Personal Rig Update 2015

May I ask why Windows 10 was not installed in the faster EFI mode? (Or  am I wrong, with Windows 8.1 the startup logo changes to an Asus logo when installed in EFI, but it can be different for Win10)

On the installation medium (Win 7 and newer) there are always two bootmanagers, an EFI and a normal for older motherboards.

When installed in EFI mode Windows already loads while the mainboards do the postchecks and the startup is quicker.

This is also the reasen why the introduced directBios in some motherboards (button or header e.g. you can use that in stead of the reset button and have a little programm for Windows to start directly to the bios because you have nearly no time to enter the bios.

Often the normal startup ist started automatically and you have to select the EFI installer manually in the bootmenu.

But even in normal mode...is 45 seconds to slow. It should be faster with that SSD.

Do you have the X99 platform? I went from an 11 sec boot time on Z97 to about 50 seconds just going to X99. Not sure if what you are saying is applicable here.

Cool, But gonna wait for YTB links..

Details separate people.

Did you not install Windows in EFI?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Kinda unexciting knowing all the parts are freebies from OEMs.  There's no "why did you pick this part instead of this part?".

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Do you have the X99 platform? I went from an 11 sec boot time on Z97 to about 50 seconds just going to X99. Not sure if what you are saying is applicable here.

Is possible i dont know the x99 platform very well, i just guessed the more expensive x99 will not do a lot worse then z97.

Is there a reason why there is so a big gap between x99 and z97?

Excite! Waiting for the YouTube upload. If I watch the early stuff on Vessel, I have nothing to watch on YouTube later, haha.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

yah I'm sooo wondering myself what Thunderbolt dock and if you could do this with a USB 3.0 or 3.1 dock? and where one can find suck docs and do they pass Video through from the graphics card and do any support dual and triple monitors.. it would be nice to have some distance from my tower and still be able to connect everything

I'm thinking he will keep his "to the death case". This is upgrading the core so that he can replace his wack of refurbished ssd's with one that is way better. Smart move.

Not true,he'll replace it

Got some new swag and some new plans for the personal rig in 2015 here!

Core i7 5960X

Amazon: http://geni.us/3o1L

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1Do62fi

Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX

Amazon: http://geni.us/1hGK

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1SuLVD5

ASUS Rampage V Extreme (painted blue)

Amazon: http://geni.us/3Ssh

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1Ibw0dl

Intel 750 Series 1.2TB PCIe SSD

Amazon: http://geni.us/11IH

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1MdnjPu

Vessel link: https://www.vessel.com/videos/HXIkhQFtF

YouTube link: TBD 

sport_grey_holy_balls_zpst8v6rm2g.png

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

At 12:30 when Linus boots up the computer, it looks like he is booting in legacy BIOS mode. Why not install it with the proper UEFI boot loader? Honestly at boot time of 45 seconds seems kinda slow with that hardware, seeing that my z77 2500k setup boots in less than 10 seconds?

Does anyone know why it took 45 seconds to boot after the upgrade? My desktop boots in 7 seconds? Maybe I missed something. I am not that tech smart thats why I watch lol.

Well, he seems to not be booting in UEFI mode, which will slow things down. Still, I would have expected 20-25 sec boot times at worst.

At 12:30 when Linus boots up the computer, it looks like he is booting in legacy BIOS mode. Why not install it with the proper UEFI boot loader? Honestly at boot time of 45 seconds seems kinda slow with that hardware, seeing that my z77 2500k setup boots in less than 10 seconds?

Like what the others stated the X99 platform has an impact on boot times

Remember when Linus spent over 1k on that case alone? smh.....

How long will it take for Linus to finish this series of videos? 1 year? 2 years? 3 years? never?

How will he name those videos? Part 1a? Part 1.1? Part IV?

Place your bets, people!!

ohhh linus.

beginning of video:

a titan x will do.

end of video:

might throw in a gpu swap.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Give away case? please..... Vote turnip if yes

How long are we going to have to wait for part 2? I really hope you beat the current speed record...

<Insert joke here>

1:36 hehehe. I have a 4960X too. Just ran Cinebench and got 1213 points. Hehehe. I guess mine must be overclocked a bit more. Obviously, Linus has the last laugh cos his new 5960X does 1389 out of the box, and I don't plan on upgrading for a couple of years yet. I must say though, I don't like the idea of the rack mount thing. Feels too ... cold. I have too much attachment to my case to consider doing that myself. 

when all is done . plz test if there is any delay from PC rack to peripherals/screen

Lol my rig boots in 20secs and doesn't even have an ssd

Case: NZXT phantom CPU:I5-4460 GPU:MSI-GTX1070 Gaming X RAM:2x4Gb-DDR3-HyperX fury MOBO:Asus Z97-P HDD:Toshiba 1Tb 7200rpm PSU:Sentey650W

Oh my God the HYPE!  Loved Personal Rig Update 2012, now I can't wait to see this rack mounted setup.  I saw someone on reddit do something similar in their house, however I think it was on a much larger scale.  His rack was in the basement and the PC were on the 2nd floor of his house.  It was sick tho.  He was also running his NAS in the rack as well.

Planning on moving your home NAS to the rack as well @LinusTech!!?

Linus timed his boot time from the moment he hit that power button to the moment it showed the lock screen and that took 45 seconds. If it was timed when the desktop and all start up programs are loaded, it might have taken a bit longer. To speed up the boot time, you'll have to go into the bios and disable uncessary componenets, set your OS as primary boot, and set a lower delay time out. Doing that and it should speed up the boot time. Time it took for my X99, from pressing power button to all start up programs loaded is around 45 seconds. Cannot enable fastboot because my gpu HD5850 don't have GOP support. There is a free program call Bootracer, that can time how fast your computer boots.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Lol my rig boots in 20secs and doesn't even have an ssd

Well Linus' 2012 rig had a raid card that needed to initialize before the boot could be complete.

Well Linus' 2012 rig had a raid card that needed to initialize before the boot could be complete.

The new one doesn't and still takes a glacial 45 seconds.