Can you completely wipe a HDD?

ANewFace

I'm getting ready to build a PC for my grandparents and I had a spare 500gb WD blue HDD sitting around that I took out of an old PC. They drive still works, but is there anyway of wiping it completely so I can use it for a new build?

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

Format it

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

yeah its called formatting it...

do 3 overwrite passes and it will be good

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Right click the drive and select "Format"

My Build: Phoenix

Processor: Intel i7 4770k, Motherboard: Asus Z97-P RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB GPU: MSI GTX 1050TI OC Case: Corsair ICUE 4000X, Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB + 500GB + 2TB HDD PSU: Corsair RM750, Cooling: Corsair H100i Capellix, 

If you want to talk to me or give me an answer, please tag me otherwise you'll be talking to thin air ❤️

Go to bios and plug in the old HDD.

set the boot option for your drive with the OS first. than the old HDD as second.

Boot up windows

go to disc management (windows 8 just type in create and format partitions in the windwos search)

right click on your hard drive and press format

yeah its called formatting it...

do 3 overwrite passes and it will be good

Data still is recoverably after 4 passes

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

It will be running as a os.

so it will constantly be writing over.

not really

its not like you need to do a certain number of passes to get rd of data, thats not how this works

its just that with more passes it becomes harder and harder to get anything even remotely useful back

even one overwrite already wont make it accessible to regular data recovery tools

He's using this drive for his grandparents build so hes not trying to hide illegal documents from the government

even just a simple format would be enough

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

actually you should delete the partitions...remake them..then format it

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

not really

its not like you need to do a certain number of passes to get rd of data, thats not how this works

its just that with more passes it becomes harder and harder to get anything even remotely useful back

even one overwrite already wont make it accessible to regular data recovery tools

He's using this drive for his grandparents build so hes not trying to hide illegal documents from the government

even just a simple format would be enough

Yeah i know but in a lab they can recover data thats been formatted and written over 4 times...

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Yeah i know but in a lab they can recover data thats been formatted and written over 4 times...

which costs thousands of dollars and is completely useless if hes just giving it to his grandparents

why the heck would his grandparents spend $5k to recover some documents and games?

Spoiler

I'm getting ready to build a PC for my grandparents and I had a spare 500gb WD blue HDD sitting around that I took out of an old PC. They drive still works, but is there anyway of wiping it completely so I can use it for a new build?

Format it

Go to bios and plug in the old HDD.

set the boot option for your drive with the OS first. than the old HDD as second.

Boot up windows

go to disc management (windows 8 just type in create and format partitions in the windwos search)

right click on your hard drive and press format

It will be running as a os.

so it will constantly be writing over.

The lot of you are either under thinking it or over thinking it.

The OP specifically asked how to "completely wipe a HDD". A simple format will not do this. With free, readily available software (eg: Recuva - Made by Piriform, the same guys as CCleaner), you can easily recover data from a HDD that has been formatted over.

However, the solution is equally as easy: There are TONS of HDD cleaning/erasure tools. The idea is to completely fill up the HDD with new data - generally either Zero Passes (writing the entire HDD over with bits in Zero state), or Random fill Passes (Filling up the HDD with a random selection of Zero's and One's).

See this list for a selection of excellent, free utilities:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-hard-disk-cleaning-and-erasing-tools/

@ANewFace easy peasy. I recommend one of the following from that list:

1. Active@Kill Disk - Hard Drive Eraser - http://download.cnet.com/Active-Kill-Disk-Hard-Drive-Eraser/3000-2092_4-10073508.html?tag=mncol;2

2. Eraser - http://download.cnet.com/Eraser/3000-2092_4-10231814.html?tag=mncol;4

Both are relatively easy to use, and will be quite effective.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

dafaq u tlaking about m8. i formateed my drive it completeley wipes it. I think UR overthinking/underthinking it

All formatting a HDD does, is essentially clear the partition table and index. I guarantee you that a lot of data from before you wiped it is recoverable, with free software (such as what I mentioned above).

A format "wipes" it in the sense that it tells Windows to "forget" about the data, but doesn't physically overwrite it. And even overwriting the data once can still often be recoverable. As others have mentioned, the more passes means the harder it is, and a good overwrite once over (A single pass) is good enough for regular means, but I'm simply clarifying.

I'm not overthinking it at all. I'm simply giving the OP the correct information, and dispelling some misinformation while I'm at it. It's up to the OP to decide how thorough he wants to be. Maybe a simple format is good enough for him. Maybe not. I'm giving him the proper options, and he can make up his own mind on the matter.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Hey ANewFace,

A simple format would delete the partition table and thus make the data of the drive invisible to the OS and it will write the new one over the old. For completely deleting the data from the drive I would suggest performing a "writing zeros" function. I would suggest using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool to do that. It has the quick and full option. The first one will write 0s on the fist and the last million bits of the drive and make it practically unreadable while the full one will put a 0 in every bit of the drive. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=u8Soe9

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

The OP specifically asked how to "completely wipe a HDD". A simple format will not do this. With free, readily available software (eg: Recuva - Made by Piriform, the same guys as CCleaner), you can easily recover data from a HDD that has been formatted over.

However, the solution is equally as easy: There are TONS of HDD cleaning/erasure tools. The idea is to completely fill up the HDD with new data - generally either Zero Passes (writing the entire HDD over with bits in Zero state), or Random fill Passes (Filling up the HDD with a random selection of Zero's and One's).

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/five-apps/five-hard-disk-cleaning-and-erasing-tools/

1. Active@Kill Disk - Hard Drive Eraser - http://download.cnet.com/Active-Kill-Disk-Hard-Drive-Eraser/3000-2092_4-10073508.html?tag=mncol;2

2. Eraser - http://download.cnet.com/Eraser/3000-2092_4-10231814.html?tag=mncol;4

I never understood this why fill with random 1 and 0 why not just put all 0? or all 1?

Hey ANewFace,

A simple format would delete the partition table and thus make the data of the drive invisible to the OS and it will write the new one over the old. For completely deleting the data from the drive I would suggest performing a "writing zeros" function. I would suggest using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool to do that. It has the quick and full option. The first one will write 0s on the fist and the last million bits of the drive and make it practically unreadable while the full one will put a 0 in every bit of the drive. Here's a link: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=u8Soe9

Captain_WD.

I keep forgetting that WD Lifeguard has this function built in xD

I never understood this why fill with random 1 and 0 why not just put all 0? or all 1?

In practice, Zero Writing is sufficient, and even with DOD/NSA protocols, that's usually what they do with multiple passes.

The idea behind random bits is that it will make the data much harder to reconstruct per pass, since (in theory) there's no pattern to follow.

But as I said, in practice, it really doesn't matter at that point. If you're crazy paranoid, or Edward Snowden, you're gonna be doing like 35-pass wipes anyway.