Pcperspective Review The First FreeSync Monitor With A 30-144hz Range

Rekx

I dont know what people are expecting. Either you're trying have your e-penis on full swing, or straight out trolling.

This is what a lot of people actually want. Forget 1440P, people who benefit from this are the fps gamers, whose fps can go up and down in some demanding games. Most fps gamers still stick to 1080P because are you really gonna spend $600-700 for a 144hz 1440P panel. Refresh rate > resolution, for fps gamers and I expect everyone to know this already. If you don't, well there we go.

Considering most 24" 1080P 144hz TN monitors cost around $200, the $100 price premium makes a lot of sense and basically fulfills what AMD promised to us

There shouldn't BE a 100 dollar premium, that's the whole point of freesync.  My monitor costs less and has better specs, but lacks Freesync.

There shouldn't BE a 100 dollar premium, that's the whole point of freesync.  My monitor costs less and has better specs, but lacks Freesync.

There is a difference between a manufacturer charging a bit more electively due to uniqueness of product or differentiation, and increasing the base cost of the product by default. This is an extra hundred dollars for a first of its kind product. Not a hundred dollars for the technology as a blanket cost. As the market fleshes out and direct competition to specific products arise prices will drop.

If you don't want a price premium at all for freesync, everybody needs to boycott nvidia until they support adaptivesync / freesync too. Then, adaptivesync will be an industry standard and the prices will go down

Agree. The Acer GN246HL which is the cheapest 144 Hz 1080p monitor typically hovers around the $200 mark. $100 more is a steep premium for something that is more like a tertiary issue to most gamers. For your 1080p gamer who will probably be pairing it with a 380 or 960, that money could be spent on a 970 or 390 instead (yes i know Nvidia doesn't use FreeSync but you get the point) or even upgrade to a 27 inch 144 Hz monitor. Both FreeSync and GSync still need to come down in price.

Freesync was meant to be free but obviously that wasn't true.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

If you don't want a price premium at all for freesync, everybody needs to boycott nvidia until they support adaptivesync / freesync too. Then, adaptivesync will be an industry standard and the prices will go down

Adaptive sync is basically already there, AMD cards forward will support it, Intel said they are planning on supporting it, and Nvidia (whether they want to admit it or not) supports it on eDP displays for things like laptops.

They just don't want to support it on desktop because they are able to charge a premium and get a cut of the monitor sales by shoving in their chip.

I cant wait until someone hacks the Nvidia driver to make it think all DP displays are eDP displays and then all of a sudden you can use your 980ti on a freesync display for the best of both worlds.

Fuck proprietary bullshit.

Freesync was meant to be a cheaper option, the issue is that the monitor companies have to recoup the cost of adding in the Adaptive Sync support. After this is a standard across all monitors and they are selling in bulk, the premium will slowly go away. This is the case with all new technology.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Correction: It was meant to be free for the manufacturers (and is). Of course, they are businesses and will raise the price to increase the profit regardless. Monitor prices seem to raise significantly, regardless of how small the upgrades seem to be(more pixels, more frame rate, smaller response time, etc).

It's always funny seeing people on tech forums with expensive hardware who don't know that they're the minority.

It's always funny seeing people that thinks that everyone buys expensive monitors just like them like it's the norm

Freesync was meant to be a cheaper option, the issue is that the monitor companies have to recoup the cost of adding in the Adaptive Sync support. After this is a standard across all monitors and they are selling in bulk, the premium will slowly go away. This is the case with all new technology.

Correction: It was meant to be free for the manufacturers (and is). Of course, they are businesses and will raise the price to increase the profit regardless. Monitor prices seem to raise significantly, regardless of how small the upgrades seem to be(more pixels, more frame rate, smaller response time, etc).

Thanks. I was going to respond but you both already did.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Finally a monitor that goes down to 30. Until now I've felt Freesync and G-sync was partly pointless. 

Now if only they could reach 24, that would be perfect, but I'm happy with 30. 

Next part is a 4K IPS monitor with 30-75hz range (more if possible of course, but that is not going to happen before DP1.3 comes on graphicscards)

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Really fantastic dynamic refresh rate window. 30H to 144Hz is just about perfect.

Good to see the freesync ecosystem improving. I would like to in a couple years time buy a 4K IPS display with a freesync range of 30Hz to 90Hz. Hopefully by then more affordable GPUs will be able to drive 4K.

It's always funny seeing people that thinks that everyone buys expensive monitors just like them like it's the norm

Don't think you quite get what ivan is saying.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

The best part is that this means we have a monitor controller out there capable of doing 30-144hz @ 1080p. Now we just need some that can do it @ 1440p and maybe 100hz @ 3440x1440p.

Finally a monitor that goes down to 30. Until now I've felt Freesync and G-sync was partly pointless. 

Now if only they could reach 24, that would be perfect, but I'm happy with 30. 

Next part is a 4K IPS monitor with 30-75hz range (more if possible of course, but that is not going to happen before DP1.3 comes on graphicscards)

LCD's can hardly sustain an image at 30hz. That is also why PCPer mentions some noise in the dark areas, when it goes all the way down to 30. You'll have to wait for OLED if you want lower.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

The best part is that this means we have a monitor controller out there capable of doing 30-144hz @ 1080p. Now we just need some that can do it @ 1440p and maybe 100hz @ 3440x1440p.

LCD's can hardly sustain an image at 30hz. That is also why PCPer mentions some noise in the dark areas, when it goes all the way down to 30. You'll have to wait for OLED if you want lower.

I know, but I kinda supsect the reason for this is because they have never had any need to go that low. Now that there is some kind of small demand for it, they might look in to it, and it might not be so hard to fix as they've thought. That just me hoping of course.

But yeah, I know, wait for OLED. I'm still debating if I'm going to wait for OLED or not to buy a new monitor. For now, I think I will, as there are no perfect monitor out there yet anyways. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Not bad but I'm more exited about the Wasabi Mango:

Not listed: Freesync support, 120hz on 1080p

SPECIFICATIONS
Model Name: WASABI MANGO UHD420 Real 4K HDMI 2.0
Panel Type: AH-IPS LED Back Light
Size: 42 Type 16:9 Wide (106.47cm)
Viewing Screen Size: 927.94mm (H) x 521.96mm (V)
Resolution: UHD 4K (3840 x 2160)
Pixel Pitch: 0.24165mm x 0.24165mm
Brightness: 400cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 1,200:1
Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 1,000,000:1
Response Time: 5ms
Viewing Angle: 178/178
Vertical Frequency : 60Hz
Horizontal Frequency: 30~85KHz
Input: 2xHDMI 2.0, 2xHDMI 1.4a , 1xDisplay Port 1.2
Built in Speaker: Stereo (10Wx10W)
Power Consumption: 90W (power saving mode: 0.5W)
Size (Including Speaker): 37.3" (948.2mm) x 23.5" (597.1mm) x 10.8" (274.3mm)
Weight: 27lbs (12.3kg)
Others: Including DP & HDMI cable, Remote controller

-------

Current Rig

-------

I know, but I kinda supsect the reason for this is because they have never had any need to go that low. Now that there is some kind of small demand for it, they might look in to it, and it might not be so hard to fix as they've thought. That just me hoping of course.

But yeah, I know, wait for OLED. I'm still debating if I'm going to wait for OLED or not to buy a new monitor. For now, I think I will, as there are no perfect monitor out there yet anyways. 

The problem are the Liquid Crystal's in the LCD. They can only hold a charge for ~30ms, which is 30hz. After that they reset to default (off/closed), which is why that Asus laptop with a leaked mobile gsync driver, had those blackouts. LCD is about as developed as can be. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I doubt it's worth the efforts.

We need Samsung and all the other big panel vendors to go OLED now. LG basically has a monopoly.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

We need Samsung and all the other big panel vendors to go OLED now. LG basically has a monopoly.

Well, I'm happy with only LG for now, as long as they start making OLED monitors too. 

Now just give us this for 30 - 100hz on a 3440x1440 Freesync ultrawide.

for less than $1500