AMD power virus

Aefiel

So I was told (by a friend) that furmark and other such software such as Kombustor are regarded as power viruses by the driver and will be throttled to preserve a GPU - ot so it was 3 years ago. I want to know, is that still the case? My little bro did a dumb thing and used furmark for an hour and a half. From what I was told in the other thread - it's fine but this might seal the deal in our minds. Thanks in advance :)

It'll just make it really hot, I wouldn't recommend it, but it shouldn't kill it.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

No... that's just dumb...

They're programs created to stress gpu's and test their performance. If the card gets too hot, then hard-coded mechanics kick in and it will either downvolt to keep temperatures in a safe range, or kick the fans to full AND downvolt to preserve the card. You can run a burn in test like furmark or unigine for hours if you want. Show cases will run stuff like unigine heaven/valley for upwards of 12 hours.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Pretty sure it's fine. It wouldn't be a benchmark program if it was just being throttled.

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

It'll just make it really hot, I wouldn't recommend it, but it shouldn't kill it.

Pretty sure it's fine. It wouldn't be a benchmark program if it was just being throttled.

Well. it's just I've heard so many horror stories about furmark - the card is pre OCed - not overvolted - 1.1V max - there was an odd GPU-Z spike reading of 135V but people told me it was likely a software bug - temps were normal.

I also found these articles about throttling and idk.

They're programs created to stress gpu's and test their performance. If the card gets too hot, then hard-coded mechanics kick in and it will either downvolt to keep temperatures in a safe range, or kick the fans to full AND downvolt to preserve the card. You can run a burn in test like furmark or unigine for hours if you want. Show cases will run stuff like unigine heaven/valley for upwards of 12 hours.

Video cards have a power limit now, it won't let it more power than it was designed to use, it will downclock and undervolt.

Pretty sure if 135 Volts when through that card it would be dead and prob a fire

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Pretty sure if 135 Volts when through that card it would be dead and prob a fire

1.35 - sorry, typo, it's a tad late.

it was during Unigine valley - that reading - 68*C on the VRM and core at that moment,

Heyyo,

It's just thermal throttling. Same goes for anything GPU-related.

Linus did a video about thermal throttling on his HTPC before... lemme find it...

That's what all GPUs do. They don't wanna melt. :P

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

Heyyo,

It's just thermal throttling. Same goes for anything GPU-related.

Linus did a video about thermal throttling on his HTPC before... lemme find it...

That's what all GPUs do. They don't wanna melt. :P

So the occasional odd stuff is likely the game/driver acting up and the card is fine? other thread has a lot more info and im too tired to retype it all. only 2 threads I've visited.

Heyyo,

@Aefiel You can use furmark as a GPU thermal stress test... but tbh? It's safer to just leave 3DMark on a loop or Unigine Valley. 3DMark pushes your pc beyond what any game would so it'll definitely get your PC hot beyond what any game could. Just go into the custom tab and check the loop box, set it to run in windowed mode and you're set.

http://www.futuremark.com/support/3dmark

I'm having stability issues when running loop testing and get error about display resolution changing

While the loop tickbox in Custom tab does disable most of the anti-tampering checks, when loop testing for hours in full screen mode, the run can be interrupted if some background application draws a popup or task bar notification as it causes a switch back to the desktop view. 3DMark cannot recover from such display mode change.

For very long stability stress tests we recommend testing using the windowed mode. Windowed mode is not interrupted by task bar popups or other interrupts from background applications, only actual driver crashes or general system instability will stop the test. When looping all parts of a test, there are loading screens with light load between each part. For maximum load set the stress test loop to loop a single part of a test - Fire Strike Game Test 1, for example - and the loop will be continuous without loading screens. Note that when looping, the run will never produce a score.

Also we recommend disabling Scan Systeminfo from the help tab for loop testing - you are not going to get a result file anyway, so there is little point in gathering hardware data and in very long loops the hardware monitoring dataset (temperatures, clock frequencies etc.) can be so large that it could in theory cause stability problems.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

So I was told (by a friend) that furmark and other such software such as Kombustor are regarded as power viruses by the driver and will be throttled to preserve a GPU - ot so it was 3 years ago. I want to know, is that still the case? My little bro did a dumb thing and used furmark for an hour and a half. From what I was told in the other thread - it's fine but this might seal the deal in our minds. Thanks in advance :)

Well. it's just I've heard so many horror stories about furmark - the card is pre OCed - not overvolted - 1.1V max - there was an odd GPU-Z spike reading of 135V but people told me it was likely a software bug - temps were normal.

I also found these articles about throttling and idk.

1.35 - sorry, typo, it's a tad late.

it was during Unigine valley - that reading - 68*C on the VRM and core at that moment,

So the occasional odd stuff is likely the game/driver acting up and the card is fine? other thread has a lot more info and im too tired to retype it all. only 2 threads I've visited.

is not a virus  :o

but "Furmark" likes "damage" the memory of the card in some cases  <_<

i will say... play safe friend  ^_^

and don't use it  ;)