Confused about changing fan speeds <50%

Gego

Dear Forum,

I recently installed 3 Noiseblocker Silentpro PK3 casefans into my system to reduce noise. But actually, they aren't that silent'pro' at all..

They spin roughly 1100~1200 rpm and while they cool very good (Core temps ~25 degrees), i want them to spin slower.

I have a MSI motherboard and their Command Center lets me control the curve of the fans, but not below 50%.

Some users say that's because if the fans receive lower voltage than 50% the fan won't spin at all.

Considering the fan is 12V, is 50% 6 volts then? The official site rates the fan from 4v to 12v. Some reviewers said it'll even work at 3.5. Any way of going that low with software?

Another solution is changing it so they don't spin when core temps are below 35 degrees or something. Is there a way to change it so they won't spin?

Any help is welcome! :)

PS. I know that if i wanted lower noise i could have picked a lower RPM fan. But i geuss that's too late now. Atleast it's pushing cold air..

Save the fan profile to your desktop, right click and open with Notepad++ (or notepad) and change the fan percentages.

I can't explain more than that because my command center is broken so I can't do it then tell you, this is from memory.

You should try with Speedfan. It gives much better control over fans but has very hard learning curve and terrible UI. With most 3pin fans slowest they can run is 30% (or 5V). Or that they start on that speed and can go down to 4V before stopping. You need to test what is the actual speeds for those. With my Specre Pro's it was 30% for starting and 15% slowest running speed before stopping.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

if it is a 4 pin fan you can easily go slower, if it is a three pin fan its not very good to run them that low. a motor that isn't spinning is more or less a dead short.

Save the fan profile to your desktop, right click and open with Notepad++ (or notepad) and change the fan percentages.

I can't explain more than that because my command center is broken so I can't do it then tell you, this is from memory.

AFAIK the new update broke that function. 

You should try with Speedfan. It gives much better control over fans but has very hard learning curve and terrible UI. With most 3pin fans slowest they can run is 30% (or 5V). Or that they start on that speed and can go down to 4V before stopping. You need to test what is the actual speeds for those. With my Specre Pro's it was 30% for starting and 15% slowest running speed before stopping.

I did install speedfan. It's terribly confusing though. Any links for some good tutorials?

if it is a 4 pin fan you can easily go slower, if it is a three pin fan its not very good to run them that low. a motor that isn't spinning is more or less a dead short.

Well i don't want to buy new casefans when i just got them. But even if they did run dead at some point it would be okay. 

I did install speedfan. It's terribly confusing though. Any links for some good tutorials?

Documentation explains some. I might do some myself if I have time. First thing is to force all fan controller chips (and headers) to be software controlled. Done from Advanced tab in options. It lists all controller. Select one with PWM controls listed, set them to Software only and mark Remember this. Then in Temps tab select one-by-one all temps you want to use as source and set desired temp to something in which fan will go full power (I set it 60C for CPU). In Speeds tab you can set min and max speeds for fans (don't know how much effect that has if you use custom profiles).

On Fan Control click Advanced fan control to enable custom curves. Select fan controller you want to use and add temperature you want it to be based. I used #0/1 for CPU since it will be hottest. After that it allows you to make curve. You can't add or delete points, which is issue for me. If you select multiple cores or sensors, you can select how the temps are seen in software between max and sum. I'd use MAX if you have only CPU temps as sensors. Then just make curve(s). You can do minor adjustments with right click. You can also move low and high temp points by arrow buttons.

When ready, go to Options tab and set delta to 3-5. Its how big increments Speedfan adjust fan (in percent). Having it 10% by default can be heard as fans ramping up and down. There's other good boxes to tick like Start minimized and Minimize on Close. Last thing is to press OK and on main screen tick Automatic fan control box. This enables both "normal" automation and if you have ticked Advanced fan control box, your custom curves. If you like to test min and max rpms and how they relate to percentage, leave it unticked and adjust with boxes and arrows on main screen.

I hope that helps. I just did that and I still have things to google and figure out. ^ That was combination of several guides, forum threads and official documentation...

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I literally just did it..

Messed around with some settings and yes it still works. I geuss i believed the comments on the vid too fast. Thanks!

The graph looks really weird now but it works. 

If i go lower than 30% the fan stops. So i geuss setting it to a minium while still spinning would be good.

Any recommendations for certain speeds for certain temps?

M9kGYdX.jpg?1

Documentation explains some. I might do some myself if I have time. First thing is to force all fan controller chips (and headers) to be software controlled. Done from Advanced tab in options. It lists all controller. Select one with PWM controls listed, set them to Software only and mark Remember this. Then in Temps tab select one-by-one all temps you want to use as source and set desired temp to something in which fan will go full power (I set it 60C for CPU). In Speeds tab you can set min and max speeds for fans (don't know how much effect that has if you use custom profiles).

On Fan Control click Advanced fan control to enable custom curves. Select fan controller you want to use and add temperature you want it to be based. I used #0/1 for CPU since it will be hottest. After that it allows you to make curve. You can't add or delete points, which is issue for me. If you select multiple cores or sensors, you can select how the temps are seen in software between max and sum. I'd use MAX if you have only CPU temps as sensors. Then just make curve(s). You can do minor adjustments with right click. You can also move low and high temp points by arrow buttons.

When ready, go to Options tab and set delta to 3-5. Its how big increments Speedfan adjust fan (in percent). Having it 10% by default can be heard as fans ramping up and down. There's other good boxes to tick like Start minimized and Minimize on Close. Last thing is to press OK and on main screen tick Automatic fan control box. This enables both "normal" automation and if you have ticked Advanced fan control box, your custom curves. If you like to test min and max rpms and how they relate to percentage, leave it unticked and adjust with boxes and arrows on main screen.

I hope that helps. I just did that and I still have things to google and figure out. ^ That was combination of several guides, forum threads and official documentation...

Thanks for the detailed description! It certainly helps. Speedfan gives a lot more options than the MSI command center (Which for some reason works now), so maybe i'll end up using speedfan eventually instead. I've seen some guides explaining how to set it up to boot up with windows. Shame the UI is still not that good.

I don't know about those kind of things :P

These are my idle temps now, and it's pretty quiet. Should be good ^^

LfoMQAb.jpg?1