make it work it will boost up to the OC settings you give it. I don't know how you can set it to stay at 3.0 GHz at minimum instead of 1.6, I think that's embedded somewhere in the system. What are your voltages btw?

Ok, good to hear this. My core voltage is around 1.020 to 1.12 at load

Oh and would you know anything about why my ram was defaulted to 1333mhz when i first booted this thing up? I went and changed the settings to make it run in profile 1 at 1600mhz.

With just changing the multiplier, obviously your bios is pumping to much voltage in to maitain the higher overclock, which equals a lot more heat. Try manually setting your vcore. If at 4.2 the system is using 1.12 - then give it a little extra and try 4.3, and so on. Give a quick test at prime95 to make sure temps are ok and you don't blue screen right away. Also, might want to set the LLC at 100% - helps with stability sometimes. Just don't use anytmore the 1.4V on a 7/24 OC - that is the highest recommended by Intel.

The process of OC'ing can be VERY tedious while you test very minor changes one way or the other to get a good OC.

And finally... maybe you "lost" the silicon lottery and your CPU maxs out at 4.2. Very possible. Some chips are good OCers and others.. well, not so good.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Well, thanks very much for the info. Tomorrow after work i'm going to sit around here and try to get the most out of this cpu since it's made for overclocking. I'm hoping for a stable 4.4 with my air cooled setup.

Well, thanks very much for the info. Tomorrow after work i'm going to sit around here and try to get the most out of this cpu since it's made for overclocking. I'm hoping for a stable 4.4 with my air cooled setup.
use Prime95 in blend mode and run it at least 12 hours to make sure your cpu is stable. Be sure to monitor your temps when you are doing this.

Oh and would you know anything about why my ram was defaulted to 1333mhz when i first booted this thing up? I went and changed the settings to make it run in profile 1 at 1600mhz.

I have a Z77-UD3H, so it's not the exact same board as yours but its still pretty similar. usually motherboards will default at 1333Mhz for ram and you will have to enable XMP to get it @ 1600 to overclock and stuff, that's normal too

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE