Acer Predator X34 Gsync monitor

PeggersXtreme

No not yet. I want to get an ultrawide... but now im wondering if I should just get a 27" 144hz gsync

I'm gonna do some testing tonight before I box it up at 100hz and see if there is much of a noticeable difference if not I might take the risk and go with the Predator X34 all I know is the 144hz + G-sync was so smooth that 60hz is now ruined for me lol I did try it at 2560x1080 to see what extra field of view you get and the extra field of view does help as well but the G-sync is the gold medalist in this case 60hz looked ok as long as G-sync was enabled when not enabled I had tearing and with Vsync enabled oh dear it looked horrible and stuttered like crazy so bad it looked like lag after using 144hz :/.

One thing that worries me about Ultrawide is that it look like you lose some height in some games which might ruin the experience and viewing distance. like the video I posted earlier of the building being cut of the top on 21:9 but not on 16:9

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Eww 1080p at 35" the other specs are ok but dat resolution though it would be like playing dot to dot looking at that pixel density

Custom PC:

Intel Core i7 5960X GTX1080 Strix | 64gb 2400mhz DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Ram | Samsung S951 256gb M.2 | 4TB WD Blue SSHD | EVGA Supernova G2 1300watt PSU | Acer XB270HU | Corsair K95 RGB | Corsair M65 RGB |

Eww 1080p at 35" the other specs are ok but dat resolution though it would be like playing dot to dot looking at that pixel density

Agreed!

Ok so do you lose some vertical space in games with 21:9 I saw a video on YouTube of 21:9 compared to 16:9 and the 21:9 cut the top of building off but you got more horizontal field of view the main game I noticed it in was watch dogs probably because it was made by Ubisoft sorry all Ubisoft fans but its true here's the video

Surely vertical space should be identical even in games cause they are both same resolution high?

You NEVER lose ANY vertical space in ANY games.

Horizontal is always the one where you can see more or less depending if you sit on a 21:9 or 4:3 monitor.

You NEVER lose ANY vertical space in ANY games.

Horizontal is always the one where you can see more or less depending if you sit on a 21:9 or 4:3 monitor.

Must be a watch dogs thing after all it was made by Ubis**t

Custom PC:

The whole point in spending over a thousand or close to is not to buy a 1080p res display. no ty

Perfect monitor would be 3440x1440 OLED 144hz G-sync if that comes out sign me up :) perfect resolution in my opinion any higher and it becomes pointless as text has to be resized :)

Custom PC:

Must be a watch dogs thing after all it was made by Ubis**t

-Very few games, do the ZOOM-IN on 21:9, to make the 16:9 picture touch the sides.

This is never intentional by the way and is usually patched.

-The other unintentional consequences are when the engine stretches the game... everyone becomes FAT in it.

-And the most common is that it just shows black bars on the sides.

For the small number of games that have these issues - a lot can be fixed by .cfg edits; almost all can be fixed with FlawlessWidescreen tool.

Theres like 5 games where you cant do nothing about it.

Perfect monitor would be 3440x1440 OLED 144hz G-sync if that comes out sign me up :) perfect resolution in my opinion any higher and it becomes pointless as text has to be resized :)

Cant wait for OLED monitors. Shame they are AT LEAST 5 years away or so. And thats probably optimistic.

For 34" - ye, i guess you are correct.

Id want a 38" 3840x1600 OLED @ 120hz with 0-120 adaptivesync implementation tho :P

The magic of OLED - its good enough that it doesnt need a minimum, it can go all the way down to 0hz and hold an image without color degradation, unlike LCD below 30hz.

So with OLED you can have a true fps=hz display (up to a maximum). 

Also, since OLED doesnt need overdrive or any of the tricks LCD`s need - there is no ghosting, no NOTHING, its all crystal. Combine that with a 0-x hz adaptive sync and you get a 100% artifact free motion display.

But lets stop dreaming. Check back in 5 years. If really 100hz, the Acer x34 should do good for those 5 years :P

The whole point in spending over a thousand or close to is not to buy a 1080p res display. no ty

Done more testing on the monitor 100hz - 144hz is very small difference but G-sync is essential for smooth gameplay I can't play at 60hz anymore it just looks awful accept if G-sync is on it looks decent but still not 100hz or 144hz now just for me to decide if I take that risk and go with the X34 or get my XB270HU replaced :)

Custom PC:

-Very few games, do the ZOOM-IN on 21:9, to make the 16:9 picture touch the sides.

This is never intentional by the way and is usually patched.

-The other unintentional consequences are when the engine stretches the game... everyone becomes FAT in it.

-And the most common is that it just shows black bars on the sides.

For the small number of games that have these issues - a lot can be fixed by .cfg edits; almost all can be fixed with FlawlessWidescreen tool.

Theres like 5 games where you cant do nothing about it.

Didn't realize the game was zooming in on the 21:9 guess that makes perfect sense so which one do you think will be a more enjoyable display 21:9 1440p 100hz or 16:9 144hz 1440p?

Custom PC:

Didn't realize the game was zooming in on the 21:9 guess that makes perfect sense so which one do you think will be a more enjoyable display 21:9 1440p 100hz or 16:9 144hz 1440p?

Even if there are about 2 games out there that ZOOM, its a software issue and should never make anyone buy lesser hardware.

The 21:9 aspect ratio by itself > all. THATS how good it is. Anyone who has played on it will know this.

Having 21:9 with 1440p, 100hz IPS and gsync = its a fucking godsend. However if it was 75hz it would be a bit harder to recommend when 144hz IPS monitors are available for 2/3rds the price.

But both acer and asus made so much noise about them being 100hz... i really doubt they will be anything less.

Done more testing on the monitor 100hz - 144hz is very small difference but G-sync is essential for smooth gameplay I can't play at 60hz anymore it just looks awful accept if G-sync is on it looks decent but still not 100hz or 144hz now just for me to decide if I take that risk and go with the X34 or get my XB270HU replaced :)

Damn sounds like you got hooked haha. When you said 60hz looks like a slide show sped up I'm like oh man its that bad huh? I guess I should experience it for myself.

Damn sounds like you got hooked haha. When you said 60hz looks like a slide show sped up I'm like oh man its that bad huh? I guess I should experience it for myself.

With G-sync 60hz doesn't look the same as 60hz without G-sync it may be because I was always well over 60fps around 170fps this is on CS GO using a GTX 770 hopefully my new PC will be done tomorrow. 144hz does make a difference but 60hz is fine but I don't think I could use it without G-sync

Custom PC:

I have a question does the acer x34 use the same panel as the LG 34UC87C?

I have a question does the acer x34 use the same panel as the LG 34UC87C?

Yes it's the same panel as the LG34UC97 and LG34UC87 what is worrying is, does that mean LG sell Acer all the dodgy panels xD or at least the free sync one is the same LG panels.

Custom PC:

Yes it's the same panel as the LG34UC97 and LG34UC87 what is worrying is, does that mean LG sell Acer all the dodgy panels xD or at least the free sync one is the same LG panels.

They both use the same panel so this is strictly an Acer thing. They probably bit off more than they could chew and the Gsync module wasn't ready for that level of overclocking. Otherwise, it should be marketed as 100hz out of the box. What if you end up with a dud that can't clock that high? Well, like @ said you should go with a 144hz screen which is 2/3 the price of this one.

They both use the same panel so this is strictly an Acer thing. They probably bit off more than they could chew and the Gsync module wasn't ready for that level of overclocking. Otherwise, it should be marketed as 100hz out of the box. What if you end up with a dud that can't clock that high? Well, like @ said you should go with a 144hz screen which is 2/3 the price of this one.

Do you think I will get more enjoyment out of a 144hz 1440p 16:9 I can't go back to 60hz now I have experienced 144hz :) Really wanted to try Ultrawide but 60hz isn't worth the trade off imo

Custom PC:

And also isn't that saying the Asus Ultrawide wont cope either as that is 100hz as well

Custom PC:

And also isn't that saying the Asus Ultrawide wont cope either as that is 100hz as well

They may have a different manufacturing technology by the time they release their version if they can clock 100hz out of the factory but if they leave it to the user then they're no better than Acer. From what I hear at OCN, though, it won't void your warranty if you do so.

I want to go ultrawide as well but never having anything above 60hz I think I'm going to do a 144hz screen. A smaller screen would actually fit my desk setup at the moment. Gsync and higher refresh rates are more important than immersion at this point.

Your mileage may vary but I think you'd be better off with the 144hz display. If you want to wait till October when it releases and see the reviews I would do that. If you can't wait, I'd at least wait to see what TFTCentral thinks. There's a risk they're going to get a cherry picked model but they're usually quick to note such things especially if the experience varies drastically from what most consumers get on launch day.

Honestly, if you're spending a lot of money on your rig the last thing you want to do is get held back with shipping fees and RMA's until you get a new one when you're ready to go. Local retailers are best in the regard. In fact, I have a MicroCenter near me so if they release the X34 to them even if I have to pay a lot more in taxes it's worth it to just be able to drive in and get an exchange or refund that day. This is a lot of money we're talking about here.

They may have a different manufacturing technology by the time they release their version if they can clock 100hz out of the factory but if they leave it to the user then they're no better than Acer. From what I hear at OCN, though, it won't void your warranty if you do so.

I want to go ultrawide as well but never having anything above 60hz I think I'm going to do a 144hz screen. A smaller screen would actually fit my desk setup at the moment. Gsync and higher refresh rates are more important than immersion at this point.

Your mileage may vary but I think you'd be better off with the 144hz display. If you want to wait till October when it releases and see the reviews I would do that. If you can't wait, I'd at least wait to see what TFTCentral thinks. There's a risk they're going to get a cherry picked model but they're usually quick to note such things especially if the experience varies drastically from what most consumers get on launch day.

Honestly, if you're spending a lot of money on your rig the last thing you want to do is get held back with shipping fees and RMA's until you get a new one when you're ready to go. Local retailers are best in the regard. In fact, I have a MicroCenter near me so if they release the X34 to them even if I have to pay a lot more in taxes it's worth it to just be able to drive in and get an exchange or refund that day. This is a lot of money we're talking about here.

I might get a replacement XB270HU now then but I might also consider doing Nvidia surround but that means being stuck at 1080p to be able to drive three displays 144hz G-sync ones.

Custom PC:

I might get a replacement XB270HU now then but I might also consider doing Nvidia surround but that means being stuck at 1080p to be able to drive three displays 144hz G-sync ones.

Well think of it this way: if you have a killer setup you're just going to get higher frames, it will be easier for your cards to drive, and you'll easily achieve 144 for max refresh rates. At 3440 you'll probably notice a slight FPS drop so after a while you may not even care for ultrawide. We're in a transition phase with monitors and you have to check off what boxes mean the most to you. 

I personally dont think 21:9 will ever be standard not unless it becomes TV standard as consoles :blink: ​ seem to determine the path of gaming more than PC's mostly due to most games being ported to PC and therefore some games are always going to have black bars in cuts scenes.

Custom PC:

I personally dont think 21:9 will ever be standard not unless it becomes TV standard as consoles :blink: ​ seem to determine the path of gaming more than PC's mostly due to most games being ported to PC and therefore some games are always going to have black bars in cuts scenes.

Unfortunately, we went in the wrong direction and accepted 16:9 as our standard and now it's here to stay. Things like 16:10, 21:9 and other exotic formats are not as popular and unless something changes where we have early adopters who make the market viable for content creators AND content creators willing to push out native 21:9 games, then no it won't ever be as popular. It's funny, movies are shot in 21:9 and you'd never have to see black bars and barely any TV manufacturers have adopted that format. I think this resembles the sentiment PC makers have.

It's even more unfortunate that games have to be ported to PC in the first place when they're developed on the damn thing! It's frustrating when you see there is a market for it but you have companies half assing it. I wish Acer would just delay the thing until next year and really take the time to QC rather than just have some bored factory work look at it for a few seconds and determine it's good enough.