Atlas: Virtual Reality Made Real

Poohy14

Atlas is a patent-pending system that uses optical tracking fused with accelerometers and gyros to locate you in a room. You put down special markers around a room wherever you want, map the room so Atlas knows where they are, and then strap your iPhone to your chest and it positions you within the room. It is meant to be used with a head mounted display like the Oculus Rift and a gaming laptop. It gives you a virtual world to play in, whether you want to play first-person-shooter-style games that will give you a killer workout in a half hour, or design epic fantasy adventures share with friends, or create educational modules to teach history, or...Jurassic Park. Someone should do Jurassic Park.

Source: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/62367895/atlas-virtual-reality-made-real

I think this will change how we could play games virtually and with multiplayer games

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Wouldn't this be severely limited by how big your room is? 

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Hmmm it looks like fun i hope that the project gets funded :) .

Virtual Reality has always interested me, I've just never had the chance to use any of it myself :D

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Wouldn't this be limited by how big your room is? 

Well what if you place the markers outside lets say in a park?

2 major problems with this. For now it's limited to the iPhone platform and much much worse you're limited to the size of your room.

2 major problems with this. For now it's limited to the iPhone platform and much much worse you're limited to the size of your room.

Yup. I hate how they say that everyone has a smartphone too. I hate those things; plus it's not only limited to the iPhone, but also to  the 4s or greater. They really need to develop their own motion tracking addon that connects to the PC as an optional extra if they are doing it.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

i don't think that you should play in your room 2 things first your room is no more than 5 meters long second its full with obstacles. 

;)

Well what if you place the markers outside lets say in a park?

Because I can afford to rent out a park for my gaming sessions  :P. Imagine a park LAN kind of this with this though.

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

Because I can afford to rent out a park for my gaming sessions  :P. Imagine a park LAN kind of this with this though.

Well i mean in public park it will be cool to get your friends and play Counter Strike.  :D

Looks like I'll have to invest into buying a 100 acre farm so I can utilize this properly

Seems legit. Buy one for me as well while you're at it :p

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

you would only need a 360 degree treadmill at the center of the room.

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Ignoring the fact that you need an iPhone 4S or better and a big open space, it's not a bad idea. There is no doubt that in the long run it will be adapted to other smartphones. And, chances are that who ever owns an Oculus rift will probably also own a half decent smartphone. Finally, in the grand scheme of things, it's a relatively cheap way to get an even better VR experience.

I don't think it is perfect, but nothing is in it's first iteration and you have to start somewhere. 

Something like this would be more practical in a VR multiplayer arena type place where the game is mapped exactly to how it is in real life.BF3 close quarters with this tech would be so sick!

CPU: i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz | CASE: Corsair 780T White Edition | MB: Asus Z170 Deluxe | CPU Cooling: EK Predator 360 | GPU: NVIDIA Titan X Pascal w/ EKWB nickel waterblock | PSU: EVGA 850w P2 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Corsair Domintator Platinum 2800mhz | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | OS: Win 10 Pro x64 | Monitor: Acer Predator X34/HTC VIVE Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger-Z | Mouse: Razer Taipan | Sound: Audio Technica ATH-M50x / Klipsch Promedia 2.1 Sound System 

The only scenario I see this to work would be by recreating and mapping out a map from a video game, but by that point it would probably be more fun just to play paintball on it...

I challenge the Swiss to recreate Skyrim. They'd make absolute boat loads of tourist money.

To be honest, it would be amazing to be able to make specifically engineered maps for this kind of thing for games like Call of Duty and then rent the place and just run around killing each other like paintball or airsoft, but this isn't happening from inside one's house.

Also you lose immersion by walking up or down stairs since you only go straight and I really don't like that.

We were talking about OMNI.. Imagine ATLAS maps..

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

Neat project and I hope it gets funded, but this isn't the VR I want. 

Once the VR I want pops up, I will back it with the all the money I have. 

COMIC SANS

This is kind of cool. What I'm thinking is maybe rent out a conference room at a hotel and put these all over the floor. One thing. If there is a wall in vr and two people walk too close to that same wall but on either side of it, will they crash into each other. 

cool idea but i think my head will hurt after running into a wall...

edit: the omni is a better system since you can't run into walls. but this would work better on a several hundred square kilometer field :)

"For iPhone"

No thanks. :P Cool idea though.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990