Best starter CPU?

What about the A10-7850K?

nah. they are all Athlon 860k with iGPUs that are strong.

you are better off with a FX 6300/I3 4170 + R9 380 then you EVER will be with a A10 7850k or 7870k APU...

Ive built several APU systems, and while they are great in certain settings, they really suck in others.

However, if you do not mind playing at only 30FPS in most AAA title games, then YES!, the A10 series are pretty damn good.

What about the A10-7850K?

The iGPU ain't enough - i3 + 380 is a much better deal.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

pentium g3258 paired with a z97 motherboard and a cheap cpu air cooler and 8 to 16 gb of ram and gtx750ti or gtx 950 and 450 w psu. Ideal pc budget configuration. you will rock all the gamed and with old games you will rock them at 4k  

G3258. Never touch an i3, just skip it and move to i5. Waste of money for a dual core and measly threads.

If you can get one used for cheap, then it's fine to go i3 but I'd go for a used i5 anyday.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

G3258. Never touch an i3, just skip it and move to i5. Waste of money for a dual core and measly threads.

If you can get one used for cheap, then it's fine to go i3 but I'd go for a used i5 anyday.

pentium g3258 paired with a z97 motherboard and a cheap cpu air cooler and 8 to 16 gb of ram and gtx750ti or gtx 950 and 450 w psu. Ideal pc budget configuration. you will rock all the gamed and with old games you will rock them at 4k  

shitties CPU on the market

you are better off with a Athlon 860k. costs the same, performs just plain better. Hell an i3 is far far far superior to any pentium will ever fucking be.

THE G3258 IS A FUCKING OVERCLOCKING TOY. NOT A REAL GAMING CPU. GET OVER IT AND REALIZE THE FACT

why is it shit?

because of minimum FPS being low. It CAN get like i7 MAX FPS, but you are more likely to dip below 30FPS in many titles, then you are likely to stay above for a long time.

There is countles videos proving this. Games like GTA V, Witcher 3, Crysis 3, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition and even Battlefield 4 struggles to keep a steady FPS.

shitties CPU on the market

you are better off with a Athlon 860k. costs the same, performs just plain better. Hell an i3 is far far far superior to any pentium will ever fucking be.

THE G3258 IS A FUCKING OVERCLOCKING TOY. NOT A REAL GAMING CPU. GET OVER IT AND REALIZE THE FACT

why is it shit?

because of minimum FPS being low. It CAN get like i7 MAX FPS, but you are more likely to dip below 30FPS in many titles, then you are likely to stay above for a long time.

There is countles videos proving this. Games like GTA V, Witcher 3, Crysis 3, Far Cry 4, Dragon Age Inquisition and even Battlefield 4 struggles to keep a steady FPS.

Games like GTA V, Witcher 3, Crysis 3, and Far Cry 4 aren't what a G3258 are for. Obviously you'd spend more money on a better hardware then a measly Pentium or i3 for that.

There is much more to games then graphics and triple A titles, G3258 can handle games just fine. Brighten up, please.

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

Games like GTA V, Witcher 3, Crysis 3, and Far Cry 4 aren't what a G3258 are for. Obviously you'd spend more money on a better hardware then a measly Pentium or i3 for that.

There is much more to games then graphics and triple A titles, G3258 can handle games just fine. Brighten up, please.

@

get a piece of this guy. He is hillarious......

@EvilWiffles

You can easily play AAA titles on a i3 or FX 6300.... EASILY...

but a G3258, hell na...

Get a i3 4370, that one is a piece of work. Great CPU really (x300 series is slightly higher clocked then x100 series)

@

@EvilWiffles

but a G3258, hell na...

Get a i3 4370, that one is a piece of work. Great CPU really (x300 series is slightly higher clocked then x100 series)

Rofpmsl. With my Core 2 Duo E8500 running at 4.5GHz (aka single threaded performance was matching that of my i5 4440) playing Crysis 3 was.....like....this...with...shit.....loads....of...stuttering. Switching to my Xeon X5450 which at stock is about the same as a Sandybridge i3  Crysis 3 became butter smooth despite the GPU bottleneck (I was using my GTX 970). The same goes for any modern game-my Xeon X5450 at stock is better than a Pentium G3258. People who think a straight dual core can handle games are really living in the past (or trying to justify their purchase).

Edit: Oh so he has a 4790K as well. In that case he should disable hyperthreading, disable 2 cores then try to play some games.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You could also look into the used market and get an i5 - xxxxk for $180 and literally be set for any major title for the foreseeable future. That would be my choice, even if I had to wait and save up a bit.  

@

@EvilWiffles

but a G3258, hell na...

An i3 can handle them, with hyper threading. I don't see any point of spending $100 on an i3 for just a very select few of games. If I had the choice, I'd buy the FX-6300 then the i3 but I'd still be more inclined to save my money and buy the G3258.

Regardless, i3 63% more expensive. Screw the i3 and go to the i5 with real cores where it actually matters.

An i3 can handle them, with hyper threading. I don't see any point of spending $100 on an i3 for just a very select few of games. If I had the choice, I'd buy the FX-6300 then the i3 but I'd still be more inclined to save my money and buy the G3258.

^Has never played games on any dual core.

PMSL

Cheapest FX 6300 setup:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($63.89 @ OutletPC)

Total: $162.78

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-17 19:48 EDT-0400

Cheapest i3 4170 setup THAT MATCHES THE SPECS OF THE FX SETUP (Crossfire, all Sata 3 6gb/s instead of sata 2)

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($114.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($70.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $185.86

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-17 19:54 EDT-0400

cheapest G3258 setup THAT MATCHES THE SPECS OF THE TWO OTHERS (Crossfire, all Sata3 6GB/s instead of Sata2)

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($64.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($72.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $137.87

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-17 19:51 EDT-0400

Cheapest Athlon 860k setup THAT MACHES THE SPECS OF THE THREE SETUPS ABOVE

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($70.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X PRO3+ ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $133.88

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-17 19:52 EDT-0400

The Athlon is better then the G3258... and it ends up being cheaper.

All setups are made to MATCH THE FXs MOBOS specs. That means Crossfire capable, and all Sata ports being Sata3 instead of some Sata3 and some Sata2....

YOU CAN GET A CHEAPER SETUP WITH INTEL, BUT THEN YOU LOSE QUITE A BIT OF FEATURES AS THE CHEAPER MOBOS ARE JUST PURE SHIT!

^Has never played games on any dual core.

I have played many games on a dual core. Even on an Intel Pentium P6100.

Dual cores can do games fine, it just really depends on what games we are referring too. Obviously gaming can be ANY game of any generation.

Cheapest FX 6300 setup:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock 970M PRO3 Micro ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard  ($63.89 @ OutletPC)

Total: $162.78

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-17 19:48 EDT-0400

Cheapest i3 setup THAT MATCHES THE SPECS OF THE FX SETUP (Crossfire, all Sata 3 6gb/s instead of sata 2)

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($114.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($70.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $185.86

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-17 19:54 EDT-0400

cheapest G3258 setup THAT MATCHES THE SPECS OF THE TWO OTHERS (Crossfire, all Sata3 6GB/s instead of Sata2)

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($64.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($72.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $137.87

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-17 19:51 EDT-0400

Cheapest Athlon 860k setup THAT MACHES THE SPECS OF THE THREE SETUPS ABOVE

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($70.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X PRO3+ ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $133.88

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-17 19:52 EDT-0400

The Athlon is better then the G3258... and it ends up being cheaper.

All setups are made to MATCH THE FXs MOBOS specs. That means Crossfire capable, and all Sata ports being Sata3 instead of some Sata3 and some Sata2....

YOU CAN GET A CHEAPER SETUP WITH INTEL, BUT THEN YOU LOSE QUITE A BIT OF FEATURES AS THE CHEAPER MOBOS ARE JUST PURE SHIT!

Go with the FX line and you're on a completely dead platform with no good CPU's to upgrade to. The G3258 is on Z97, perfect platform to upgrade on. Obviously you wouldn't buy into that when you want to at least play the most current games. You wasted money on a motherboard and a useless CPU, congratulations.

Anyways, let us move on with the thread of insults. Damn circlejerk forums of useless people and useless information.

Go with the FX line and you're on a completely dead platform with no good CPU's to upgrade to. The G3258 is on Z97, perfect platform to upgrade on. Obviously you wouldn't buy into that when you want to at least play the most current games. You wasted money on a motherboard and a useless CPU, congratulations.

You buy what gives you the best performance per dollar.

For the low end, get the Athlon 860k. It will outperform the G3258, and be marginally cheaper.

When buying a "starter" CPU, you must ask yourself, and the OP,

"Are you going to upgrade soon? or in a year?"

If you are going to upgrade in a year, better, cheaper parts can be had for Intel. So choosing AMD may not be a bad move. Perhaps in a year, when Zen comes out, you want to move to that.... if you "cheaped out" and went AMD right away, you can upgrade to a much stronger platform. Or you can go with Skylake (which should be way cheaper by then) and get an even stronger platform...

Haswell is at its end. Accept it and move on. Buying Haswell now with the intention of upgrading to stronger haswell parts later is just a novel thought, but not really a smart move. You'd be stuck with less performance then what is availible, and also with less parts being made for you. Hell, it has been proven that the new Skylake i7 matches the X99 5920k... a 6 core monster CPU is being trashed by a quad core with hyper-threading....

Haswell is at its end. Accept it and move on. Buying Haswell now with the intention of upgrading to stronger haswell parts later is just a novel thought, but not really a smart move. You'd be stuck with less performance then what is availible, and also with less parts being made for you. Hell, it has been proven that the new Skylake i7 matches the X99 5920k... a 6 core monster CPU is being trashed by a quad core with hyper-threading....

Duh. Z97 is a dead platform, go figure, every platform is gonna die off. AMD is already in the pits, there is no better option available on their platforms, why bother? You can buy either the G3258, a cheap i5, or upgrade to an i7. Compare that to the FX platform now, do you see how terrible the path would be per performance? Especially when we are talking about the 860k. Sure, it's much less in comparison to the Z97... It performs better per dollar but the FM2+ is terrible, goodluck finding a good upgrade on that.

If you are going to upgrade in a year, better, cheaper parts can be had for Intel. So choosing AMD may not be a bad move. Perhaps in a year, when Zen comes out, you want to move to that.... if you "cheaped out" and went AMD right away, you can upgrade to a much stronger platform. Or you can go with Skylake (which should be way cheaper by then) and get an even stronger platform...

We live in the now, not in the future. I hate the burst your bubble. Sure, when zen comes out, we can be sure if it'll be worth it. Till now, why invest in AMD unless you're willing to support them? Makes absolutely no sense. As far as "Are you going to be upgrading soon?", how the hell really knows? When I bought the FX-6300, I had no intentions of upgrading. I ended up doing that and as I look back, I REALLY wish I could have gotten the G3258 because it would've been much cheaper on my wallet and would've lasted me much longer.

For the low end, get the Athlon 860k. It will outperform the G3258, and be marginally cheaper.

Well, I'm glad we can at least agree on that. However, I still wouldn't recommend the 860k. It'd be nice for a very tight budget build, however, no one can really say if you'll be needing to upgrade or not. It's just not a very smart move.

If we are just going to insult each others preferences like every forum user, we should just cut it this short. Appears you can't share opinions without a bunch of people trying to insult them for it. Reminds me of TWI forums all over again, ask for help then everyone starts avoiding the question and instead insults everyone.

And the locked Skylake i5 are kicking ass as well (should have spent the extra $100 to get the 6700K-but oh well Pentium III 667>i5 4440>4790K are some really big leaps), which means that if you can afford one you'll be set for a while-especially considering the next 2 and maybe 3 generations are going to be s1151. At the moment since AMD isn't competing on the CPU side of things your better off sticking with what you have and then doing the upgrade to Skylake in 1 go. Zen might change that but there are only AMD's predictions to go off no actual evidence of the performance, and since Zen is supposed to come out in 2016-2017 you could save up enough in that time to go with Skylake and get performance that is better than AMD's predictions with the same features listed for Zen.

Duh. Z97 is a dead platform, go figure, every platform is gonna die off. AMD is already in the pits, there is no better option available on their platforms, why bother? You can buy either the G3258, a cheap i5, or upgrade to an i7. Compare that to the FX platform now, do you see how terrible the path would be per performance? Especially when we are talking about the 860k. Sure, it's much less in comparison to the Z97... It performs better per dollar but the FM2+ is terrible, goodluck finding a good upgrade on that.

We live in the now, not in the future. I hate the burst your bubble. Sure, when zen comes out, we can be sure if it'll be worth it. Till now, why invest in AMD unless you're willing to support them? Makes absolutely no sense. As far as "Are you going to be upgrading soon?", how the hell really knows? When I bought the FX-6300, I had no intentions of upgrading. I ended up doing that and as I look back, I REALLY wish I could have gotten the G3258 because it would've been much cheaper on my wallet and would've lasted me much longer.

Well, I'm glad we can at least agree on that. However, I still wouldn't recommend the 860k. It'd be nice for a very tight budget build, however, no one can really say if you'll be needing to upgrade or not. It's just not a very smart move.

If we are just going to insult each others preferences like every forum user, we should just cut it this short. Appears you can't share opinions without a bunch of people trying to insult them for it. Reminds me of TWI forums all over again, ask for help then everyone starts avoiding the question and instead insults everyone.

Fact>Opinion. For gaming the G3258 really isn't an option due to its performance.

PMSL

And the locked Skylake i5 are kicking ass as well (should have spent the extra $100 to get the 6700K-but oh well Pentium III 667>i5 4440>4790K are some really big leaps), which means that if you can afford one you'll be set for a while-especially considering the next 2 and maybe 3 generations are going to be s1151. At the moment since AMD isn't competing on the CPU side of things your better off sticking with what you have and then doing the upgrade to Skylake in 1 go. Zen might change that but there are only AMD's predictions to go off no actual evidence of the performance, and since Zen is supposed to come out in 2016-2017 you could save up enough in that time to go with Skylake and get performance that is better than AMD's predictions with the same features listed for Zen.

Fact>Opinion. For gaming the G3258 really isn't an option due to its performance.

So tell me, how is that a fact? You really need to start thinking about it more clearly, apparently.

So tell me, how is that a fact?

Modern games in the last 4-5 years make full use of quad cores. I have run my i5 4440 with only 2 cores enabled and my games (BF3, BF4, Skyrim, Crysis 2, Crysis 3, LP#, Titanfall) and games were rendered unplayable with both cores getting maxed out and large amounts of stuttering. BTW that's without including other games that I don't have such as GTA 5, COD AW, BF Hardline, The Witcher 3, Facrcry 4 which are well known to have issues with the G3258.

PMSL

Modern games in the last 4-5 years make full use of quad cores. I have run my i5 4440 with only 2 cores enabled and my games (BF3, BF4, Skyrim, Crysis 2, Crysis 3, LP#, Titanfall) and games were rendered unplayable with both cores getting maxed out and large amounts of stuttering. BTW that's without including other games that I don't have such as GTA 5, COD AW, BF Hardline, The Witcher 3, Facrcry 4 which are well known to have issues with the G3258.

And? We are talking about the G3258 and i3's, those of which aren't quad cores. Seriously, read through the comments again.

Obviously in the last 4-5 years, it wasn't necessary to have a quad core CPU. They can utilize quad cores, yeah, then what? What are you trying to get at here.

an FX6300 will run every recent and older title, an i3 not since it's a dual core cpu. simple as that. the fx is cheaper too (at least in my country) and even the stock cooler will do to reach a decent overclock. 

but let's say they where equal in games, the fx will still be superior in all multithreading tasks.

sorry mate, but you are the one being aggressive here.

as for being in the "now"....

if i only wanted what i need for now, i would buy a i3. Because today, it plays everything i need just damn fine.

And? We are talking about the G3258 and i3's, those of which aren't quad cores. Seriously, read through the comments again.

Obviously in the last 4-5 years, it wasn't necessary to have a quad core CPU. They can utilize quad cores, yeah, then what? What are you trying to get at here.

ok, i realize you are a bit dense... but really, time to deal the final blow.

NOTE THE MINIMUM FPS IN THE FOLLOWING VIDEO.

In this video, the G3258 is running at 4.5GHz

In that case he should disable hyperthreading, disable 2 cores then try to play some games.

Haha, that is not a pleasant experience at all. I knew how shitty GTA V would run on my Xeon E3-1231v3 when I disabled two cores and disabled hyperthreading, but then I was shocked at just how smoothly it ran with my 970 when I left two cores disabled but turned hyperthreading on to simulate an i3. I mean it was a night and day difference. And I also have a real Pentium G3258 that I got to 4.4 GHz stable on the stock cooler, and it sucked in games. Nice processor for my FreeNAS box though, plenty powerful enough to transcode 1080p streams with the PLEX plugin.

Haha, that is not a pleasant experience at all. I knew how shitty GTA V would run on my Xeon E3-1231v3 when I disabled two cores and disabled hyperthreading, but then I was shocked at just how smoothly it ran with my 970 when I left two cores disabled but turned hyperthreading on to simulate an i3. I mean it was a night and day difference. And I also have a real Pentium G3258 that I got to 4.4 GHz stable on the stock cooler, and it sucked in games. Nice processor for my FreeNAS box though, plenty powerful enough to transcode 1080p streams with the PLEX plugin.

Yep. That's exactly the kind of scenarios a G3258 should be used for,and why for a gaming rig its always an i3 over the G3258.

Edit: Also, I myself did the same tests with my GTX 970, using the Core 2 Duo E8500 and Xeon X5450.

PMSL