Signs of Gpu memory overclock instability

gilang01

What are the signs of vram overclocking instability? I heard that the symptoms are quite different from core overclock instability.

Black textures is usually the big one.

Is flickering green dots also something to look out for?

probably

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Artifacting is common with unstable memory overclocks. If I go over around 800 MHz on the memory of my Radeon HD 6670, I start to see red fuzzy things all over the screen when gaming.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Huh, funny. With an AMD graphics card, I get red dots, and you get green with an NVIDIA one. And, yes, that does sound like memory instability.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Flashing of various colours, usually red, black or green, and usually square, dots or diamond in shape, you'll sometimes get static across portions of or over the entire screen, and reduced performance is another effect and even driver crashes, complete system hangs, blue screens or CTD's in more rare cases, and there may be other artifacts that I can't remember right now.

And even more annoying, some games will run rock solid with huge memory overclocks but then others will crash with barely a 50MHz overclock on the memory, it's a total crapshoot tbh, and most games don't benefit from an increase in memory speed by any meaningful amount, usually less than 5% for a 15-20% RAM speed increase

I've even seen artifacting on stock clock GPU's with excellent cooling, so again, it's a total crapshoot and you may not always win the silicon lottery.

With GPU core overclocking, you'll see flashing textures sometimes, freezes, CTD's and bluescreens and driver crashes much more often, you'll also see flashing of various colours and shapes, more often than not they're usually a blue or red colour and most often are a dot or series of dots, and a sudden drop in performance is observed with very high core clocks above a certain point.

Games tend to be more forgiving with GPU core overclocks though, and most will run just fine with even very large overclocks and most games will get about 1% performance increase in performance for every 2% increase in core clock speed, not always the case though, and some games have been known to show even greater than a one to one performance increase with every increase of clock speed.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon